Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mullet defined

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This one has me curious :

00-00-89-027B JUL 04 Interior - Odor Elimination
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

A lot of those are printed because the techs are merely monkeys with a wrench.

a good one is top tier gasoline. my buddy at gm had me do a google search on that. very interesting and it applies to 944s as well. heere are links. http://www.gm.com/automotive/fueleco...te_081705.html
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html
tifo, the glass distortion one was listed under the aurora so I read it. car washes use some sort of acid in their cleaner that will distort the glass over time and if a customer comes in with distorted glass....not warranty.

the batteries were getting killed on the boat to the us, and the clunk I have as Adam stated was covered in a TSB. There was a vin break and mine is after the break so i supposedly have the fix from the factory.

others are three symptoms listed separately but covered by a simple computer reflash like erratic guages (200mph speedo standing still) and bright mph light.

adam, mine is also tough to get into reverse in the am. i run it through the gears first then it loosens up.

Last edited by Tom R.; 08-23-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:52 AM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man you just lease dude, you have no right to criticize these cars. Wow, what a bunch of lug heads.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Is there any chance the valve in the coolant line is not closing all the way when the heater control is turned to the full cold position? Is it vacuum actuated or mechanical? Regardless, I'm sure it's located in a really convenient place for diagnosis...
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Is there any chance the valve in the coolant line is not closing all the way when the heater control is turned to the full cold position? Is it vacuum actuated or mechanical? Regardless, I'm sure it's located in a really convenient place for diagnosis...
That is what i was thinking. then this morning i drove the car with no ac and the outside air was the same as the air coming in. After sifting through the garbage and getting to the few real answers I am going to try to feel the hood when in traffic. i think the thing is just spewing heat that is getting sucked in by the vent.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:44 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go through hell finding and fixing all the stuff that goes wrong with our 944's. I can't imagine having ANY patience for a car that was leased! The whole point of leasing is to enjoy the "new" car, then giving it back when the new car fun fades. If you're not having that new car fun, you are missing out!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am having that fun. i noticed a few noises and figured since i am dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow to get a small thing fixed I would give them the laundry list. I figured if I asked on a tech forum about the other problems, and the fix was either in a TSB or normal I would save time and aggrivation.

instead i got a bunch of retarded answers before someone chimed in about the throwout bearing making the noise and saying it is normal. if not, well who cares, it is leased, and goes back the day the bumper to bumper expires.

the heat was a WTF is this situation that may be because the lump of a motor generates so much heat.

Oh, and I now have a more proper dead pedal I made from a piece of aluminum angle iron velcro'd to the kick panel. screws to come soon, when the weather cools a bit.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.

Oh, and I now have a more proper dead pedal I made from a piece of aluminum angle iron velcro'd to the kick panel. screws to come soon, when the weather cools a bit.
You figure GM would have thought of that one!? Sounds much better than a CD case (or whatever you had in there when I drove it)!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Tom, I can sympatise with the idiocy over there. Unfortunately, this can happen on forums inhabited by fanboys... (and yes, it happens on Rennlist, too!)

I ran into a similar situation over at miata.net, which I have come to find to be the most elitest forum I've found yet. About two months ago, I made a thread stating that my Miata has failed in its purpose. I bought it to replace my then-19 year old Jetta with almost 300k miles on it, which was taking a lot of time to fix the little things. Since I was planning on going back to school full-time, I didn't want a daily driver that was constantly in need of little things.

Unfortunately, in the eight months I had owned the car (up to when I made that thread) I had already replaced a wheel bearing, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch and engine (effin' shortnose crank failures!), the AC needed work and the top was on it's way out. I had commented that while I love driving the car, I find it disappointing that it was less reliable and more expensive (overall and cost per mile) than both the 944 and then-19 year old, almost 300k mile Jetta. I had repeatedly stated that I know a 15 year old car (with 95k miles) is going to have issues, but to do significantly worse than the Jetta was unacceptable. That was also my gripe.

Well, as you know all too well, you don't go to a bunch of fanboys and make any kind if disparaging remark about their worshipped car. Most people kept saying things like "It's a fifteen year old car, what did you expect???" while completely ignoring my multiple posts about what I expected. I even had one guy say "Well, if all of these things broke on the 944, then which car would be more expensive???" (Which is rather irrelavent, since, well, they hadn't broken on the 944... )

So, yeah, while I agree that spending $200/month on the car is a smoking deal, that doesn't justify problems with a brand new car, nor would spending $300/month make it any more reliable.

In closing, they're idiots.

Edit: and now that I think about it (and perhaps it's just me) but they seem rather fond of using the excuse that it's "only $200 a month" to justify the car's shortcomings. Are they, in essence, saying that the car is only worth $200 a month? No wonder so many of them are trashing you, Tom... they feel ripped off because of how much they are paying for a $200/month car!

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 08-23-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, the $200 a month deal was a great one, but I do not see why you should now be treated like a 2nd calss citizen because you got a great price.

As for the hot air from the vents, many many cars dump engine heat into the vent system. I have had several where I had to run the AC even if the outside temp was 74 degrees because I could not get 74 degree air into the car through the vents. The air from the vents would get cooler over time and at higher speeds, but it'd still be noticeably warmer than the outside air. Just a 'feature' of some cars, I'm afraid.

-Joel.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I don't know about that list you have there.

"04-08-46-003 NOV 04 OnStar(R) - Unable to Connect to OnStar (Alaska Only)"

um, they don't have OnStar.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
As for the hot air from the vents, many many cars dump engine heat into the vent system. I have had several where I had to run the AC even if the outside temp was 74 degrees because I could not get 74 degree air into the car through the vents. The air from the vents would get cooler over time and at higher speeds, but it'd still be noticeably warmer than the outside air. Just a 'feature' of some cars, I'm afraid.

-Joel.

Yup! Exactly!

Luckily, winter is coming, so when you drive to a Rutt's Hutt meet, you can use all that hot air on the way home, to cure the frost bite that always happens in the parking lot!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
chregan
Intermediate

I just replaced the heater valve on my '44 because the air coming through the vents was always warmer than the outsite. Unlike the TO board, Rennlist was a great resource to solve the problem and now I enjoy cool air.
I also own a Catera which is a distant uncle to the GTO. A common issue there is the electic actuators that direct air around the cabin break or get out of sync and start dumping hot air into the cabin (or cold when you want heat). I can't tell you how to fix your car but it might be a starting place. At least you can request that the dealer replace the valve and actuators (if they exist) under warranty.
Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chregan
I also own a Catera which is a distant uncle to the GTO. A common issue there is the electic actuators that direct air around the cabin break or get out of sync and start dumping hot air into the cabin (or cold when you want heat). I can't tell you how to fix your car but it might be a starting place. At least you can request that the dealer replace the valve and actuators (if they exist) under warranty.
Good luck.
Same thing happened to my 2001 Taurus. Cost me $1,100 to have the actuator motor, as well as the air box itself replaced! Had to take the entire dash off!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

tom, i have the same problem with my cobra. we should get together sometime, and instead of comparing who has the fastest v8 car, we can see who has the wrongest, hottest, hvac problem.

Quick Reply: Mullet defined