Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cycling valve and more vac line questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cycling valve and more vac line questions...

Ok, deleting the venturi, and there are three hoses welded together...I have taken that out and the instructions said to replace it with a hose that goes from the oil air seperator to the j-boot. Question is, that hose didn't come with the kit. It calls for a 3/4" purosil hose 2 foot in length. I cannot find this anywhere...what can I use in its place? The local car quest had some strong hose that was 3/4"...it was red and called multi-purpose hose....would that work?

Also, the cycling valve...what is that? And I hear people deleting them all the time, what do you get from that? Do you have to have a boost enhancer? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

You need some manner of boost control to eliminate the cycling valve, which is the stock electronic boost controller. It's the equivalent of the solenoids that come with any EBC. The boost enhancer isn't a boost controller so it wouldn't qualify.

The reason that vacuum line kits call for a purosil hose for the breather is because of the temps involved at that location. You'd need to know if the local car quest hose can handle extremely high temps.

Lindsey sells that size. FYI.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, where is the cycling valve? like, what is it?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

It's a little ivory colored disc shaped object with three nipples on it. With the intake manifold on you can see it between the 3rd and 4th runners.

Sounds like you have the intake manifold off already so it should be sitting right there.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

For the hose you need, I went to NAPA and bought a section of hose 3/4" ID, 90 degree bend one end and a 3 ft straight section going to the other end. It fits great.

The CV is the dirty white almost yellow round thing with an electrical connection and is under the intake manifold near the back of the engine right next to the oil fill.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
The boost enhancer isn't a boost controller so it wouldn't qualify.
This is incorrect. The boost enhancer can be used to control boost, that is what it does even with the cycling valve in place. I have heard of the boost enhancer causing boost spike problems, although I have never seen it. So the answer is yes, you can use the boost enhancer but you there are better alternatives to use as a boost controller. For info on hooking it up correctly and deleting the CV, search. There is more than enough info on this.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

The boost enhancer is a boost controller in the respect that it prevents the properly functioning WG from opening until the set boost level is reached. It is best used on a stck or chipped car and should not be set for a higher boost level than the chips are mapped.

It is a common replacement for the APE jet installed in the banjo bolt because the jet will allow the WG to open early and bleed boost.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Actually it is correct. Lindsey Racing, the manufacturer, don't consider it a boost controller, and when one looks at how it works, it's hard to call it a boost controller.

In the end it's a check valve. What makes it work in any manner as a boost controller on a 951 is the poor responsiveness of the stock wastegate.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:50 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I am saying is it does the job. There are better alternatives out there for sure.

Quick Reply: cycling valve and more vac line questions...