Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought my 924 when i was 19 to restore, found out it wasn't really worth investing in so i sold it 2 years into the project. bought thet 944 about 6 months later when i was 20. i used it as a daily alternative to the stealth for a while. then the stealth did the typical mitsu/dodge thing and broke, the 944 became the daily save for 3 years or so till it gave up the ghost in a literal blaze of glory.

still looking for the right one to replace it. test drove an 87 8V 2 weeks ago, just not quick enough, so gotta look for an s2 or turbo(probably s2)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Was 26 when I went from a used 914 to a new 944 in 1986. Wanted the 944 when it first came out but couldn't afford it but when the 85.5 came out I managed to save up enough. At 53 I still have that car plus 3 other 44/51's. Definitely though I was stuck in the 80's for a while but I did buy a new 911 to add to the fleet for the new century
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
kyle944
Advanced

Reason: I bought my '97 Guards Red 944 when I was 16 with the money I had been saving since age 10. Throughout the years in elemenary and middle school, my classmates would make fun of me (I was actually bullied a lot) and they would tell me that I would never have a nice car. In fact, my 5th grade teacher told me to "just give up. stop dreaming and accept reality". I was tired of being teased all the time just because I liked cars. My few friends tried to get me to buy a Civic Si, heck, my mom tried to get me to buy a '96 Camry Wagon. I wanted something fun, not practical. Something with passion. The 944 is basically me as a car. I will never forget the first day I drove it to school. When I walked out to the parking lot after school, there was a considerable crowd of kids looking at it. I just walked up to it, got in and drove away. I'll never forget the look on my classmates' faces as they realized the kid they once made fun of had reached his goal.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Age Currently: 27, turn 28 in August

Reason: My neighbor had a 500hp Turbo S and I had never seen a 944 before. The more I saw it the more I liked it, then I found out the car comes with forged internals, Brembo brakes, rwd, and excellent weight distribution. I wanted a 240 s13 at the time but the 951 looks way better and founding out they didn't make a lot of turbo models I decided that's what I wanted. I purchased her for 2,800 and honestly can see she is more fun to drive than my dads 08 Corvette.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle944

Reason: I bought my '97 Guards Red 944 when I was 16 with the money I had been saving since age 10. Throughout the years in elemenary and middle school, my classmates would make fun of me (I was actually bullied a lot) and they would tell me that I would never have a nice car. In fact, my 5th grade teacher told me to "just give up. stop dreaming and accept reality". I was tired of being teased all the time just because I liked cars. My few friends tried to get me to buy a Civic Si, heck, my mom tried to get me to buy a '96 Camry Wagon. I wanted something fun, not practical. Something with passion. The 944 is basically me as a car. I will never forget the first day I drove it to school. When I walked out to the parking lot after school, there was a considerable crowd of kids looking at it. I just walked up to it, got in and drove away. I'll never forget the look on my classmates' faces as they realized the kid they once made fun of had reached his goal.
Interesting story Kyle, thanks for sharing. I know growing up like you a was tortured from elementary, middle and the first year of high school. Not a fate I wish on anyone, I struggled with lots of self esteem issues, suicidal thoughts and attempts and then the Lord came in my life and helped me push through. Congrats on your success sir!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
ditch68
Racer

I'm 44. I grew up 10 miles from Road America, watching 935s, 962s, etc on the IMSA curcuit racing in anger, and had a 944 poster (among many other race car posters) on my wall when I was a kid. I grew up around and in racing, my dad and I built a drag car, he used to be gas man on a Busch series NASCAR team, etc.etc.

It just took me 30 years and a pile of hotrods and motorcycles to start buying Porsches, first a 944S, then a '65 912 (with 911 engine - European hot rod, I miss that one), and now 2 951s later and I am looking for an early N/A to keep the turbo company.

Over 40 cars in my life, and the 951 is the one I love the most, and will finally be keeping. It has everything I want, great handling, style, it is an affordable race car for the street!

Jeff
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
ditch68
Racer

Originally Posted by kyle944

That's a great story, buddy. Revenge of the car nerd, I love it!!

Jeff
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

odurandina has fallen.

dammit; i can't believe i missed this one. i'd skimmed almost every thread dating back to just about this time.

my first 944 was an '87S which i got for pennies with 17k miles in the fall of 1990, and 99k miles later i cooked the motor.

next was a 928S4 that nearly ended me $$$

a few years later, after P-car bankrupcy, i decided to look at 968 (the car that i really wanted anyway).

unfortunately, in the summer of 2007, the cars were still a small fortune. but things turned over in a hurry late that same year.

in early 2008, i found this gem of a 968 on the south coast of North Carolina.

i talked a nice 82 year old man who babied the car down to a below market price.

i'm a bit long past 40.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Mid 30s now, ealry 20s with my first 951 purchase, and the story of why I made that purchase goes something like this:

