Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever use Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
944kid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True True, but money is extremely tight right now and I have a head gasket sitting around just in case that came off of a car my friend has. If I can use the free head gasket and nothing else, I'll be mucho satisfied. (It's shady, I know, but I can't go further into debt!)

[/OT]
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah. I know what you mean about the debt thing and these cars. My simple belt project turned into headgasket which is now turning into headwork/headers/new turbo/new computer/etc. Luckily I've been getting in a decent amount of hours in at work lately, and I have a second car, so I should be fine to get all the parts, though it may cause the 951 to sit in the garage in pieces for a while. If nothing else its giving me time to do a bunch of other stuff (tranny linkage is screwed up, new stereo, new seats, have some coilovers to install, etc).
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Here is a thread on LS1tech detailing the seafoam procedure on LS1 cars.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...hlight=seafoam

In the first post there are several videos, and there are a few others throughout, I believe.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/seafoam/0.htm

lots of vids here.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 AM
944kid
Banned

Originally Posted by billthe3
Ah. I know what you mean about the debt thing and these cars. My simple belt project turned into headgasket which is now turning into headwork/headers/new turbo/new computer/etc. Luckily I've been getting in a decent amount of hours in at work lately, and I have a second car, so I should be fine to get all the parts, though it may cause the 951 to sit in the garage in pieces for a while. If nothing else its giving me time to do a bunch of other stuff (tranny linkage is screwed up, new stereo, new seats, have some coilovers to install, etc).
You know I drive an Acura, right? My luck is as legendary as Rock's when it comes to cars. It keeps FIGHTING me.

If I do the head gasket, I have to figure out why it failed, otherwise, it would have been for nothing. Methinks it was a bad thermostat, (cheap enough where I'm going to replace it anyway), and a sending unit. It was all the way on "H" one day and the fans weren't coming on.

Good luck with your car!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
944kid
Banned

Thanks for all the link-age, Hoss Ghoul. Reminds me of what my car does when I start it hot and allow coolant to get into the cylinders. (For some reason, it doesn't smoke when I first start it up. F'in wierd *** difficult car!)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944kid
You know I drive an Acura, right? My luck is as legendary as Rock's when it comes to cars. It keeps FIGHTING me.

If I do the head gasket, I have to figure out why it failed, otherwise, it would have been for nothing. Methinks it was a bad thermostat, (cheap enough where I'm going to replace it anyway), and a sending unit. It was all the way on "H" one day and the fans weren't coming on.

Good luck with your car!
How did you kill an acura engine? I assume you checked all the coolant lines?

*random story* When I got my camry the radiator had a baseball sized hole in it and all the coolant drained out in about 10min, but the PO still drove it probably 15mi on the highway to work and back each day (filling before each trip). Once I got it I was driving around with the radiator partially full for a while (the bottom hose disconnected several times and I didn't check the coolant level afterwards) that resulted in multiple times of overheating (temp gauge maxxed out, steam coming out of the coolant res - when the radiator was half full the water was all rusty because the car had been sitting for a while), but its running without any issues. Hurray for toyoders!

The hole in the radiator was around 210k mi and its at 235k now, and is essentially used for only city driving. It has also needed new cv boots and new struts for who knows how long (years...), but those are just minor details. Need to get the porsche back together before I tackle that. And I was driving around with the tranny 2qts low on oil for a month or two, to the point that the tranny would stop down shifting until it was fully warmed up, but just filled it back up and its still going. Its a shame toyota had to sell the soul of their cars to the devil to make them so reliable, otherwise these things would be cool.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

OT: I recently got a new computer, and the vidoes for that LS1 site dont work for me, this isnt the first time. I get the "plugin missing, click to download" deal, but when i click it it says plugin unknown. What plugin do i need? Most vidoes work but some dont.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Best palce to get Seafoam? Sorry if it's been mentioned.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

napa, autozone, any place of that sort
Old 04-11-2007, 02:42 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

If anyone tries this seafoam soon, please share some before and after details. My car is tied up in the shop probably til next week but i'd be curious to hear how it went and if it made a big difference.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
OT: I recently got a new computer, and the vidoes for that LS1 site dont work for me, this isnt the first time. I get the "plugin missing, click to download" deal, but when i click it it says plugin unknown. What plugin do i need? Most vidoes work but some dont.
The links actually go to streetfire.net, but to answer your question as best I can...

The site uses FlashPlayer and if you look in the upper right corner above the video you can switch to Windows Media Player. Try doing that. If it works, then you need to download flashplayer, which is an Adobe product: http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ Get flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Clicking on the first link and using the Active X control should tell you wether you have the player/plug in installed on your CPU.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Zero10 liked the results of his Seafoam experiment

i might try this sometime when I get bored.
My car's running pretty good right now (needs som pm work) so I'm not looking for any extra work right now.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever use Seafoam?