Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in Cool. Reseal housing this wkend

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
dean944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Cool. Reseal housing this wkend

Yep, in the mist of troubleshooting many other problems, I found my oil
leak to be coming from oil housing. I also found a chocolate shake in my resevoir. So I have ordered all the parts for the reseal job. Hope to knock it out this Sunday.

Question.. I have read Clark and Tom M.'s instructions on doing this, and since I have a 944na with no oil cooler hoses, will I need to losen the exh. headers and move them? It appears to me that Clark's way is to tackle from above, and Tom rather crawl under.

Which is the better or more accessable attack? Im leaning to Tom's way just minus the oil hose r/r.

Oh, and I am a reg. member now! hooaa
Old 09-14-2005, 05:48 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this on my turbo. I left the headers in and just removed the heat shields ... I believe it was Tom's website that I used for reference. Other than being messy, it is a rather easy job.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
tomrc
Pro

I used Clarks, but went in from underneath (I have access to a lift). Yea messy job but not too difficult. Did you get the oil pressure relief valve alignment tool? I didn't when I started and wound up getting one before I reassembled everything. It delayed me a couple days.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
kgelles
AutoX

Make sure that you use the washers to get the right clearance for the oil cooler element. I think I needed to use two. It will vary though. The notches in the housing cover vary depending on the year of your NA. POrsche modified the housing 86-on. Just make sure you can lay a straigthedge across the lip of the cooling element guideboss flange and make sure it is flush/level with the edge of the cooler housing. Also see Clark's garage.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had to do this a couple of times now. I not all familiar with what Tom M's way is, but, I've had the best luck doing it, removing the headers completely to get the mostest room to manuever and see everything. I really don't know why most are afraid of removing the headers from the head myself, ....it really isn't all THAT big a deal......if your carefull, have the tools, and touch. Different strokes for different folks. PB Blaster/ and time, IS your friend here. Don't force anything along the way.......have a gentle touch, take your time, don't rush it, and all will be good. Of course ya need to flush well also.........as I'm sure ya already know.

Put your car model/year in your signature, when ya get a chance. Welcome, and good luck. Its "all good" !
Old 09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
dean944
Racer

Thanks for the advice. Time and patience? Who has any of that these days. I think most of mine is used up in my commute to work daily. I will do my best though.

Signature? I have looked all thru the user CP and can't find where to add it.

How do you tell what month your 944 was made in? I don't see any labels
under hood with this data. I know it is an early 85, but that's it.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

dean--where on the eastside of ATL do you live? Also, there are no more signatures for non-members, a recent change to free up some space I suppose...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 AM
dean944
Racer

Im in Loganville which is just N of Conyers Ga.

I did pay member dues earlier this week. Maybe it just hasn't been updated yet. I figured from all the help and info Im getting from this website, IT IS defenitely worth $18!

I'll get signature updated when I have access.

Vento , where are you actually?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have big hands then remove the headers. It was very difficult for me to manuever even with the headers disconnected and pushed back from the head. This made the job take a lot longer than it should have.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:25 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I'm in brookhaven/Atlanta Proper. Going to get a 968 next week in Washington state and have it shipped back [provided everything is Kosher]--you'll have to keep an eye out for the next mountain run we have--should be in a month or so up GA 400. Lots of pcars, lots of fun.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
dean944
Racer

Well Im about half way into this job. Not to bad so far. A little messy but not to bad. Course I haven't flushed coolant yet. Mo Messy! Im sure!

Q: I removed cool resevoir. It has a lot of oil shake inside.

Why was the coolant in the radiator almost completely oil free?
Maybe the oil is in there, just didn't come out with the coolant. The flush will tell for sure.

What brand of radiator coolant do you guys recommend? Phosphate free of course.

Randy
85/1 944 na
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I just use regular Dexcool.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 AM
dean944
Racer

Ok, I just did a search on coolant and FORGET I ASK THIS DARN QUESTION!
Man, what a bunch of BS! So many opinions with little conclusive evidence.

Just answer the other question PLEASE! Why was the radiator coolant fairly oil free, but the resevoir was NASTY!

Quick Reply: Oil in Cool. Reseal housing this wkend