Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof seal starting to tear

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:21 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof seal starting to tear

A few days ago I noticed about a 3" tear going lengthwise along the sunroof seal. Its right on the top of the car, so the white thing inside sorta pops out. I covered it with duct tape just so that water didnt get in, and I know it needs to be fixed.

I remember reading a lot about how changing the sunroof seal was a much bigger PIA then expected, and that it would not open/close correctly w the auto sunroof. Is this the part people were talking about? And how big of a PIA is it to change and get fitted correctly? (its for an 84 944.. cause i dunno what happened to my sig but it dissappeared)

To clerify better.. it is the blackish colored piece that you can see if you look at the top of the car .. the black cylandrical looking thing thats attached to the actual sunroof not the body of the car) it is not the foamy looking piece that goes below that.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Hi Scott – I have the same thing only worse on my 84 – 944 it actually was like that when I bought it. I have heard the same as you about them fitting so I was wondering if one from the dealer would be better. I was quoted a price of $140. I keep putting it off. Mine isn’t leaking even though a big chunk of the white piece is sticking out. I have tried to glue the piece, tape it and hot glue it and it didn’t stay put. I don’t think that it ever seals well enough to keep out the water it’s the sunroof drains that keep the inside dry, along with the weather stripping type of seal that is on the under side of the sunroof.

Be careful about using any kind of tape if it’s on the body of the car especially duct tape the sun reacts to it and the glue oozes.

Only paying members get a signature. Notice I don’t have one either.

Are you back at FFLD U this year?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Hey.. yup I'm back at Fairfield. Junior year so i still have about 2 yrs up here.

Also.. as I always mix the two names up.. i meant electrical tape (the black one).. I figured it would cost around that.. i was hoping i was looking at the wrong part though. I guess when i come across a little extra money ill take this one to get fixed.. because my sunroof isnt leaking water either (though I think my battery still is) .. damn car got damp again during the downpour last week.

Quick Reply: Sunroof seal starting to tear