Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The interior (and anyone riding in it) smells like crankcase fumes or exhaust fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The interior (and anyone riding in it) smells like crankcase fumes or exhaust fumes

I just purchased a 92 968 coupe. I noticed when I first drove it and again today,....that the interior of the car smells like crankcase fumes or exhaust fumes (Not to be confused with gasoline vapor odors). Interestingly My last 944 (years ago)smelled the same way.

Its strong enough that I notice that after driving the car,....and I get out,....My clothes have that same odor of crankcase fumes. I have also noticed that the windows keep getting a light fog or film on them...........I have cleaned them repeatedly and within hours,.....they are getting hazy again.

My best guess is that there is a compromise somewhere in the crankcase ventilation system that allows crankcase vapors to vent into the engine bay, and that further,......there is a gasket, seal or plug that is torn, worn, or missing somewhere on the firewall,...which in turns allow these vapors/fumes into the passenger compartment......or,....perhaps the vapors are somehow being drawn into the fresh air intake for the A/C.

I have tried switching from the recirculate mode to the "Fresh air" intake mode, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Brian

Anyone have any experience with this??

Brian Collins
Austin TX
Old 09-04-2005, 10:22 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the big long seal that sits on top of the firewall, and makes a seal against the hood when you close it. If that is shot, fumes will get to your fresh air blower for the HVAC. You can take some vaseline, and smear it on top of the gasket, close the hood, then open it and look for vaseline in a smooth line on the hood. If there are gaps, then the seal isn't sealing. Also make sure underneath your leather shift boot, that the rubber boot is not torn, or else exhaust fumes can come up through your shifter handle.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the rear hatch seal also. If it is not sealing properly, exhaust can get pulled into the cabin.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:38 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Another leak spot is the hatch. If it's not sealing well exhaust will get sucked into the car from the rear.

I'd also look for exhaust leaks underneath the car. Easy in the winter to spot. Might be noisy. A manual test is to jack the car, start it, and feel with a hand for streams of hot exhaust coming our at seams and connections. Just wave you hand around a foot away from the tubes.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:43 AM
unreal_news
Racer

well, I dont know about you guys, but its a smell ive learned to know and love. It will henceforce be known as the "Porche Smell". Ahhhhhhhhh, take it all in
Old 09-04-2005, 12:06 PM
...P
Instructor

You guys are experiencing a classic problem with these cars and it's an easy fix. Check this link

http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1124380720

regards, P
Old 09-04-2005, 01:01 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal_news
well, I dont know about you guys, but its a smell ive learned to know and love. It will henceforce be known as the "Porche Smell".
Okay. The "Porsche smell" I like is leather and Lexol.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:20 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I have my own porsche smell...it was cinnamon and old dry leather....

Anyway, also check under your shift boot to see if the rubber boot is there...fumes can leak up through your shifter as well

Quick Reply: The interior (and anyone riding in it) smells like crankcase fumes or exhaust fumes