Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle return spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:50 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default throttle return spring

Well, got the 'S' back together after intake work (ISV, TPS, vac lines, throttle rebuild, injecters professional cleaned...). Runs very strong, but the throttle spring no longer wants to pull the throttle all the way to the idle contact switch unless I let up very quickly. It only misses by a hair. Car's almost undrivable this way (stalls alot). What do we do about this? Stronger spring?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cut the spring about an inch short and pulled it back onto the throttle.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 173 Posts

They wear with age too. Had a friend have the spring just break at the track, stuck at WOT, had to shut it down before it blew up or put him into the trees. He now runs with TWO springs in that position.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

New Porsche throttle spring (different design, same length) - same result. No surprise I guess. Cut a few coils off the original spring, same thing.

With no spring, I do feel a tiny bit of rubbing just as the throttle closes. I am guessing that's the plate rubbing the bore of the throttle body and holding the throttle open. After I cleaned and rebuilt the throttle, the fit was near perfect - no visible gaps. I don't remember the rubbing, just how smooth everything worked. But who knew a little rubbing here would hose me so badly.

To really inspect / correct the throttle on an 'S' is a ton of work (take the intake manifold off again).

Do I have any choices?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:23 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Alright, I gave in and pulled the intake manifold off again (it's amazing how quickly things go the second time in two weeks, heh?). I was able to loosen the throttle plate screws and move the plate a touch for zero rubbing (the amount of rubbing to begin with was ridiculously small - similar to the load the TPS switch puts on it). So now the throttle closes properly and the car's idling better than ever (probably the ISV. Or the clean injectors. Or the new vaccum lines...).

Quick Reply: throttle return spring