Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control help - 944S

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Red_Z
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate control help - 944S

I need some help diagnosing a couple of issues with my climate control. I've got an '87 944S. I seem to be experiencing 2 quirks.

1) Intermittent fan control - every couple of days I seem to lose the ability to select the 1, 2, or 3 fan speed setting. Fortunately #4 always blows full blast no matter what. Sometimes, I'm able to switch down to 1-3 and they work perfectly, but other times I turn the switch and instead of blowing less it just stops blowing altogether.

2) Hot/Cold thermostat - If I leave the thermostat set at the lowest setting it blows ice cold. But if I try to turn it slightly to make it warmer, it will all of a sudden just start blowing scalding hot air. Its just a toggle now, either ice cold or hot, nothing in between

Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at to diagnose further? Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

I had a 944 for 8 years and I am a bit rusty, and was just trolling and noticed your post
first one is easy . in the blower motor air passage under the plenum( by the wipers ) you will find a module with power resistors there. They are designed to take the load when you switch fan speeds ( thats why they are in the air path of the bpower as they get very hot. There you will find bimetalic strips that curl open if it gets too hot (that's your problem ), the contacts on the bimetalic strip are dirty or not making, clean that area with contact cleaner and you should be fine, be VERY careful as these can be brittle , I bent mine slighty to get better contact and it worked great for 8 years.

The second one MAY be the plastic clips hat break on the heater doors, this is a VERY common problem although it never happened to mine, allows for no heater control, you have to get under the dash and check. There was definitely an article in excellence about this ( sorry don't know the issue ) but I am sure the pelican sight will have something on it .

Overall pretty cheap fixes ,

good luck

ice
Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Red_Z
Intermediate

Thanks! I'll give those a check and see what I can find.
Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

There is one other thing and I'm not downplaying an other comments. I had a heating problem and the heat was erratic. Hot some times next it would be cold. I found that the vacuum line to the accumulator (behind the battery) was off.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Red_Z
I need some help diagnosing a couple of issues with my climate control. I've got an '87 944S. I seem to be experiencing 2 quirks.

1) Intermittent fan control - every couple of days I seem to lose the ability to select the 1, 2, or 3 fan speed setting. Fortunately #4 always blows full blast no matter what. Sometimes, I'm able to switch down to 1-3 and they work perfectly, but other times I turn the switch and instead of blowing less it just stops blowing altogether.

2) Hot/Cold thermostat - If I leave the thermostat set at the lowest setting it blows ice cold. But if I try to turn it slightly to make it warmer, it will all of a sudden just start blowing scalding hot air. Its just a toggle now, either ice cold or hot, nothing in between

Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at to diagnose further? Thanks in advance.
Dave
1) soak the resistor pack in white vinegar for 20-30 min and rinse.

2) i move it to the heat side to circulate water thru the heater occasionally, other than that it stays full ccw.

sounds like my wife, does the same thing in her car, wants to warm up the cold air.

i have a/c to get cold in a hurry and stay cold.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Jim :
adding additional ideas is not downplaying comments ! keep it up . Its always good to see what the final fix was.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Red_Z
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I finally got a chance to look at my car today.....1 down, 1 to go....

#2 - SOLVED - I found the heater door arm and lo and behold the clip has broken and the arm was dangling. So I just need to get a new clip and I'll be good to go on that one.

#1 - Need some more details. I've started to look at the blower motor, but its not clear to me exactly where I'm going to find these resistors. Can someone please provide more guidance on where these things are? Do I need to remove the entire plastic covering over the blower motor to get at these?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 04-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Bump to answer Mike1982's and my question!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...08#post2523808
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 PM
jean_noir
Racer

Ice cold? - Id take that

Quick Reply: Climate control help - 944S