Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior delete project under way.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shiners780: What did you do to the interior parts? i maybe interested in a few things here and there, if you are willing to sell them
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dave, that's a good idea about painting the rollcage and interior post install. I haven't planned that far out yet since this will take awhile, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.
As far as interior trim, seats, console pieces, etc. I am selling everything. If anyone wants anything, let me know and I can take and email pics. I am not going to actively sell (eBay) because I don't have the time right now, but if anyone wants something, let me know. I have most trim pieces, center console with ashtray and storage compartment (and yes the lid hinge isn't cracked!), door panels, tan seats both front and rear, stereo and speakers, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.
I still have the Redline Rennsport rollbar for sale as well, $400. Pickup only though, sorry, but it's just too damn big and heavy to ship. Uses factory seat belt mounting points, no drilling or welding or fabricating of any kind! In and Out in 20 minutes tops.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

interior delete.....cool! i've been considering this exact plan. thing is, without prepping the car for any particular class of racing, i'm afraid the resale value would take a nosedive with everything out. but it still looks cool and certainly saves quite a bit of weight.

are you going without windows? and do you plan on driving the car to the track or trailering it?

ah hell, i may just be inspired by your project and rip everything out too....
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Litespeeds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are going for an all out track car. I thought about doing the same but have decided that if I am not going to be "racing" or "competing", I am not going to strip the car clean just in case I get tired of the car and want something else. I figure there are definitely things that can be removed and reinstalled if necessary to save a few pounds. I guess it doesn't hurt if I lose a few extra pounds too. Bottom line is who is behind the wheel.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Shiners- I just sent you a PM- I may well be in the market for some of those parts- do you have the M490 speaker set-up? The ones that go underneath the armrest w/the 5.25 & the 3.5 in the plastic mounting frame? You listed your car as an '88, but, I didn't know if it was an "S" or not...?

I was going to second the idea about putting some lightweight interior carpeting, or, something, back in- you'd be surpirsed how loud these cars can get, &, just a minimal amount of carpeting can make a BIG dif... it's kind of like the law of diminishing returns- that first little bit makes the biggest dif... I remember a simliar project SCC or some magazine did w/a Civic a few years ago- stripped the hell out of it & then drive it- they only yanked ~160lbs or so- said it felt faster, but, was loud as hell- then, they threw just the floor mats back in & said the amount of noise reduction was incredible... Kind of like adding furniture to a room w/hardwood, cement, or, ceramic tile floors... echos from hell, until you add just a piece or two of furniture...

Anyway, ,sounds like a cool project- thanks for listing the weights as you go- I'm sure some here will benefit from that- also, please keep the pics coming... I'm trying to decide how far to go w/mine- it's a street car, so, not nearly as far as you're going, but, it's good to see what other's are doing, to help make educated descisions on what parts will make the most differences, etc....
Old 09-21-2005, 03:37 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

What color car is that you are ripping the interior outta? Looks familiar....hehe.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
interior delete.....cool! i've been considering this exact plan. thing is, without prepping the car for any particular class of racing, i'm afraid the resale value would take a nosedive with everything out. ....
Well a properly built race car is often worth more than street car.

Most NA street car have a hard time over 3-4k. A stripped prepared race or track car can go for 6k to 12k depending on the details.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Well a properly built race car is often worth more than street car.

Most NA street car have a hard time over 3-4k. A stripped prepared race or track car can go for 6k to 12k depending on the details.
yea, i understand that completely. problem is.....the sparco seats I have are not FIA homologated, the rollbar would not work, and the coilover rear suspension is not allowed in certain forms of racing. so......my car doesn't really fit any class. it would need another $2000 of work to make it legal, such as proper seats, a rollcage, harnesses, etc. i have already installed the oil cooler, as you saw, plus a/c delete, and the engine, clutch, and all cooling systems are new. so there is some value in the car, but not enough to make it worth selling for racing at this point.

