Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Brightness revisited - another option (Mirror Foil)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Brightness revisited - another option (Mirror Foil)

I've tried both the aluminum foil and HVAC tape solutons to recover the 3 light tunnels with fair success. I just tried another inexpensive alternative and it is by far the best solution to date. A Rennlist member who owns RG Custom Signs sent me a $10 strip of adhesive-backed mirror foil that is used in the sign making industry (see below). It worked like a champ. The two advantages are a) the adhesive side stays mirror-like if you rub it down well, and b) it doesn't tear easily like foil.

Definitely worth looking at this stuff if you can find some. Howard

Last edited by SDGuy; 01-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh hell yes, that should work great. I used the AC tape and it is adequate, this solution would make it much better!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you end up adhering it to the inner sections of the reflectors or is there a shiny side under the peel-off and applied to the outside after the old reflecto is cleared off? I looked for something like this but never thought about trying a sign shop...thanks for the tip!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SD, I used something similar,Silver reflective mylar,that I bought at our local hobby shop.Worked very well but it looks like yours is more reflective. FRED
Old 10-03-2005, 12:55 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

This stuff is good- you can shave using it as a mirror. The best part is that the underside has a very light coating of adhesive and when pressed down, becomes just about as reflective as the non-adhesive side. So you need no glue or tape to re-cover the light tunnels in all the places it had silver originally.

I removed my 3 light tunnels and soaked them in non-acetone nail polish remover for 2 minutes and the old nasty silver slid right off without distorting the clear plastic. I left one tunnel in too long and it got slightly hazy, but I used some very fine sandpaper and plastic polish to get it clear once again.

Wish I had found this material to begin with. I just wrote to the fellow who sent it to me and asked if he'd provide it to others. I think he was concerned about the "sales" rules on Rennlist, but for a $10 item that no sponsor sells, maybe we can coerce him to give out his phone number. I didn't want to post it without his permission.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGuy
This stuff is good- you can shave using it as a mirror. The best part is that the underside has a very light coating of adhesive and when pressed down, becomes just about as reflective as the non-adhesive side. So you need no glue or tape to re-cover the light tunnels in all the places it had silver originally.

I removed my 3 light tunnels and soaked them in non-acetone nail polish remover for 2 minutes and the old nasty silver slid right off without distorting the clear plastic. I left one tunnel in too long and it got slightly hazy, but I used some very fine sandpaper and plastic polish to get it clear once again.

Wish I had found this material to begin with. I just wrote to the fellow who sent it to me and asked if he'd provide it to others. I think he was concerned about the "sales" rules on Rennlist, but for a $10 item that no sponsor sells, maybe we can coerce him to give out his phone number. I didn't want to post it without his permission.
I'll take a section of that film. I really don't think this is like selling a kit or anything where competition with vendors is a problem. Maybe you could provide his email to those of us interested and we can take it from there. I really would like this to work out. It's a hard product to source in small quantities.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I can source it to the board if there is no problem with the moderators? PM me if you are interested. I could even precut it for you if you like. Make it a precut kit of sorts.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Energy9
Advanced

I used the mirror repair kit sold by autozone ansd it worked great. Just peel off the thin mirri surface off the plastic backing . > $10 total cost
Old 10-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use tin foil AND HVAC duct tape, lol. Shiny side of the foil in, then put the tape over it to protect and hold it. Worked great for me every time
Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rennlist Charter
Rennlist will accept occasional commercial postings (not more than twice per month) to the general Rennlist e-mail discussion lists providing that they are short (25 lines or less). The Rennlist Forums will not accept any commercial postings without a Rennlist Sponsorship and/or Membership or prior consent of the Rennlist Administrator(s), and as a Member/Sponsor, limited to two Rennlist Forum threads per month. 'Commercial' postings are defined as those made by vendors with the intent to promote or sell goods or services. If you post as a commercial vendor/business more then twice per month, you will be contacted off the list by the Administrator and could be asked to take a three week "vacation" from Rennlist - should you object, the Administrator will be more then willing to help you "go on vacation" for that time period.

As a Rennlist Member, you are entitled to a small occasional commercial offering.

Feel free to go ahead with this.

PS- Any local sign shop will have that on a roll. Tell them you want a small piece of "chrome-colored" vinyl. They shouldn't charge more than $5-$10. However, if someone has it pre-cut for our application, that would be very cool and would save some time.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Looks like a good solution to me.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Let me measure the extra instrument panel I have tonight and I'll make some pre-cut kits. I'll post some pics of a prototype of the kit. Once I know how much material it will take I'll price the kits. Stay tunned...
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Howard thanks for the kind words. Glad that stuff worked out for you.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:45 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

For the price difference, I'd just go with the replacement originals....since you have the whole thing already apart anyway.

Might as well do it right....seen the replacements for $99.

No gluing, cutting, or mess.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

With a precut kit there will be no cutting or glueing since the adhesive is on the vinyl. My guess is the kit will be between $10-12 USD with shipping in the US. When we package up the kit it will be put together with application tape so you won't have to worry about tearing the vinyl as you rub it down.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Brightness revisited - another option (Mirror Foil)