Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of pictures...tell my wife I'm not obsessed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005 | 12:59 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

If the owner of the bodyshop kept it for himself after repairing it then you can be assuerd that the repairs are top notch - those guys tend to be pretty **** about that when it is their own stuff. Have fun and welcome to the addicton. If your wife thinks your obsessed now - wait until you've had it for a while - it gets worse not better.
Old 09-09-2005 | 01:04 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pictures testarossa- I'll try to use one
Old 09-09-2005 | 01:13 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

HA, Skip is right!! Just wait until you want more power, better handling, more braking or just start to replace anything! It goes from, "Just replacing the water pump" to "while I am in there... belts, rollers, front engine seal, water pump, etc...."
Old 09-09-2005 | 01:28 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike1982
HA, Skip is right!! Just wait until you want more power, better handling, more braking or just start to replace anything! It goes from, "Just replacing the water pump" to "while I am in there... belts, rollers, front engine seal, water pump, etc...."

my next "while in in there" is leading me to a complete rebuild. All to deal with an "oil leak" on my 951.

I know it so I am really trying to not need to "be in there"
Old 09-09-2005 | 04:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason-85944
Manning...not sure, but looks like some sort of rock base before siding starts.

Also, very nice car! Depending on miles 12k seems like a deal for a Turbo S.

Welcome to the list,

Jason
Ah, could be. Like stacked stone or bricks. Doesn't matter though since it isn't his house. Now he can play with the car more without that distraction bothering him.

That car does look super nice by the way.
Old 09-09-2005 | 05:24 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Asking us if you are obsessed is like asking a drunk person if your an alcoholic ;-)

Welcome!!!

Cory
Old 09-09-2005 | 05:38 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. How do you get the picture by your name on the left?
Old 09-09-2005 | 05:45 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Thanks guys. How do you get the picture by your name on the left?

Right click on the image you want to use. Copy the address out of there.
Go to your UserCP link at top.
Edit Avatar(on the left)
Go to the bottom and choose the use url option.
Paste that url in there and you will see your avatar.

Or just upload any image you want (as long as it fits the criteria)
Old 09-09-2005 | 06:20 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

That worked- thanks. Now I feel official-
Old 09-09-2005 | 06:32 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

That worked- thanks. Now I feel official-

Did you save that image or link directly? If you link directly it will not jpg compress it to death
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:51 PM
Evan70
Pro

Congrats on the 951 purchase, you'll definitely enjoy the car. Very nice looking car too, and like was said, if the body shop owner kept it for himself all the repairs were probably done very well. Like you I picked up mine for cheap since it had a previous salvage title (front impact very similar to what your's had). However, mine wasn't repaired quite as well, although the remaining needs are all cosmetic and really not that big of a deal since I bought mine for a daily driver / track car. Of course I only paid $6500 for mine, so I'm not complaining. Of course I've also had to drop around $4000 in repairs/maintenance/upgrades, but I still feel like it was a pretty good deal. Not that I wouldn't go the other route if I did it again (buying a perfect condition one to start, but then again maybe not considering what most people want for a perfect one).

As for insurance on a salvage title, I didn't have any problems on mine, but then it had a clear Texas title when I bought it, so they gave me a clear Oklahoma title when I registered it. If it hasn't already been done, you might check into getting a clear title on it. Depends on your state, but some states will give you a clear title if it's been fully repaired.

A few pieces of advice. Triple check all the maintenace records right now and make sure everything has been done. If any maintenance has been skipped or is coming up on being due, get it done NOW, and get the car looked over thoroughly while it's being done. Also, has been pointed out, with mileage that low many of the rubber components may be brittle/worn. For that reason, I'd go ahead and change all the belts (including the timing belts, unless they've already been done in the last few years). I'd also change out all the vacuum lines and hoses (vacuum and coolant). Also check the tires, if they're more than 5 years old, I'd replace them as they'll be pretty worthless. Of course the plugs, wires, cap and rotor should be changed too if they haven't been done in the last year or so. I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but better safe than sorry.

Finally, if you want a nice power boost, get some Vitesse chips. It'll make a BIG difference in the car over the stock chips.
Old 09-11-2005 | 03:18 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Does the picture look bad? It looks good on my computer.

Evan- thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting a clear title. That would be great if I could.

The timing belt was done a few years ago, but I need to look at all of the records to see when and what exactly was done. What are the best sources for fresh rubber parts? I imagine the motor mounts will need changing too.

The car has Autothority chips. I knoiw more can be done like MAF/wastegate, etc. but I don't know much about that yet. Flagstaff doesn't require emissions testing so a cat bypass seems like a logical next improvement- maybe someone will tell me otherwise.
Old 09-11-2005 | 03:36 PM
Evan70
Pro

Knew I was forgetting something (motor mounts), at least get them checked. As for the Autothority chips, I saw a 53rwhp gain over what I'm 99% sure were Autothority chips going to Vitesse chips. I'm at almost 280RWHP now, and that's running through the stock AFM and filter/housing, so you can make really nice power on the 88TS/89T cars without major modifications.

For parts, I normally shop with Paragon, Pelicanparts, Zims (allzim.com), or Lindsey Racing. Lindsey's got a nice kit for vacuum line replacement
Old 09-12-2005 | 10:41 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Does the picture look bad? It looks good on my computer.
Only to picky graphic guys like me
You will also notice the file size difference.
It is your avatar do with it what you please
Original
Old 09-13-2005 | 12:16 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Okay testarossa ,when I get the car I'll take my own pictures and maybe you can work your magic for me

Thanks again Evan. I didn't realize I could get that much from chips alone, I think I'll try Vitesse after I've driven it enough to tell the difference (that's probably not long)

The first thing I need to do it get over the fear of pushing it too hard and breaking it! I feel like I have a baby on the way...

Quick Reply: A couple of pictures...tell my wife I'm not obsessed