In 1996 I was driving an 8v VW GTI, and as a birthday gift I was given a DE event at watkins glen with the Audi club (Father had a B5 A4 Audi at the time). And besides having a blast in my own car (that topped out at 113 mph) I wandered around the pits asking people for rides. Two cars were memorable, a Ferrari 308 that was turned into a full blown race car, and a 951 that was mostly race car but strill steetable. The Ferrari was an increadible ride, the v8 made all the right noises, but the 951 was something else. On the first lap out on cold tires I was amazed at the speed, but as we came around to start the hot lap the owner of the 951 really opened up the taps. I could not believe the pace of this stockish looking car. The thust once on boots was unreal, the brakes felt like they would throw you out the windshield, and the grip in corners was like the Predator at Darien Lake (upstate NY theme park). On the drive home from the track I was determined to buy a 951 sometime soon, it turns out that time was about 4 years later, but very much worth the wait.

It has been 13 years after that first purchase, and while I did take a break from cars to live in NYC, I am happy to once again have a 951 in the garage.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Car: 1984 944 NA

Why: When I was 14 my dad bought an '82 924, and when I turned 16 and got my license it was the first car I drove. I just loved the feel of the car and the overall look. A few months later I came across and '84 944 for a very reasonable price and jumped on it. Over the last six years I've learned quite a bit about the cars (through trial and error, admittedly) and just purchased my second '84. They're also a nice challenge to work on, which I seem to enjoy, sometimes...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell heres mine:

Age now: 19

Car: 87 944S

The scoop: I was also in highchool when I first got exposed to 944's. When I was a freshman in high school there was a senior with a little gold/beige sports car that always ripped down the street that my school was on and sometimes up the street that I lived on. One day walking home I got a good look at it. It said "Porsche" and "944" on it. Went home and looked it up to find that it would become one of my dream cars. Once I was walking by it when he started it up and the sound it made was amazing.

Fast forward 4 years to my senior year in HS - I had a nice chunk of change built up (and a job to keep it there) and was on the hunt for a "cool" car. I had let go of any chance of getting an 944 due to my limited insurance budget. I kept looking for cars and striking out. In the meantime my car budget kept growing. One day I found the add for my car on craigslist. Went to have a look, sat in it, drove in it, loved it. Bought it a week later. Even though I live two blocks from the HS I went to, I still drove to school every chance I got. Everyone loved the car. I was 18 at the time. April 24th will mark a year of ownership.

If I had it to do over again would I change anything? Absolutely not. This car has turned out to be a stark reflection of me as an individual and I would have it no other way.

First car I've ever owned and probably will be one of the best.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread resurrection..
Amazing how few of the 2005 era posters are still on this forum... Now Cayenne owners perhaps?

Anyway, 46 years old (I think)

Had to have a 951 after a test drive in 1986.... Still have to have one.

Redo: With a reliable daily driver at now 260k miles, I would say nothing.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
kyle944
Advanced

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Interesting story Kyle, thanks for sharing. I know growing up like you a was tortured from elementary, middle and the first year of high school. Not a fate I wish on anyone, I struggled with lots of self esteem issues, suicidal thoughts and attempts and then the Lord came in my life and helped me push through. Congrats on your success sir!
Thanks! It's great to know I'm not alone!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Age: 23 (now) - Got the car on 9/30/09 (Holy cow, almost four years ago!)

Why: I wanted a cheap fun car to beat on and save the abuse on my daily driver. Manual, RWD and under $3500 were the only requirements. I was going to get a MR2 but the night before I went to drive it in Denver (2.5 hour trip) the guy sent me an email saying that the engine had just blown. That ended those plans. I then learned about the 944 and found this one within a few weeks. Original plans were to repaint it pearl white and throw in an LS1. I've decided to stay with the factory color (should be ready to spray next week) but would still like an LS1 someday when I have some spare cash.

Do different: I probably should have driven a few other cars, this was the only one I drove so had nothing to compare it to. So far I've put less than 10k miles on it, but haven't had any major issues in that time. 230k (50k on claimed rebuild) with the original owner giving the car to his son a few months before I bought it means that at least I didn't buy a trashed lemon.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

I'm 45 years old. When I turned 40 I wanted a sports car and was considering FD RX-7s, the car I coveted in 1992 when I graduated from law school. After researching, I learned they weren't a good buy so I moved on. In high school I always liked the 944, but back then they were pretty common among the yuppie non-enthusiasts so I didn't pay them much mind. However, I knew they were pretty hot cars and I remember R&T or C&D had always written them up very favorably.

So in 2008 I signed up here on Rennlist and got some good advice. Shortly thereafter I found my '84 n/a with the updated S2 nose, Fikse FM10 wheels and never looked back. I've had a bunch of hiccups along the way but I love my car and like to think that, if I were a spoiled kid in high school (which I certainly could've been but wasn't) it's the car I would've owned.

Quick Reply: How old are we? Why do we own our cars?