Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UH OH!!!! Rust near the battery!!! How can i fix this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After cleaning the area with the wire wheel, I treated all the exposed metal with a rust reformer (like the POR product), then I sealed all the seams and a small rust hole with a butyl rubber gutter and flashing sealer I found at the local Home Depot. This is really gooey sticky stuff, a lot like the seam sealer Porsche used at the factory. It'll seal up to a 1/4" hole pretty easilly. After that set up, I masked off the area and sprayed it with a couple coats of rubberized undercoating. I can run a hose in there and fill it with a couple inches of water now, although I haven't really thought of a good reason to do that yet...

The grey stuff is the sealant. The second pic is the finnished look with the black undercoating. Aside from being just a bit sloppy in the corner, I think it looks pretty good.
Attached Images   

Last edited by jpk; 08-31-2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: I found a couple of pics...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I didn't have rust, but I did some prevention... I masked off the battery box and sprayed some rubberized undercoating around the battery.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

curley de, the por stuff has a patch you can use with it to fill small holes.

Blue,

you should get this kit, it has all the chemicals, all the prep stuff, all the different aplications you need for each step to do it right. http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=305

it contains

MARINE-CLEAN™ Metal cleaner
METAL-READY™ Metal Prep
Power Mesh Fabric
POR-15® Silver
POR-15® Black
EPOXY PUTTY
CHASSISCOAT BLACK™
POR-15 SOLVENT®
All brushes needed (4)
Safety face mask
Latex gloves
Dispensing scoop
Detailed instructions

the por 15 has directions. you dont necessarly need to sand it down, but i would (im **** retentive). por -15 supposidly loves to adhear to rough surfaces like rust. (according to the company). i wouldnt sand it smooth.. what i would do is maybe use a wire attachment on a drill or somthing.. use that to knock all the loose stuff up, maybe a hand wire brush. then i would use a really heavy grit sand paper to clean it all up. the por-15 needs a rough surface to adhear to so by doing that you would get rid of surface crud, clean up and would also give it that rough surface it likes.

as far as other steps involved.. yes there are quite a few steps to really do it properly -see whats contained in the kit and you can get a good idea. also check out the FAQ http://www.por15.com/faq.asp

another thing.. you need to do it in a dry area, less humidity the better. dont get water in the por-15 can or after you paint it (before it dries i shoudl say) at all or you pretty much contaminate and it will break down. that includes dripping sweat..
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

OH AND ONE LAST THING. after you put the por -15 down and its dry etc.. replace your battery with an optima, so you wont be leaking any more battery acid
Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I was looking at the Optimas. Apparently the company didn't recommend them for 944s though? I thought that was a bit odd.

Funny, while you were posting that, i was looking at the POR15 site at the metal-prep stuff! The Kit seems a bit high dollar. I was thinking about just getting a can with as much as i needed of the POR15 Metal ready and Por15 rust preventative. (and maybe a topcoat...but i might just leave it black)

I figured i would sand those small spots, and everywhere around where the battery sits. Maybe 100grit sandpaper, or something around there. Clean up and paint flakes, and then move on to the Por15 process.

There is no way i will be getting away from humidity where i live, but it will do my best to work efficiently and as dry as i can.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:24 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

well, the kit is a bit pricy.. but there is enough there to do your entire floors and trunk. you could just be proactive and do the rest of the areas where metal is exposed (if you can lift your carpets for example), or save it for the next spot rust starts to appear. or just get a bottle/can of the stuff you need.

they also have a starter kit.. maybe thats more along the lines of what you should get?

optimas will be ok in just about any car. i dont see why there would be a problem in a 944.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 AM
tomrc
Pro

The kit is good, it's plenty enough for the battery tray. And the POR patch just rocks. I was using it on the Scirocco to fill in rust holes and it dried rock hard and I was able to sand it smooth. The patch gets everywhere, even worse than the paint, seal off everything you don't want it to go. I have spots on my garage floor of it, I'll need to grind off.

POR states that humidity is actually good for POR15 paint. The more humidity the better it sets. Do yourself a favor do the whole battery tray and not just the rust spots, then you won't have to worry about it again.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Well if humidity is what it needs, its good love it here! The air is wet! DC feels like a steam bath in the summer.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Jared944
Racer

When I changed my engine over, I wire brushed all the rust spots out of the battery area and compleatly rhino-lined the area (Or, in other words, truck bed liner). Its incredably durable stuff, and it looks great!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: UH OH!!!! Rust near the battery!!! How can i fix this!