Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh My! Mighty loose belt..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:20 PM
dean944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh My! Mighty loose belt..

When I first joined in on this site I ask about a problem with noise from
front of engine at cold startup. I was told to go to a thicker oil so I went
to 15w50 M1. This did not help. The tapping noise went away in just a min.
or so though.

I took the timing belt cover off last night and I found the problem. The cam belt is way too loose! I can easily push the belt to the back cover side just below the cam gear. Glad I took the cover off. The top frt cover WILL NEVER BE BACK ON! The belt looks really good. I was told by PO it was r/r 1 year ago but no receipt. I will likely replace the belts when all the parts arrive Thurs of next week.

My 27mm thin wrench is on order but not here till next week. Is there anyway to tighten the gear with a standard wrench?

I can't stand to see it just sit in garage. I bought it to drive!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i think you can, its just a tight fit. might have to drop the fans to get a good angle (6 screws)
Old 09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

The belts neeb to be retensioned after replacement. I think many failures result from overlooking this. If the belt is correctly tensioned when new, it will get *scary* loose in 1500 miles. If it is overtensioned it can lead to failed waterpumps or rollers. I think a lot of 'mechanics' just put it on 'too tight' and figure it'll loosen up to 'about right.' I think this approach is 'pretty stupid.'

-Joel.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:50 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belt re-tension needs doing after 2000-2500 miles. The main problem on initial install is the belt gets tensioned, the tensioner fixing nuts are tightened and that is it....it isn't.. The engine must be rotated twice after EVERY adjustment and rechecked. The fixing nuts must be tightened with the tensioner hex being held. If done that way there a no problems.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Lucky you in catching that!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dean944
When I first joined in on this site I ask about a problem with noise from
front of engine at cold startup. I was told to go to a thicker oil so I went
to 15w50 M1. This did not help.
Who told you that?

There are far too many "experts" on this site who have no idea what they're talking about, and too many others who are too wimpish to call BS when they see it.

That advice was wrong, and I'm surprised no one else mentioned in in the thread. No, wait, I'm not surprised. But I'm glad you found the real problem before your engine self destructed.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure who told you that but everything on here is a "suggestion" as its almost impossible to diagnose something over the internet.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
dean944
Racer

Yes, I understand that it is hard to troubleshoot over a forum. I have to do such over the phone with techs in the telecom indus. every day. It's very difficult.

I noticed that the belt sorta flopped around and then smothed out after warm up. Is this due to the expanding effect of metals?

Should our engines be at norm. running temp to get a good belt tension check?

I over analize often. I may have soom Col. Klink in my blood huh?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
Who told you that?

There are far too many "experts" on this site who have no idea what they're talking about, and too many others who are too wimpish to call BS when they see it.

That advice was wrong, and I'm surprised no one else mentioned in in the thread. No, wait, I'm not surprised. But I'm glad you found the real problem before your engine self destructed.
Uh oh. Better watch it, truthful comments like that may cause you to get a rather nasty PM from our local Rennlist Evangelist.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Old 09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dean944
I took the timing belt cover off last night and I found the problem. The cam belt is way too loose! I can easily push the belt to the back cover side just below the cam gear. Glad I took the cover off. The top frt cover WILL NEVER BE BACK ON! The belt looks really good. I was told by PO it was r/r 1 year ago but no receipt. I will likely replace the belts when all the parts arrive Thurs of next week.

My 27mm thin wrench is on order but not here till next week. Is there anyway to tighten the gear with a standard wrench?

I can't stand to see it just sit in garage. I bought it to drive!
You might want to buy a belt-tensioning tool, called Krikit 1. They sell it at NAPA for $10 or so.
FYI: a properly tensioned belt feels like it's loose to a guy with not much experience.
I also suggest that you inspect the gears on the crankshaft if they are tight (i.e. the balance gear against the timing gear): there's a real possibility that the belt feels loose because some gears are loose, not because the belt stretched out.

Quick Reply: Oh My! Mighty loose belt..