Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there separate relays for Headlights and the Headlight Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:32 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are there separate relays for Headlights and the Headlight Motor

I upgraded my headlights with the paragon products kit, and I bought the 40 watt relay they recommended. Everything worked fine when I first installed it. Now, the headlights work, the headlights swivel up when I turn them on, but when I turn them off, the headlights go out but they stay in the on position. There does not appear to be any binding in the mechanism, and I can easily turn everything manually. I am at a loss as to why they would go up but not down. I tried replacing the relay that plugs right into the headlight motor to see if that is the problem, but it was not. Is there another relevant relay? Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model, year?
In early 944 there is no separate relay for headlights, but there is a relay at the headlight motor.
I suggest that you unplug the 4-pole connector at the headlight motor, and start testing:
apply 12V to the constant power and 12V to the wire that lowers the headlights. You have the electrical schematics?
If everything works OK, unplug the headlight switch, and similarily apply voltage to the proper pins on the harness connector, and see if you can make it running.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Stan.

It is an '84. I have already replaced the relay at the headlight motor. I don't have a wiring schematic, but I think there is an article about this at Clark's Garage. Good idea.

Todd
Old 09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're welcome.
FYI, a few days ago I fixed a similar problem (in my case the parking lights stopped working too). It was a funny problem, because the battery voltage at the headlight switch was OK without the switch (pin 30), but the voltage would go down when the load was connected (i.e. with the switch). Must have been a corroded contact somewhere. I didn't have patience to trace it, and I ran a bypass wire from the battery.
In your case the switches inside the housing of the headlight motor are a suspect (possibly corroded slider on an arch-like contact).

Quick Reply: Are there separate relays for Headlights and the Headlight Motor