Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lightweight interior

while changing the interior out i decided to lighten it up a little. all the sound deadening is coming out. the underside of the hatch carpet, the wheel humps in the back, the part over the gas tank, the peices under the floormats, the parts in front of the rear seats, and the large peice on the TT hump.

all being replaced with the stuff that goes under wood flooring. the bigger peices. ie hatch, gas tank part, TT part are going to be double layered since this stuff is pretty thin. im thinking that its going to save around 40-50 lbs. one of the wheel arch peices weighs 2lb 15oz. the peice i made weighs 5 oz.

the green marking on the last pic show where ill be glueing it. hopefully there wont be too much roaqd noise. also, this car got slamed in the rear end. the part over the gas tank is bent up. its obviously not bad enough to do anything negative that i can feel while driving. but im pretty sure the allighnment on the car has to be messed up.

pics:
Attached Images        
Old 09-10-2005, 05:33 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work (Y)

How much do you think a fibreglass dash (wrapped in black vynil, to look stock) save over a regular 944 dash... I've never read how much the original dash weighs...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no sound proofing at all and its fine...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

crazy. anyone remember josh B? he used to hang around alot and had the grey S2 with matching C2 rims.

he didnt have any sound proofing either and he said it drove him NUTS. he ripped out the interior just to put soundproofing in. I geuss it just depends on the person.

when i rode in your car was it already out fishey?

a fiberglass dash sounds awesome. all this interior weight savings will probably be offset by the 10 speaker late system thats going in though. but with this, manual windows, manual sunroof, manual steering, lighter rims, and no AC it should be a nimbler car.

('specially with the turbo. muahahaha )
Old 09-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
crazy. anyone remember josh B? he used to hang around alot and had the grey S2 with matching C2 rims.

he didnt have any sound proofing either and he said it drove him NUTS. he ripped out the interior just to put soundproofing in. I geuss it just depends on the person.

when i rode in your car was it already out fishey?

a fiberglass dash sounds awesome. all this interior weight savings will probably be offset by the 10 speaker late system thats going in though. but with this, manual windows, manual sunroof, manual steering, lighter rims, and no AC it should be a nimbler car.

('specially with the turbo. muahahaha )

Campeck since you road in my car I have changed almost everything on it...

I guess it might be because my car is a cabriolet?
Old 09-10-2005, 11:20 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

all that sound deadening material certainly is heavy. i took it all out, but my car is not a daily driver. i'm considering just going with bare metal and the sparco seats. now that's lightweight
Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed a lot, but not all of the sound deadening material. I did remove that heavy black rubber peice under the rear hatch carpet and noticed no difference in noise at all.

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Boricua944
Pro

I've taken all mine out doesn't bother me at all...
Old 09-11-2005, 07:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Campeck,

Nice to see your car coming back together. If it has been whacked in the back and shows signs of driving funny, it could simply be an alignment issue. Maybe before you get to involved in this one, take it in to ensure that they can still align it to spec. There isn't a whole lot of adjustment room in the rear suspension so if it is really whacked it may not be able to be put back to spec with the simple adjustments available...........Of course, the problem with getting alignent work done early before the car is done is that the ride height will change once you are all done and things are put back in and/or deleted, ideally that would be the very last thing you do. So that is a tough call.

Ok, in regards to your soundproofing removal.....of course you know I think the lightweight stuff is cool. I have to say, though, the stuff you are putting back in will do as much for sound-proofing as a stinky fart . I think you are kinda wasting your time with it, you would get the same effect with nothing in there really.

So, are you keeping the 951 Fuchs as I suggested?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

the car doesnt show signs of driving funny. it goes straight as an arrow down the road and the only evidence is the hump and bend marks. about the fuchs. EEHhhhhhhhhh....idk.

also. it may not do much for soundproofing. but it will keep my carpet nice and spongey
Old 09-11-2005, 11:59 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So campeck, what you doing with a ounce scale
Old 09-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

fedex shipping calculations.

im to lazy to weigh every peice then subtract the peice i made from it. so ill neve rknow how much weight it saved. when im done with everything on the car i geuss i can take it to the scales.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a friend working on a race car project with a car he found in the junkyard and before he did any real work he had an alignment shop just check the overall "Striaghtness" of the car to make sure that it was so badly tweeked that they couldnt align it when it was all finished they charged him like 10 bucks. I took the insolation out of the rear hatch area and i love it cause it makes the exhaust niose deeper on the inside so it must have givin the car like 40 hp..lol
Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh i also found a 50 doller bill and a screwdriver when i pulled the rear carpet out.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

NICE! all i found was some frenchfries(my fault) a screwdriver and some batteries.

Quick Reply: lightweight interior