Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any bodywork people here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 03:33 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Any bodywork people here?

Some will remember that 12 hours after I bought my car, my neighbor backed into it, shoving the bumper in and to the right.
That was taken care of, fine.

But, the autobody place missed a few things that were not immediately obvious. The lower valence was bent a bit, and the right front fender was a little warped. Hard to see unless you're looking straight on and doing a direct comparison, or looking from underneadth at the valence.

The insurance jerk came by the other day and took some pics, after months of my calling him trying to get him back over.
Today they told me they aren't going to cover it. They claim it's "old damage" and can tell because of "filler bleed through" on the Fender, and some light scratch marks in the otherwise perfect paint.

WTF is filler bleed through? He's saying there'a a filler on my fender that's bleeding through the paint? Bull****e!
I did a tap and magnet test on the fender today. I'm extremely familliar with "tap tests" because I've done them on acoustic soundboards for guitars. taptapta *thunk* and you've got a dead spot. Well, there were no "dead spots" in my fender. The magnet test is to check magnetic pull strenght. Less pull strenght = extra material between magnet and metal.

The body shop is prepared to back me up that this was caused by my neightbor's hit.

SO, who can tell me exactly what "filler bleed" is? Any other ways to tell if the fender has had prior repairs?

I'll upload a PDF file the insurance jerk put together, if anyone want to see it..
get it here: http://www.wolfetone.com/images/jerk.pdf
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I thought having painted my car (with a little bodywork) I may be able to help you, but unfortunately I can't. However, there are two forum sites I have visited frequently as I have learned. Both these forums are frequented by knowledgable pros who may be able to help.

The first is Kevin Tetz's Paintucation (clicky 1) . Kevin himself tries to reply to most topics (Kevin had made a series of acclaimed body shop DVDs and does a bunch of TV stuff).

The second is the AutoBodyStore break room (clicky 2) . This is a high traffic board, with no need to register, so it is fast to get stuff posted.

Hopefully one or both of these will help you.

As well, there are others on this board, who may not have seen this yet, who might know more. Dan (XSBoost90) is a likely candidate.

I opened the attachment, and the pic of the fender is too small for me to see anything. If you can get some more up close shots, it may be helpful for those looking. The only other thing I might suggest, is take a look at the backside of the fender where the "old repair" is supposed to be. Good chance you will see something if it has been damaged and filled.

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:09 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This insurance guy seems a bit oit...I mean out there
Can't this guy use a flash. Maybe you need to call and get another adjuster out there. Do you have any pictures from when you first were considering buying the car( IIRC you posting it here before the corvette post).
Maybe more shots like this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/205025-i-think-i-found-the-right-car.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/205350-well-i-bought-the-porsche-today.html

I have always taken tons of shots of a car before and right after I purchase it for this exact reason...and nice before and after shots

And OT
amjf088 that is one clean paint job!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Filler bleed through is TECHNICALLY where dye in the bondo and/or hardner litterally "bleeds" through and discolors the paint. This usually happens on very light colored cars. The term could also be incorrectly applied to sand scratches sinking in from a repair that is drying/aging.

You're going to have to start pissing in someone's ear to get anywhere with this. Take that from a 10 year damage appraiser.

Quick Reply: Any bodywork people here?