Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance- The Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005 | 10:17 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Default Balance- The Magazine

A while back there was talk of putting together a magazine for the 924/944/968 crowd. A lot of people showed interest and offered contributions but nothing really took off.

I wanted to revisit this idea as I think it is a good one. Even if it only exists for the Rennlist community as an electronic magazine.

I think it would be a great way to highlight the memebers and users of Rennlist and their cars, include tech data and how-to articles, etc.

With all the talent here with regards to writers, photographers, and designers, we could come up with a quality and inexpensive product.

Would enough people be interested to actually launch this? Who is interested in making contributions? Anyone have print experience that could lead it?

Last edited by streckfu's951; 09-16-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2005 | 11:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

I'd be willing to do some photography. I could write some as well. I've had an article published in Sport Compact Car (text and photography). I have zero time to lead something like this though.
Old 09-16-2005 | 11:35 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

I think it's a great idea. There is so much experience and knowledge here - it's be great to have it all in one easy to reference place, rather than having to search for it.

If you need a proof-reader/minor editor, I'm willing to pitch in there (as I have little publishing experience, and less mechanical experience )

Or - as another idea - there's enough experience here to show how to do a bumper to bumper tear down and rebuild of the 944/941/968 with photos etc. Kind of like a cross between Haynes, Chilton, Rennlist tech articles, and Clark's garage with periodic supplements on performance improvements.

Maybe someone could host the info, or burn it to DVD/CDs.

Between all the cars here, you could have a picture of each model/variation.
Old 09-16-2005 | 11:54 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

I think the idea is great. i say go for it. I currently would not ahve the time to help out but would look foward to reading something to that effect.
Old 09-16-2005 | 11:54 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
I think it's a great idea. There is so much experience and knowledge here - it's be great to have it all in one easy to reference place, rather than having to search for it.

If you need a proof-reader/minor editor, I'm willing to pitch in there (as I have little publishing experience, and less mechanical experience )

Or - as another idea - there's enough experience here to show how to do a bumper to bumper tear down and rebuild of the 944/941/968 with photos etc. Kind of like a cross between Haynes, Chilton, Rennlist tech articles, and Clark's garage with periodic supplements on performance improvements.

Maybe someone could host the info, or burn it to DVD/CDs.

Between all the cars here, you could have a picture of each model/variation.
Automobile Atlanta sells a book ( I have never read or seen it so...)

I think it is a good idea as well, wasn't there a magazined devoted to something like this that only made it a couple of issues and then everybody was waiting for their new issues etc....

I think there are too many variables to do it right, and if it is not done right it will fall flat.
Old 09-16-2005 | 12:22 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I wanted to revisit this idea as I think it is a good one. Even if it only exists for the Rennlist community as an electronic magazine.
if you're in it just for the satissfaction, why don't YOU open a webpage (you can get webspace for a few $ a month): reqest a few articles (technical, racing, commentary, etc) from Rennlisters (e.g. make a specific request on this forum for an article on "testing the braking system", or "compare 944 or 911 against non-Porsche in autoX"), and post the first issue.
There has been lots of talking about it, but somebody must actually do it.
Certainly there will be many drivers that want to contribute, and your webpage will get many hits.

If you want to make money, than I can't offer much suggestions; it's not easy.
Old 09-16-2005 | 12:34 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Testarossa wrote:
Automobile Atlanta sells a book ( I have never read or seen it so...)
Does anyone know if this book is any good? I've seen it in their catalog. I was thinking of something along the lines that would be basic enough (with pictures) and written simply enough that a mechanical newbie could use it, but also with enough detail and performance info that it would be interesting for gearheads, too.

Not that I'm asking for much

For example, the recent trivia thread about interchangeable parts (axles, or something?) - you probably won't find that type of information in Haynes, and prolly not in the factory manuals, either.
Old 09-16-2005 | 12:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can do hosting for free. Ive got my webserver on a T1 line. Ive also already got wasserpumpers.no-ip.com from the last thread since I thought that was what it was going to be called

I can also do up some guides/howtos/etc that ive been meaning to do.
Old 09-16-2005 | 02:55 PM
Geo
Race Director

Web space should not be an issue. Streckfu is a Rennlist member and that means for his $18/year he gets 200Mb of web space. That alone is worth the price of membership.

The hardest part of all this is getting articles and doing the layout. How do I know? When I was the VP of the SE-R Club of America, one of my goals was to put out a quarterly newsletter. I didn't have the software to do the layout, but thankfully someone else did and volunteered to do that. But, just getting quality articles that were original works was tough, even for a quarterly publication. Now, the SE-R community is VERY technically astute for the most part (very similar to the 944 community) and it shouldn't have been hard, but it was neigh on impossible.

This is not a small undertaking and not for the feint of heart.
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:31 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

My vote goes for Web. Then if you want after all is done, just get someone to do some InDesign or pdf and live happily ever after.
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:53 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
A while back there was talk of putting together a magazine for the 924/944/968 crowd. A lot of people showed interest and offered contributions but nothing really took off.

I think it would be a great way to highlight the memebers and users of Rennlist and their cars, include tech data and how-to articles, etc.

With all the talent here with regards to writers, photographers, and designers, we could come up with a quality and inexpensive product.

Would enough people be interested to actually launch this? Who is interested in making contributions? Anyone have print experience that could lead it?

Just be careful of how you portray other pcars...in particular the 928!!!
Wrong - Fat and Lazy
Right - Sleek and Nimble

Wrong - Lesser Porsche
Right - Classic world class Supercar

You don't want the V8 crowd coming down and opening up a can of whoop ***!
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:18 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

And here's a hint regarding potential legal problems:
It might be illegal to use Porsche name/trademark in a technical webpage (we all know why rennlist is called 'rennlist', not something Porsche related), but a webpage that works as an internet magazine/newsletter can use Porsche name, pictures, etc. freely, because EDITORIALS, NEWS, etc. are exempted from privacy, trademark, copyright, etc. protection.

As I'm not a lawyer, please confirm this OPINION with a qualified professional...
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:39 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Sounds cool, I can send some pics of my car to help out...
Old 09-16-2005 | 08:11 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I will look into making this web based as Stan recommended. I'm a little busy with work projects right now but will start it in another month or so. I'd like to get it launched by winter to have something to read and ponder while many of the cars are parked. It will also be a good opportunity to ask people that are working on projects to take pictures and notes to draft an article with.

For the Title I'm thinking of using "Balance". However, "Slow, Lazy, and Bloated Shark" may work too...... Right Dave?

Can anyone recommend a good place to use to host the site? This will be my first Web endevor.
Old 09-16-2005 | 10:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.windingroad.com

Thats an online car magazine. Might have some ideas.

Quick Reply: Balance- The Magazine