Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help - 944S intake man. removal, dip stick tube (x-post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:17 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help - 944S intake man. removal, dip stick tube (x-post)

Ok - I am in the middle of pulling the intake manifold to go after the ISV and TPS (vacuum lines too...). Everthing is loose (I can lift the IM), injectors are out for cleaning etc. but the vac connections to the break unit and 'J' tube are difficult. It's a pain on the 'S', but I think if I remove the oil dip stick tube (and disconnect the vac line at the break unit) I can pull the IM+Throttle+J-tube as a complete assembly. That will help reassembly a lot too.

1. Should I go ahead and do this?
2. How, just pull it out?
3. Will I need to drain the oil first?
4. Any trick to reinstalling the dipstick tube?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i've removed this several times and always find it very difficult because access is so tight. yes, definitely pull the intake/throttle/j-tube as one assembly. you will never be able to get access to the 4 allen head bolts on the throttle body.

to answer your questions:
1......yes
2.....yes. disconnect the vacuum line on the brake booster by pulling the plug out of the booster.
3....no
4......once the dipstick tube is disconnected, you can pull it straight out. however, be aware it may be difficult to get it back in smoothly, plus you'll have an open hole straight into your oilpan for debris to fall into.

hope this helps, and post again with other questions. i did this at least twice AFTER rebuilding my engine to seal a leak on the upper balance shaft, so i'm familiar with it.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:24 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - pulled the oil dipstick tube right out and then it was an easy matter to pull the IM+Throttle+J-tube out as one big piece.

Thanks, joseph, for your perfectly helpful reply.

I don't know what to do with the venturi connection now - but that deserves its own post I think.

Quick Reply: help - 944S intake man. removal, dip stick tube (x-post)