Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things currently wrong with my car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Clowd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things currently wrong with my car.

This is mostly a list, in no particular order, for myself... but any comments are appreciated.

-Noisy lifters on startup
-Burning a lot of oil
-Drivers side power window mechanism is ****ed up, panel is ripped, speaker wire is broken.
-They painted yellow lines in front of my house last night apparently, because the whole driver's side of my car has yellow paint flecks now.
-Some random fuse is blown so my A/F guage and radar detector no longer function
-Thermostat needs to be replaced
-Need rear wiper delete plug
-Random backfire when shifting somtimes
-Exhaust smells really really bad, and is really really strong.
-Fog lights don't work
-A/C drain is messed up and drains into passenger footwell.
-Vibration and Noise comnig from torque tube area.

I think that's it... for now.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:51 PM
tod84944
Drifting

It could be worst!!! Sounds to me it just needs some TLC.
Got to wally world (Wal-Mart), buy some 3-M swirl and haze remover, and it will clean up the yellow specs
As far as the rest, I'm sure someone will speak up with fixes for the problems.
What color door panel do you have?? I have some good used ones. I can also probley fix you up on the rear wiper delete plub. As for the a/c water running in the passanger footwell, pull the cubby and the radio out. You should be able the drain tube for the system. Pull it out, clean it out. Also, run some wire down where it runs into the tunnel, and clean out hole. Worked for me.....
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you may need to rebuild that head man. Something definitely isn't right if you're burning that much oil. How many miles??? Then again if this is on a 951, your turbo could be blowing oil. Time to overhaul that methinks.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Clowd
Pro

Thanks guys...

tod84944, I'm about to send you a PM...

Stig - according to the PO, the head was brand new, o-ringed, from speed force racing... so now it probably has like, 10k? or something. Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't re-use the old lifters.

Looks like tonight is Deposit My Checks And Order A Bunch Of Parts night, and tommorow is Work On My Car Before AND After Work day.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, if you cant get the paint off and there were no notices about painting you do have legal recourse against the painters I would think.

My dads workplace had a company come in and spray paint their large overhead indoor/outdoor cranes (huge 25+ ton monsters). This company didnt properly cover the cranes up during painting, so wind blew yellow paint all over the employees cars. The repairs went on the painters tab.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

is there a way you can send the head back to Tim at SFR? He gave you a warranty right?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Clowd
Pro

I don't know, I didn't buy it, the PO did.. maybe I'll shoot him an e-mail right now.. I didn't even think of that for some reason.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Clay bar for the paint.

TLC for the rest.

Noisy lifters=Marvels miracle oil or something like that.-cheap try
Burning a lot of oil=when? on startup(drive her more often and let all the parts expand) Boost=could be many things.
Fuse for AF= instrument cluster lights still work? Might be wired to ash tray light.

Random backfire= New O2 sensor, needs new cat?..or several other Air metering devices.

Exhaust smells=check seals for shift boot and rear hatch. Probably one of the two or you are burning oil on the exhaust

Ac drain=clean ac drain!

That is all for now.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Clay bar for the paint.

TLC for the rest.

Noisy lifters=Marvels miracle oil or something like that.-cheap try
Burning a lot of oil=when? on startup(drive her more often and let all the parts expand) Boost=could be many things.
Fuse for AF= instrument cluster lights still work? Might be wired to ash tray light.

Random backfire= New O2 sensor, needs new cat?..or several other Air metering devices.

Exhaust smells=check seals for shift boot and rear hatch. Probably one of the two or you are burning oil on the exhaust

Ac drain=clean ac drain!

That is all for now.
-Will try some marvels tonight..

-Burns all the time.. she's my daily driver, I always drive calmly until the engine is warm..

-Everything works except A/F gauge and Radar Detector.. this one will be an easy fix I'm sure.

-Don't have a cat, O2 sensor could be a possible fix..

-Exhaust smells really bad for people following me, I feel bad when a bike gets behind me... I can pretty much only smell it in the car when the window is open though.

-Will check A/C drain tonight.. I couldn't find those two damn holes on the radio last time I tried to tackle this... damn Sony.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fix that ac drain before water gets into the dme well.

Re: the noisy lifters, how old is your oil, and what kind? Did they get noisy, or were they always that way?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Clowd
Pro

Right now there's about 1100 miles on the oil and filter... always Mobil 1 15w50 with a Mahle filter, every 3k on the dot..

The lifters have made a bit of noise on startup since I bought the car, but never this bad.. There's not really any oil in the intercooler pipes, either.. not any amount that seems abnormal, anyway...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Clowd
Pro

Oh, and the hatch struts don't hold the hatch up, and the damn hazard light switch is pushed into the dash and won't come back out.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Clowd
Pro

Hmm, some marvel's mystery oil quieted the lifters right down, but I have a feeling that's only temporary?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you need a rear wiper plug for the hatch glass, Arnnworx has them available.

http://www.arnnworx.com/
Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Clowd
Oh, and the hatch struts don't hold the hatch up, and the damn hazard light switch is pushed into the dash and won't come back out.

Slowly but surely...and don't call me Shirly

The hazard switch tab is broke from the back. Just pluck that trim piece and hot glue it back in from the back side. You rarely use that button anyway.

Quick Reply: Things currently wrong with my car.