Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought MY Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005 | 04:56 PM
keeptheuroalive
Cruisin'

Default Just Bought MY Porsche

well i told yall earlier in the week i was going to buy a porsche and thursday afterschool we went to pick it up and tow it back to the shop at school. $100 later we had the car up at the shop. It is an '85 with a rebuilt motor in late 2001 and he hasnt driven it in a couple of years so its doin pretty good engine wise except for the fact we have to hotwire the coil to get it to produce spark. This wont be a problem later however because we are gonna rebuild the whole engine and while its out we can rewire everything. the body is kind beat up in places, but we kinda want to replace everything with lightweight body panels.
we got the car running yesterday after putting in a gallon and a half of fuel. after running it for about 10 minutes tops with very little eninge reving, it stayed at idle for 9 and a half minutes so we are gonna have to figure out why it did that, if anyone had the same problem please let me know why. we are gonna start stripping down the interior and unfortunately for us we are gonna barely be able to sell any parts.
Ill post pics very soon and i will keep yall updated
Old 08-27-2005 | 05:08 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

What is it? You mean it wouldn't rev at all? That would probably be an electronic problem, possibly air flow meter.

Or maybe hotwiring the coil bypassed something important?
Old 08-27-2005 | 05:21 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You don't need to rewire anything. You need to get the proper manuals and learn how the car was designed -- including the electronic injection -- and how to properly diagnose and repair problems.

Running power directly to the coil tells me you need either a new ignition switch (that's the electrical part behind the key tumbler) and/or a DME relay.

The 83
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive
well i told yall earlier in the week i was going to buy a porsche and thursday afterschool we went to pick it up and tow it back to the shop at school. $100 later we had the car up at the shop. It is an '85 with a rebuilt motor in late 2001 and he hasnt driven it in a couple of years so its doin pretty good engine wise except for the fact we have to hotwire the coil to get it to produce spark. This wont be a problem later however because we are gonna rebuild the whole engine and while its out we can rewire everything. the body is kind beat up in places, but we kinda want to replace everything with lightweight body panels.
we got the car running yesterday after putting in a gallon and a half of fuel. after running it for about 10 minutes tops with very little eninge reving, it stayed at idle for 9 and a half minutes so we are gonna have to figure out why it did that, if anyone had the same problem please let me know why. we are gonna start stripping down the interior and unfortunately for us we are gonna barely be able to sell any parts.
Ill post pics very soon and i will keep yall updated
I'll second the recommendation to get the manuals. It probably is something as simple as needing a DME relay.

Also, if the car has been sitting a few years, you should consider replacing the timing belt and other belts before running the motor any more. Belts love to crack and dryrot when a car sits for years. Don't take a chance of the timing belt snapping on an interference motor.

Good luck. And (this is not a crack), in future posts please try to utilize the caps key and proper sentence structure. It makes it easier on the people trying to help you. I got a headache trying to read what you wrote. I had to read it a couple of times so that I could understand and respond.
Old 08-29-2005 | 01:53 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

If I remember correctly, this is some sort of school project.
It would serve you guys well to do a little ( or alot ) research on these interference engines. The electronics and the mechanics ar definately NOT run of the mill.

good luck and welcome to the obsession.
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:08 PM
keeptheuroalive
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=Don 944 LA]
It would serve you guys well to do a little ( or alot ) research on these interference engines. The electronics and the mechanics are definately NOT run of the mill.
QUOTE]
i have worked on plenty of interference engines and the principles on mechanics of every car is the same except for diesel. The electronics are kinda screwy, but we are gonna gut the car in the next few days so rewiring will be easy. Also a complete engine rebuild is in store in the next month or two.
and tifosiman sorry about not being completely gramatically correct, but i had a friend read it and he understood every bit of it the first time, so im guessing its a southern thang
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:12 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

im guessing its a southern thang
No, that's what we call being "lazy."
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by shmucklebuckle
No, that's what we call being "lazy."

