Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt tensioner lock nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:12 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt tensioner lock nut

Hi All,
I just put in a new engine and it has a new style water pump. The PO had a bunch of washers to space out the tensioner but I went ahead and bought the proper spacer. My problem is that the lock nut does not even get flush with the end of the stud when I have the tensioner on. There is about a millimeter or 2 of the nut not engaged. The other issues is that it doesn't really lock anymore. Goes right on. I ran the engine for awhile and checked the belt tension again and the belt was loose. I did not verify the position initially but I think the tensioner slipped some.

Can I use any grade 8 or grade 10 10mm lock nut here? I'll probably use blue loctite. I may need a slighty thinner nut and/or washer to fully engage the stud. I also plan on getting a lock washer rather than the normal washer on there now. Any problems with doing this? The timing belt is too important to get this wrong.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
tuc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. I would really want to make sure that the lock nut fits correctly and does not loosen. Which year of 944 and which tension does your car have? I'm sure you've check the write up on clarks garage on this? This site has a good some good tech articles that may apply.
http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/
http://www.arnnworx.com/tensioningbelts.htm
Do you have access to PET to make sure everything correct?

Quick Reply: Timing belt tensioner lock nut