Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet Dash Overlay

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
snyper238
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet Dash Overlay

I have been looking and can't find it anywhere. I have a plastic cover and it is already warping and crap and i dont have a receipt from when I bought it. So if anyone could post pics and give me a link for it.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

if you have an advanced auto parts, they can custom make them. I had one on my 1st 84. looks good. you have to put these velcro sticky things on it though which kinda ruin the dash.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those things look like hell - I have yet to see a good one. Either fix the dash right or at the very least get one of the better coverlay covers. Those look like crap too, IMO but they look a lot less so than the carpet junk. Carpeted dashes should be reserved for pimped-out, lowridin' 1980s-vintage Cadillacs with gold wire rim wheels and jumpin' bean shocks. Ask me how I really feel. . .
Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!

I have the carpeted dash covers on all three of my cars. I've removed the "plastic" crappy, warped, crummy looking covers that were on them. Yes, none of them fit perfect, but IMHO, they look a whole lot better than some plastic cover that turned sour. And I'm not real convinced that any of them won't start looking like "hell" in a short time when the car is exposed to plenty of sun. Do a search on the internet for Dash carpets. There are plenty of suppliers.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
mbonner
Racer

I have a Dash Mat. It looks like a poor-fitting wig on a bald man but it covers up the extensive cracks in the dash and also it removes reflection of the dash in the windshield whic to me is a major irritant.
I'm going to fix the cracks in the dash in the winter and have it sprayed with truck box liner to cut down on reflection.
Mike
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

I tried a Dash Mat on my 944S2, but the fit was bad. I then made a pattern to cover the dash properly, found a trunk carpet mat (or something like that) at Walmart of the correct color and cut it to match the pattern. My wife added an edge to the whole thing after it was cut. After that, maybe five small pieces of velcro make it fit nicely.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

for around 30 bucks it looks better than giant cracks
Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Are you talking about this?

Click ME!!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Either fix the dash right
What is the right way... replacement ?

My dash had some small cracks, not that bad....but we have had some extreme heat the last few weeks and my dash has exploded into a mess of splits so looking into my options.

I had an 84 with a plastic dash cover, looked better than splits, but cheap and not sure I would like the "pimp" carpet
Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mbonner
I have a Dash Mat. It looks like a poor-fitting wig on a bald man but it covers up the extensive cracks in the dash and also it removes reflection of the dash in the windshield whic to me is a major irritant.
I'm going to fix the cracks in the dash in the winter and have it sprayed with truck box liner to cut down on reflection.
Mike
I love the analogy on this! And I kinda have to pretty much agree with it!
Butt...........its still MUCH better than a cracked up dash, or a warped up, crummy $80.00 plus cover that who knows how long, it will look decent. IMHO.

You know.......different strokes for different folks! The ONLY correct fix for a cracked up dash, is a total replacement with new, or a professionally redone dash. And, like most..........I'm not about to spend that kind of money for a dash, when there are WAY to many other things to spend the money on, regarding my cars. Just my opinion. But I DO understand, and appreciate the other opinions also. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...............but the cost of it...........is in the pocketbook of the owner.

Clean your "good" dash with a quality cleaner, treat it with a good vinyl preservative often, keep it protected from direct, hot sun, and hope for the best. Time will still prevail.......eventually.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For the more empty-of-pocket folks out there (I can certainly sympathize!) there was a very good writeup not so long ago on this board about resurfacing the dash with fiberglass filler (Bondo) and sanding and painting with a 3M product. It supposedly gave VERY good and permanent results. Might be worth a dig through the archives. . .
Old 08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the carpet dash cap- better than looking ath the cracks, and cuts WAY down on glare from the dash. Mine looks like new and it's been in the sun for years. (It's black, if that matters..)
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brown one for an early dash in great shape. I'll send it to you. PayPal $10 for cover and shipping? PM me for details.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:04 AM
agent944
Instructor

Default Dashcap

Well, for what its worth, I had a plastic dash cap on my 83' and didnt look bad at all. It was on there for 3+ years and went with the car when I sold it. Didn't warp or anything (I parked it outside, never in the garage, albiet I babied it and always had a sunvisor thingy). I have a feeling though that the plastic dash caps look better on the earlier cars. I don't remember what brand it was though. I believe I bought it from Automotion before they merged with Performance Products.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Carpet Dash Overlay