anyway, i'll probably just keep the car and make it my long term project.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:27 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Holy crap, I've never had so many PMs. I will try to accommodate everyone's requests as quickly and efficiently as possible. Please bear with me, as I don't have a lot of extra time to take pics, look up fair prices, answer emails, and package and ship items. If I don't get back to you within a few days, please PM me again as a reminder. Thanks for the inquiries though, I appreciate the interest!
Joseph mitro -- The windows and power window hardware will be coming out. I will fab up some lexan or plexiglass windows to use while the car is being transported back and forth to the track. I do trailer the car, it hasn't been street legal since I got it last year.
litespeeds -- This car will never see the street again, so everythings coming out with the intent of staying out.
Robby -- Since the car is for track use only, the interior noise level isn't a concern. I have a DE in 10 days, so I'll update on the noise level and lightness feeling after that...should be interesting. The door speakers are Blau PCxp462, 105 max watt, 35 watt rms? Don't know if that's what you're looking for or not.
9fiity1 -- Color looks the same as yours, not sure what it's called because the options code sticker in the trunk was missing when I got the car. It's a dark blue, when the sun hits it just right it kinda has a purplish tint to it.
M758 -- I agree that resale value should be ok with a dedicated track car. The buyers market is smaller (track junkies only), but the $$$ will have already been spent (by yours truly) for all the upgrades and mods. The smart way to do it is to buy one already track prepped...but....well.....I like to do things my way, I get the sense of satisfaction in doing it myself, and I'm learning a hell of a lot about the car by playing "destructo-man".
Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

If I ever get my hands on that '87 924S from my aunt, I'll be in the same boat as you. Thanks for providing some much needed inspiration. now if only I can get the car before the winter.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rich's car

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=interior
Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
M758
Race Director

If the car is track only and trailered why would you even consider rich's interior.

Really that is great for a street driven track car, but for track only.

And who really cars about how the car sounds inside. the open windows make more noise than anything, plus the helmet quiets things down bunch. Really? Guys this is TRACK ONLY Car. Not a street car.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks for the reply- actually, I was looking for the M490 set-up- they are the ones mounted undernreath the armrests on the doors- your's are different, but, I'm still interested in other parts, so, please stay in touch...

Originally Posted by M758
And who really cars about how the car sounds inside. the open windows make more noise than anything, plus the helmet quiets things down bunch. Really? Guys this is TRACK ONLY Car. Not a street car.
My point was just that race cars can be deafeningly loud- I personally think there should be some standard for noise levels in race cars, ableit at a much higher noise level- the fact is, I've never heard a 944 variant at full throttle w/fully stripped interior, etc, but, understand it s quite loud & my point was just formed from reading about the Civic I wrote about & how just the simple addition of floor mats, or, thin carpet, wouldn't add much weight at all- thin floor mats would be maybe 2 - 3lbs total- & would reduce the noise levels by a VERY large percentage- that's all I was saying.. wasn't saying to go back through & do what you took all the time to UNdo... adding full interior defeats the purpose, obviously...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Robby
My point was just that race cars can be deafeningly loud- I personally think there should be some standard for noise levels in race cars, ableit at a much higher noise level- the fact is, I've never heard a 944 variant at full throttle w/fully stripped interior, etc, but, understand it s quite loud & ....
I drive 944 with stripped interior and on a race track is it not loud at all.Of course a turbo always be quieter than an NA with similar mufflers/no muffler since the turbo muffles the exhaust some. The only way it can be loud is with a straight pipe. Even then it is not that loud inside the car. You have a helmet which muffles lots of sound. Then you have the open windows. Really a car like this may not be pleasant on the street, but a race track you have so much more to worry about that noise in the car is a complete non issue. In fact I have heard of some racers wanting a bit more exhaust note so the can hear their own engines better.

Like I said in a street driven car noise inside the car is an annoyance issue. On a track car hardly. Heck the ONLY time you need concern yout self with noise in a track car is the kind that is outside the car 50 ft off the track at WOT.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Joe - I hear you (no pun intended). I am the only car out there with stock exhaust and people are STUNNED with how quiet it is when I go by. That said, I wear earplugs in my car when we run in Enduros with the Cup cars. One of those cars going by you in full song will make your eardrums pop. Not fun.

Back to the task at hand... I will make this suggestion:

When you get to the point that both you and your car are going so fast that the only other cars on the track with you are full race-cars with full cages...
It's time to think to have a cage yourself.
It doesn't make the car go any faster (that's the downside), but it's something to think about carefully.

I have a friend in the region who is BLAZINGLY fast in an M030 968 with Big Reds and a harness bar. He came to me at the track and said "this is crazy, the only cars that are running with me are fully caged race-cars".
A pearl of wisdom in that statement.

Quick Reply: Interior delete project under way.