Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in my throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:36 PM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil in my throttle body

For todays project I replaced all of the o-rings in my throttle body using a fellow Rennlisters kit. There was a lot of oil build up inside it. My manuals don't show the emision routing so I'm not sure of the plumbing. What can I do to reduce/stop all of this oil? This was probably the first time in 18 year that the throttle body has been cleaned.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:39 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's more of a problem in the turbos, but it could be your air/oil seperator... also known as your oil fill tube... just a stab in the dark, so don't take it too seriously unless someone else confirms... good luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Thanks Geoff. I will look into it. Also, the air valve was turned out 4 full turns. I now have it set at 1/2 turn.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:06 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Often if you over fill the engine with oil you will get excess oil coming out of the vent hose that goes into the air filter hosing and then gets sucked into the engine/tb open you air filter hosing and see if you dont have oil in the bottom.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:19 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you notice any oil in the TPS? Excessive oil and bad TB seals ruined my TPS, luckily I had a spare TB/TPS left over from another Turbo motor and all is well again.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:23 PM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Hmm, I didn't open up the TPS. However there wasn't an o-ring between the TSP and the TB. I installed a new o-rings throughout and the engine seems to be running normaly. I hope that it was just the build up from the past 18 years.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjeckert
Often if you over fill the engine with oil you will get excess oil coming out of the vent hose that goes into the air filter hosing and then gets sucked into the engine/tb open you air filter hosing and see if you dont have oil in the bottom.
I hope there isn't oil going into your air filter housing from that vent hose, since that vent house comes from your timing belt cover.

Geoff has the correct answer. The O rings on the oil mist seperator are likely shot and letting air leak past which allows excessive amounts of oil mist to get sipped out and into the intake tract. Charlotte 944 explained it best several months ago as working kind of like how an airbrush works. The oil mist then settles when you shut off the motor and coats the inside of the intake and T-body.

OR worst case your rings are shot and you are getting a lot of blow by.

Last edited by Manning; 08-28-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:19 PM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Mist separator? Sounds very likely. I hope my rings aren't shot! I will look into it.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Did you notice any oil in the TPS? Excessive oil and bad TB seals ruined my TPS, luckily I had a spare TB/TPS left over from another Turbo motor and all is well again.
Steve,

Did you have any rough running problems/symptoms with the oil in the TPS? I got a lot of oil in the TPS on one car, and it also had a very intermittent dying problem; running too rich - like the TPS was telling the DME that the throttle was wide open.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Steve,

Did you have any rough running problems/symptoms with the oil in the TPS? I got a lot of oil in the TPS on one car, and it also had a very intermittent dying problem; running too rich - like the TPS was telling the DME that the throttle was wide open.
I couldn't get the TPS to even click up or down no matter how I tweaked it. The microswitches were oil-soaked. The car ran OK except at cold idle and under sudden throttle lift. The fuel cutoff at the DME wasn't killing the injectors when I backed off quick and it ran very rich at full boost...black smoke, raw fuel smell. My exhaust used to have blub-blub in the exhuast note under throttle lift, Serge liked it, I hated it. I did so many upgrades at one time (MBC, venturi delete, belts, new BOV) I can't attribute all the problems to TPS failure. I was able to clean up the old TPS per Bruce's Arnworx write-up that it now works on the TB. I'll reseal that TB and put it back on the car when I get time. The problem is worse obviously on the turbos due to the positive pressures squeezing oil out every weak seal. Having spare parts for these things is a real plus.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeJoe
Mist separator? Sounds very likely. I hope my rings aren't shot! I will look into it.
The oil mist separator and oil filler spout are combined into one unit. There are two nipples that plug into the engine block and are sealed with O rings. They "dry" out over the years and allow air leaks. You need to remove the intake manifold to get to it comfortably and even still it is kind of a tight squeeze to get to one of the bolts that holds it in place. Endeavoring to fix that problem gives a good opportunity to replace a bunch of vacuum hoses and such under the manifold all in one fell swoop.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:22 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean to tell me I should do the orings while I am doing the rest of this mess? BLASPHOMEY!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

While you're in there? Yes, absolutely.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

you could get an oil catch can.