Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of '89 S2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Value of '89 S2

Short version of the longer story.....

I agreed to buy an '89 S2 w/69k locally a couple weeks ago. The plan was to sell the motor, transmission, interior, etc, build a new cage and move my motor, trans, suspension, etc from my well-used Firehawk S2.

In the interim, I found another car with much higher mileage and LSD that will make just as good a donor and was less expensive to purchase.

So.... I have a Baltic Blue/Linen '89 S2 that I want to sell. Not looking to screw anyone, but I do want to get a fair price. I'd really appreciate your feedback on what that price would be.

I'll attach one photo, but have others that could be emailed or added to this thread if requested.

Details follow:

Thanks,

Joe Rothman
STL Region PCA
jrothma at hotmail dot com

<70k
2-owner car, 2nd owner was employee of first
Interior VERY nice with exception of cracked dash
Excellent (at least partial) repaint done prior to '97 due to rock chips.
No accidents
Good maintenance history since 27k (missing prior to then)
Old 08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the adds here and go to kelly blue book.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

In the interim, I found another car with much higher mileage and LSD that will make just as good a donor and was less expensive to purchase.
Are you going to be selling the drivetrain out of the car mentioned above?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
JR944
Pro

Yes. The car won't be here for a couple of weeks, but the plan is to sell everything BUT the transaxle for now. The S2 LSD transaxles are getting pretty hard to find and I'd like to keep this one as a spare (unless someone offers me stupid money for it

I'll post here and on Pelican when we start tearing into it.

Joe
Old 08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
Yes. The car won't be here for a couple of weeks, but the plan is to sell everything BUT the transaxle for now. The S2 LSD transaxles are getting pretty hard to find and I'd like to keep this one as a spare (unless someone offers me stupid money for it

I'll post here and on Pelican when we start tearing into it.

Joe
When you get to that point, if you could PM me here with the particulars on the motor, and what you would want for it, it would be appreciated. I would be looking for a price on the complete motor, harness, DME, bellhousing, clutch/PP.

Thanks.............
Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a really great color! Love D90's with the darker colored cars. I'd say the value depends a lot on what was replaced since 27k miles.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A decent 944S2 goes for about $8,000 these days, to give you a rough starting point.

BTW: Has the cam chain guide/tensioner been replaced? What about the 90,000 maintenance? Timing belt replaced recently? H2O pump? If all this work has already been done, you can offer a higher asking price.

It sure looks perdy,
-Z.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
JR944
Pro

Thanks for the feedback!
The water pump was replaced at 37k. Rollers/belts, etc ($380 in parts) done at 60k. The car is going to my mechanic on Wednesday to check all belts, rollers, water pump and cam chain tensioner. If the tensioner looks bad, it will be replaced as I don't want to risk a failure. I'm undecided if the tensioner failure is a function of time or mileage, but feel it's worth a $350 part to insure against a catastrophic failure.

I've just listed it at $9,500 on the PCA website which is a better deal than anything I've found listed here, Pelican, PCA, or Autotrader allowing for mileage. (There are others with 100k+ in the $8,000-9000 range).

My ad states that if a person can make a reasonable argument for a price adjustment, that I'll listen. This has worked pretty well when selling other cars in past couple of years. One guy came back with good examples of cars priced less than my old M3, so we adjusted accordingly and he bought it.

Thanks again. Please let me know if you know anyone looking.

Joe
Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Your asking price is fair and very competitive. That will rapidly become a 18k car in the right hands (konis, belts, wheels, clutch, etc.)

PM me a link to more pictures please.

if i didnt have a gray one I would be all over your blue one. the big question is paintwork - what is under it, was it really chips?

I will pass the info on to my brother. anyone want a linnen/blue 89 NA with about 53k miles, service records going waaay back, new brakes rotors etc?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR944
I'm undecided if the tensioner failure is a function of time or mileage, but feel it's worth a $350 part to insure against a catastrophic failure.
It's a function of both, IMHO.

As for the H2O pump - I'd say it may be time to replace it as well - typically, it should be replaced every 60k miles.

It sounds like you are up front with what's up with the car - that type of honesty should get the sold sold. Good luck with the sale!

-Z.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
JR944
Pro

Default More photos

Here are a few more photos. I don't have a way to post them, but will email more to anyone that would like them. Please email my hotmail address if you'd like any sent.

I've had very good luck selling my cars on the net. Sold my 968, wifes E36 M3, and my 964 by describing the cars as if I were the one looking to buy them. It sure doesn't make sense to make a long-distance deal only to tick off the buyer if they found the car was different than described.

My sense of the previous owner was that he was straight with me about the paint. There are some newer chips on the front and you can see the old matching Baltic Blue underneath. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it sure doesn't scream PAINT CHIP at you like the chips on my Ocean Blue 911. I can see paint lines at the edge of the hood and doors. I cannot see anything resembling a blend line, which is why I think that they may have painted the whole car.

Assuming there are no leaks at the front of the motor, I plan to leave the water pump in place. It's not overdue and I don't think the value of the car would increase equal to the cost of the replacement. Similarly, with the cam chain tensioner, I'll leave it to the mechanic's judgement on replacement.

My mechanic is a friend who works in the evening and weekend for me at about 1/2 his normal cost (in cash plus just a couple beers.) If a buyer wanted anything done, I'd certainly have it done and add just my cost.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow, that looks a lot like my first 944, except much nicer and with 100k fewer miles. Nicer interior too.
I love that color.

Good luck with the sale. The price sounds quite fair for someone who wants a nice low-mileage car and understands what they are worth.
-Joel.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Guys,
I just got off the phone with my brother. He is interested in Joe's S2.

How bout a price check on his 89 NA

His 89 NA is linnen gray with a mint blue interior (black dash cap)
48k miles no accidents or evidence of paintwork, all the VIN stickers are there. he bought it last september and it was mint. records going back to about 20k miles.
new belts at 39k last october along with tune up.

new brakes, rotors, ate blue, and hoses/ fluids and something else big (call dropped)

momo jet wheel and momo shift **** (carbon fiber)

The car would have phone dials - dead rubber, and possibly the D90s.

he has the stone guards in the package (going on this weekend weather permitting) and bought a set of door mouldings that are in the shop being painted.

The car has the 10 speaker option but no equalizer.

Well, anyone interested
Old 08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Wow, that looks a lot like my first 944, except much nicer and with 100k fewer miles. Nicer interior too.
I love that color.

-Joel.
But it looks much better these days than when it was in Boulder! Pete did a great job on that car!! Too bad he had to sell.....

You've got a great looking car there. Wish I were in the market....
Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
JR944
Pro

Default Car sold this weekend

The Baltic Blue car left with its new owner for Wyoming on Saturday. As it turned out, there was quite a bit of deferred maintenance on the car. I ended up replacing the clutch, PP, TO bearing, water pump, and cam chain tensioner.

A friend stopped over with his 951 on Saturday morning, so we had to pose this photo. His car is Diamond Blue Metallic and my new, 155k "project" car is in the rear.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Value of '89 S2