Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/a window rattle....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/a window rattle....?

I've checked the Archives & can't find the exact same prob I'm having.... Inside the driver door.... there are two pieces of metal that come together near the rear of the door, about halfway up, or, slightly higher, when the window is all the way up... They come together at an angle & I THINK they have a simple rivet of some sort, holding them together... this is where my rattle is coming from & is driving me NUTS! I wrapped some duct tape around it & it fixed it, but, I knew it was only temporary, as it is a moving joint- It actually held much longer than I thought- close to 6 months... anyway, what is the simplest way to fix this? Can a rivet be tightened down some? If so, how...? Otherwise, do I need to replace this piece? I think it's part of the window track... can probably get a picture if needed....

thanks
Robby
Old 08-27-2005, 08:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

That window guide was spot welded in and once the weld breaks it makes a very obnoxious rattle. If not repaired it will cause the sheet metal on the door skin at the rear of the window to crack. I ended up drilling and putting a very short screw in the cracked area at the top of the channel where mine had broken loose. It would be at the lower rear edge of the window. After the metal cracks at the top of the door the only viable repair is welding. Here's a damage pic of the bottom rear corner of the drivers window on mine; the PO never fixed it and I'm waiting to weld mine up. If you don't fix it soon you'll end up like mine. This is a common problem caused by closing the door with the window down.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had to weld dales back into his door, i recommend you weld it or she will come loose quickly.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing....? I saw your thread in the archives ,but, it sounds much different... Mine is at the joint & is not the track itself, but, an extension of it- not sure WHAT it is, honestly, but, the window is not inside it- this is way below the bottom of the window... It doesn't seem like it could be welded b/c if it was, how would it move? It's s joint, where two pieces come together- this is why I thought it would be a bolt, but, it's not- it appears to be a rivet- FEELS like it, that is... Does this make sense...? when the window is UP, it is above the midpoint, up insiode the door- just about the height of the steel-tubular-protection bar welded to the door- it's about 3/4 of the way to the back- I might go down & inspect more closely here in a few minutes- I have my door panel off- might try to take some pics- I can't post them though- I need to get some pics of something else I'm posting a thread about anyway, to e-mail...

thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

is it the X shaped thing that raises the window up and down? I have an early door w/ the lift in it if that will work. Sounds like maybe that came loose in the middle if thats what your talking about.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I THINK that's it.... It comes together like that- like scissors or something, is what someone else said... How do you change it out? I have the door panel off- in the middle of a bunch of things & want to get everything done at once... Needing a new "striker" evidently... the door pops really badly when opened past the midpoint- the base connected to the frame, that holds the door on, is loose, but, I don't have the right tools to tighten them (star-shaped-type thing???), but, my mech says the problem is the "striker"....? But, as for the rattling thing- I can reach up in there & grab the piece, while driving (w/door panel off) & pinch them together slightly & the rattling stops- plus, the duct tape worked for a few months... Is there not a way to tighten that thing? I was wondering if I could find some longer pliers & squeeze the hell out of it if it work or not, but, I kind of doubt it... ???
Old 08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

never had that happen before. Are you sure when you grab it its not stopping the whole door from rattling cuz the striker is loose? Never had the scissors out before...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:06 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youre talking about the window regulator then, the lifting mechanism. I have no idea why its called a Regulator, retarded name IMHO, but oh well.

Anyway, I assume the two arms wiggle back and forth? If so, I had this exact problem. Heres some pics.

This is the slack in the joint. Prolly whats happened to you. Im not forcing the metal here. This made my door rattle when closing, and over bumps sometimes.

And heres the old (bottom) unit and "new" (top) unit. Same maker, part number, etc, only difference is the joint. This was $40? I think off ebay.

It isnt hard to remove, just undo the bolts and connector on the motor and wiggle it out. It doesnt look like it fits, but it does. I dont THINK the window glass has to come out, im not sure though. I had mine out already to tinker with the lock.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Xboost- I'm positive! They are two seperate issues.... I just took some pics, but, you really can't see anything- I can't post them anyway... I can e-mail them....? :-) They show WHERE in the door I'm talking about, but, I think the last of Brian's pics MIGHT be it...

Thanks Brian... I can't see it, even w/my door panel off- I can just barely see the top of it & FEEL it, but, it MIGHT be the LEFT end (the joint) of the two pieces in the bottom picture... HTH do you get pics on here anyway... I've been trying for YEARS & have never been successful....

I'm not 100% positive this is it really... I don't know what else it COULD be though... I wish I could send the pic, BUT, IF it IS what I'm talking about, then, that far left end is about midway up the door & most of the way towards the back- maybe 85% of the way back or so.... it moves up & slightly forward when the window goes up & down, but, only moves a total of an inch or two....??? Is this it?

Ok, the reason I'm not sure- is the part you're holding in your hand the same part as shown in the bottom pics??? Mine does not come apart like that- you say you're not pulling it apart, but, mine is tightly together... just not 100% tight... just BARELY loose... just enough to vibrate & rattle ALL THE TIME!!! IF this is the same part, then, did your's just break apart? It's NOT supposed to be like that is it??? ALSO, the fastener, IF that's what that is.... In the pic, looks a lot bigger than what I'm feeling- feels like a small rivet or something...

WHAT would I do IF this IS the prob? I mean, IF I remove it, what then? Do I have to replace the whole thing b/c that joint is loose?

thanks a lot for the pics...

Quick Reply: Help w/a window rattle....?