Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS 951 update Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS 951 update Ebay

I have been kicking it around lately and have been try decide if i should sell the porsche which i am think it might be time just to let her go and buy me something newer. The thing is that i am not sure if i will get more for it parting it out or selling it whole. I know the car is going to need a paint chips as there are areas on the body that are starting to chip but isn't that noticable. Also i know the engine has a leak which i believe i diagnosed it coming from the balance shaft housing because when me and CPT_koolbeenz was putting the motor back together we forgot to use loctite on that part so it is leaking. Another problem on the car is that it seems like i am getting alot of blow by but the car runs great so i am unsure of the problem right now with that but i don't really have the time to tear into it again. Who knows there might not be anything wrong except for the balance shaft since it is leaking it could be making more blow by. The motor has had alot of work done to it over time and alot of expensive mods. How much you think i could get for it. The motor has 110,000 i believe and has had new rings fresh head, valves, guides, oil pan gasket resealed, wheel bearings, rod bearings, etc... ALot of maintence has been put into the car. And the mods on the car are alot of $$ invested too. most of the mods are in my signature. Now that i think about it i have at least 10k just in extras plus the car. I know i am going to take a loss but i might call it quits Thanks for ur input and if you are interested make me an offer. I rather sell it to a rennlister instead of ebay.

Last edited by daniel951; 09-16-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I sold my 86 last week for 7500. It too had a little blow by 140K miles, and an oil leak, mine was coming from the AOS. The interior was 8.5/10 and the exterior was 6/10, due to 20 YO paint. Lots of mods, Vitesse MAF and #55lb injectors, Koni Yellows, M030 968 front bar, new clutch etc....... 2 inches of receipts, including the congratulation letter to the original owner from Porsche North America back in 1986. But you are also looking for a specific buyer with a modified 951 and if you get an offer, its time to let it go. From what I have seen over the years, the stock cars with documentation will bring much more that modified ones.
My 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Jonathan
Old 09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Well, do what you got to do...but that sure is one sweet ride.
And you knew the minute you started modifying it you would never get your money back out of it.

Parting it out to make more money might do you better, but then you have the time and labor of doing that, messing with selling the parts, shipping...and time is money!

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i figure i would throw it out there since i am thinking about buying a newer car. If i can't hardly get anything for it i will just keep it and let it sit there until i have time to fix it. the car has basically gotten everything new like clutch aos, pads, exhaust and the interior is in really good condition with hardly any crack in the dash
Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by jlturpin
I sold my 86 last week for 7500. It too had a little blow by 140K miles, and an oil leak, mine was coming from the AOS. The interior was 8.5/10 and the exterior was 6/10, due to 20 YO paint. Lots of mods, Vitesse MAF and #55lb injectors, Koni Yellows, M030 968 front bar, new clutch etc....... 2 inches of receipts, including the congratulation letter to the original owner from Porsche North America back in 1986. But you are also looking for a specific buyer with a modified 951 and if you get an offer, its time to let it go. From what I have seen over the years, the stock cars with documentation will bring much more that modified ones.
My 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Jonathan
the sucky part is that the rings are pretty new since they only have maybe 500 miles on them. I guess maybe they never seated right. I didn't install these which i took it to a german mechanic shop.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

New rings with 500 miles and blow by? hmmm... Run it another 1000 miles and see if the problem gets better, if not, do a leakdown test. You *did* follow the break in instructions, and stayed out of the boost, right?

Regards,
Old 09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by sh944
New rings with 500 miles and blow by? hmmm... Run it another 1000 miles and see if the problem gets better, if not, do a leakdown test. You *did* follow the break in instructions, and stayed out of the boost, right?

Regards,
i was unaware of the staying off boost . They didn't tell me anything when i took the car but i knew i didn't get on it really. Maybe the rings will seet better after time. The car has done alot of sitting and havne't been driving really so maybe that is all the problem is. I know the oil leak still has to be fixed though. I knew i couldn't have had a broken ring or scored cylinder walls cause the car run great and i was making over 350 horses without the boost turned up a whole lot.

i am just trying to see how much i can get for it how it is to see if i really want to get rid of it. If someone wants it make me an offer. Right now i owe nothing against the car but i just don't want to put more time into it.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:11 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i am really considering selling this if someone wants to make me an offer. I think if you fix the things i said in the previous posts it will be a very nice and fast car. I know the car is capable of 400rwhp at least as it sits with no head work done. If i don't get any responses within a week and i decide to get rid of it will be on ebay so keep ur eyes out
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I am in the process of buying a 968 to replace the 951. I think I have found one and come to an agreement with the seller.

Good luck with the sell of you 951. The 951 engines that I have built did not have a lot of blowby, hopefully the rings will seat soon. I would do a leak down to see if it is equal on all cyclinders.

Jonathan
Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by jlturpin
I am in the process of buying a 968 to replace the 951. I think I have found one and come to an agreement with the seller.

Good luck with the sell of you 951. The 951 engines that I have built did not have a lot of blowby, hopefully the rings will seat soon. I would do a leak down to see if it is equal on all cyclinders.

Jonathan
thanks john
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i will take 8k and cut my losses. Sad to see how someone could just put a couple of hundred bucks into and get more but i don't time to this. 8k is the price let me know
Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
daniel951
Race Car

bump
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Do yourself a favor, drive the car another 1000 miles and get a leakdown test down before you try to sell it. It should still read a little high, as a well functioning 951 engine doesn't seem to really seal up until about 10k miles on it, but it should be less than 10% and consistent on all cylinders. If you get variances or a lot of leakage, you would probably be better off parting it rather than dumping a car thats going to have problems on someone else. Shame on the folks that rebuilt your engine if they didn't give you specific break-in instructions! That first 500 miles is critical.

Regards,
Old 09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

there was a dude on mach1.org or something that linked everyone (when their cars were still new) to a site of a racer that swears that it is better to drive the car harder and drive the car like normal instead of slowly "breaking" it in. how the heck do race cars do it? if high powered race engines are torn down every race, or simply replaced, they dont really have time to break the engine in, and that would mean that all the time spent on making the engine would be wasted if theyre not going to get full power because its not broken in yet. i will search for the link.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by sh944
Do yourself a favor, drive the car another 1000 miles and get a leakdown test down before you try to sell it. It should still read a little high, as a well functioning 951 engine doesn't seem to really seal up until about 10k miles on it, but it should be less than 10% and consistent on all cylinders. If you get variances or a lot of leakage, you would probably be better off parting it rather than dumping a car thats going to have problems on someone else. Shame on the folks that rebuilt your engine if they didn't give you specific break-in instructions! That first 500 miles is critical.

Regards,
i would hate to part something so nice even though the pay off would be better probably. I have a bunch of friends already wanting to buy all the upgrades but i rather sell it and let someone else either part it or fix the rings. Like i said rings are only 100 bucks for a set and the camshaft all u need is some locktite. Lart951 is looking at the car now since his previous car was totaled. If he intercanged parts from each others car it would be a sick ride. I know he had a LSD and a bunch of suspension mods but nothing is set in stone right now on a deal so i threw it out there to see if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands

Quick Reply: FS 951 update Ebay