Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autothority Chips plus boost controller...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005 | 11:39 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Default Autothority Chips plus boost controller...

I just bought some autothority chips from a fellow lister, I am not sure if it is stage one or two...well, I also just installed a boost controller...I have read a few people say not to run both...why is that? What is the problem here..
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:46 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

The fuel curves in Autothority chips are not mapped to match the boost curve created by a mechanical boost controller. Depending on what boost level you set the MBC at, you are risking a lean condition on the top end.

The APE Stage II chips are designed for the jetted or restricted banjo bolt, not other boost system modifications like waste gate shims, drilled cycling valve, or the mech boost control valve.

You could probably get the chips to work safely with various boost system modifications, but you would need to do the air/fuel mixture tuning on a dyno with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator - and that probably still wont fully compensate for the chip's original fuel map curve.
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:49 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Just don't set the LBE any higher than 15psi (carefully follow the instructions on their site) and seriously consider a boost gauge.

I ran that set up for 3+ without any problems. In the future, be very careful if you upgrade the the wastegate!
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:49 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

would say...15 psi be too much??

I think i am going to test them vs the weltmeister I already have in there...ideas?
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:50 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The fuel curves in Autothority chips are not mapped to match the boost curve created by a mechanical boost controller. Depending on what boost level you set the MBC at, you are risking a lean condition on the top end.
To add on to what Jim said, I have found that the APE chips run VERY rich in the mid range, and start to lean out up top. Find out what stage the chips are, and run whatever boost they are setup for.
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:54 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Just don't set the LBE any higher than 15psi (carefully follow the instructions on their site) and seriously consider a boost gauge.

I ran that set up for 3+ without any problems. In the future, be very careful if you upgrade the the wastegate!
I am definatly getting a boost gauge...need something to mount it in as wel...*sigh*

anyway, back to the discussion at hand...do you think I can run the same amount of boost with both chips? If so, do you think there will be a noticable gain going from weltmeister at 15psi to autothority at 15psi?
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:56 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

and daniel..its not an LBE...its a Accuboost!! lol...sorry, had to point it out..
Old 09-21-2005 | 12:00 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

The APE stage II chips are designed to run a peak boost of 1.0 bar (14.5 psi gage pressure) and it will drop below 11-12 psi (or less) at redline. If your boost curve does not match that (which it will not with an MBC - it will be more flat), the chips will tend to run rich in the mid range and lean on the high end.

You can probably risk and get away with running other setups with these chips on the street, where extended high rpm/full throttle runs are uncommon (how often do you run the car 4k to 6500 in 4th or 5th on the street?), but if you run the car on the track, you will be burning exhaust valves and blowing/burning head gaskets.
Old 09-21-2005 | 12:10 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bloodraven
I am definatly getting a boost gauge...need something to mount it in as wel...*sigh*
I have the Lotek gauge pod and have just installed the gage panel from Lindsey (fits under radio). I like the Lotek from www.gaugepods.com .

anyway, back to the discussion at hand...do you think I can run the same amount of boost with both chips? If so, do you think there will be a noticable gain going from weltmeister at 15psi to autothority at 15psi?
I'm not familiar with the Welts but would expect the performance to be similar. The mapping may be different. The best thing to do is compare dyno runs with an AFR map.

Quick Reply: Autothority Chips plus boost controller...