LOL
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:28 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

[QUOTE=keeptheuroalive]
Originally Posted by Don 944 LA
i have worked on plenty of interference engines and the principles on mechanics of every car is the same except for diesel. The electronics are kinda screwy, but we are gonna gut the car in the next few days so rewiring will be easy. Also a complete engine rebuild is in store in the next month or two.
and tifosiman sorry about not being completely gramatically correct, but i had a friend read it and he understood every bit of it the first time, so im guessing its a southern thang

Yah! Chure Ting! You know EVERYTING DHERE IS TO NOE!

You are just going to make a big pile of junk out of a decent car.

PLONK!
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:43 AM
Zporsche944
Racer

I have rebuild two american (1 dodge and 1 B&S) engines, before I did the timing belt change on the 44. And the engines are diff in soooo many ways the dodge and B&S were straght forward, but the porsche holy *(& its confusing. Well I guess the dodge and B&S were also carb but thats not the point. I have also build computers from as scratch as u can with out making ur own NB SB ram and so on and the porsche electronics still confus me. AND I own the complete service manual and visit clarks garage often. these engines are nothing to shake a stick at, u MAY think ur good with engines and electronics well I did too ontill I came here and I am at the bottom of the totem pole. Its crazy what some of these guys do like that project 924 wide body!! I dont know of anyone who can that a hack saw to a nice car and make somthing so awesome! And thats only a minor one compared to some of these things, theres a 800HP turbo 968 engine powered 944 in the works and so on.
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:56 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Why strip it!? Seems like a waste.

- Julie
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:36 AM
keeptheuroalive
Cruisin'

now i know why porsche owners have a bad rep they think that they know everything about cars and i hate to break it to you but ive been working on cars for two years and i have already done full engine swaps on cars so i think i might know just a tad bit more about cars than you guys but lets just say you guys know more. well that just isnt enough for you ****ers and you have to put someone down because you have no idea what they might do with one of their cars and think it will come out as junk and it will be a waste.
and of course the electronics will be difficult but i have the full mitchell on demand cds and they are way more valuable than the stupid manuals you ******** have. and the whole thing about the pile of junk is bull**** we are stripping it to save weight because it is not gonna be a daily driver, only a track car so all i have to say is **** YOU YALL ALL SUCK AND GO BACK TO YOUR LUXURIOUS PORSCHE AND HAVE FUN DRIVING
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

now i know why porsche owners have a bad rep they think that they know everything about cars and i hate to break it to you but ive been working on cars for two years and i have already done full engine swaps on cars so i think i might know just a tad bit more about cars than you guys but lets just say you guys know more. well that just isnt enough for you ****ers and you have to put someone down because you have no idea what they might do with one of their cars and think it will come out as junk and it will be a waste.
and of course the electronics will be difficult but i have the full mitchell on demand cds and they are way more valuable than the stupid manuals you ******** have. and the whole thing about the pile of junk is bull**** we are stripping it to save weight because it is not gonna be a daily driver, only a track car so all i have to say is **** YOU YALL ALL SUCK AND GO BACK TO YOUR LUXURIOUS PORSCHE AND HAVE FUN DRIVING
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:55 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

*scratches head*

Don't burn your bridges buddy. I will gurantee that you'll break something and proceed to ask us why this or that is not working. Not to many people will help because you just told us all to **** off.

All of my friends are big mechanics, as well as my dad. They WILL NOT TOUCH my car after I replaced the clutch. (You wanna talk about a hard time, get a turbo and do a clutch job on it. Then come tell us, we're afraid and all that other BS you just said.)

I love projects and will soon be embarking on another, but I would be more weary of what you say and who you say it too.
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:11 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Man this kid pisses me off. It's not even the fact that he's been working on cars 2 whole years and is now the chief engineer of everything. It's the fact that he can't write above a third grade level and then has the gall to attempt to pass off his stupidity and lack of effort as "a southern thing." As a Southerner from a VERY long line of Southerners, that pisses me off. keeptheuroalive - Not all Southerners are inbred hicks, I'm sorry if you and your friends feel that it is acceptable to act like it and to help promote this stereotype

Quick Reply: Just Bought MY Porsche