Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions for those who gutted there cat.(and no, not the 4 legged kind!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:30 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Betcha can't gut this cat!
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a glasspack where the cat goes. It will help take away any of the rasp that you get with gutting the cat. Also gutting the cat causes a disturbance in flow for the exhaust. Just put a non louvered(s/p) glasspack in there and it will great.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Team SSR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of our cars are 15 years old or older. I would bet many of the higher mileage ones are running "gutted" cats wether they know it or not. That honeycomb stuff doesn't stay in there forever...
Old 09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
How will welding in a piece of SS sound horrible...the NA exhaust is stainless as well is it not? I did it to my turbo, it sounds great, exact same thing as buying a test pipe.
and that exactly why it sounds good.
on an NA its another story. it can be any metal. i just said SS cause you did

you know what mustangs sound like with straightpipes? take that, make it ten times worse....and then stick it right between 3k-4.5k rpm.

on the turbo the turbo itself muffles the exhaust pulses so it doesnt sound like a bunch of big empty cans jingling around in your exhaust like with the NA.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Where is a sound clip when you need one... I know there are plenty of turbo cars (including myself) that could get a clip of a cat-less 951 but not a 944 NA. Someone out there has to have it plus a way to record it for this man!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ive heard turbos are the shiznit with it. do it!!!

nas are the.....****...with it. dont. lol
Old 09-06-2005, 04:34 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera51
My car has a Bursch header and had the bypass pipe as well, with a FlowMaster 50 series. The bypass pipe rattled and made the car sound like a POS. My wife hated it and referred to the car as the "9 Farty 4."

I removed the bypass and put the cat back in (had to weld a flange on to the cat so I could bolt it to the Bursch header). Now the car sounds much better. The Flow Master gives it a nice deep sound.
i did the bypass as well... DONT EVER DO IT! it SUCKS SO MUCH, and it rattles like hell ALL the time, and whether its closed or not its loud as...well you know!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

I gutted my cat with a golf shaft from an old club and a big piece of rebar ..

I did not do it for performance.
The catalyst material had worn down and there was a big chunk that would turn sideways restricting ALL flow through, due to the honeycomb material.

I haven't noticed any performance change other than sound and the fact that it doesn't drive like there is a potato stuffed in the exhaust..

I plan on reinstalling a cat when I get the $$.

Don
Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

My 924S came with a test pipe in place of a cat. Doesn't sound too bad, but I may try the glass pack in its place.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
no joseph "backpressure in exhaust is the killer of performance. i already stated why. why must you fight it. if you want to go more technical i will....
If that is the case I would like to see how your NA car performs with zero backpressure. Go ahead, install a full 3"-4" pipe from your headers back and you be will wanting to ride a bus...you have to have some backpressure in an NA; reducing backpressure is much more critical on a turbo.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

BLAAAAAH!!!

its not backpressure its resonance!!!!!!
you need resonance not backpressure! gutting cat = messed up resonance. but not so bad. = everyone assumes its a "loss of backpressure" when its really a loss of resonance!

going to 4" exhaust will obvioulsy have no backpressure. but geuss what?! it will have no resonance either. ( you could tune for resonance. but the gas velocities will be uber-slo cause of the HUGE pipe. and will not be very good at getting the high/low waves up and down the exhaust)

let me go more technical. if an exhaust always had backpressure in it..instead of resonance. then what would happen is that every time the exhaust valve opened. the exhaust would resist coming out.
this would cause
1.) parasitic loses.
2.) contamination of the intake charge with exhaust gases. (which also slows combustion by blocking the flame from getting to the fresh AR mixture)
3.) hotter intake charge resulting in less density.

and if the valves overlap. like they do in an NA. then not only will the exhaust back up inot the cylinder. it will go right up the intake tract.

what you want is high/low pressure waves going back and forth up the exhaust at sonic speeds. you time the low pressure wave to get to the exhaust valve as it opens. not only does this help scavenge the exhaust gases out of the cylinder, but it helps pull the frsh AR charge into it as well.

now for all you who dont believe me. go put freekin restricters in your exhaust if you love backpressure so much and dyno your car.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 PM
944kid
Banned

did you learn this from the intake you were making(I believe it was you... ) I know all that talk went in my one ear, and then right out the other. Oh well.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

I dont know about a gutted cat but Speedy944 gutted his muffler and modified it so its basically a cat with a straight muffler and it sounds sick, as in really cool. I like the way it sounds. That sound is definately better than running it with a straight pipe which is what I did very briefly but went back to the cat cuz it sounded horrible.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
tomrc
Pro

Like I said i have a straight pipe welded in the place of the cat and it's just crap pipe from Pep boys also. It doesn't sound loud or even bad at any RPM. Everything else on the exhaust is stock. So I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I don't really even hear the exhaust much until I'm over 4k. No rattles either.

Odd.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

backpressure isnt high enough to overcome 90-120lbs compression, it is simply enough to keep the flow out of the engine constant instead of choppy, which disturbs "resonance". In a turbo, the turbo hot side itself causes enough backpressure for the motor so beyond that no exhaust backpressure is required, but a nice exhaust w/ some resonance helps enhance flo. W/ an n/a motor, you need some sort of backpressure to keep the gases from excaping too quickly, for the engine to recover and helps return the exhaust valve w/o floating it. Tuning your exhaust simply combines both aspects. Run your motor w/ no backpressure and see if you burn a valve up!

Quick Reply: questions for those who gutted there cat.(and no, not the 4 legged kind!!)