Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 analog clock in, how to adjust time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 968 analog clock in, how to adjust time?

OK, since my repair on the brake lines was aborted (due to a kink in the hard line that needs to be replaced), I decided to finish wiring up the 968 analog clock/cubby. But, I can't figure out how to adjust the time! Can anyone with a 968 help me? There is a little button in the lower right corner that looks like it can be pressed in with a pen tip, but when pressing nothing happens. The clock is running fine, and illuminates correctly with the interior lights, but I can't get the time right (short of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting when the right time sweeps by the next day). Any help?

An obligatory pic of the interior with the 968 clock, 968CS heater control, and all of the other goodies...........
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Josh968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
There is a little button in the lower right corner that looks like it can be pressed in with a pen tip, but when pressing nothing happens.
You've got it right. It's that little button. Mine is kinda finicky sometimes, but I can eventually get the time set. The clock hands may move really slow to start.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:21 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

OK, well I tried pushing it in for a little bit, then a little more, then for something like 5 minutes solid, then little pulses, then half-pulses, then every other psychotic combo. I was ready for a stiff drink afterwards.

Is it typical for the reset/set button to totally fail? If so, has anyone ever taken the clock apart to see if it is a contact problem?

TIA
Old 08-21-2005, 11:14 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Could you try something close to your first post, just remove the fuse for it instead of disconnecting the battery. You'll just have to pay attention to the time so that you get the fuse back in on time.

Michael
Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to say about the clock .... but whats different about the 968CS heater controls?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:07 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Adrial, no "ac" controls on the 968 CS.

Tifo, I haven't heard of anyone taking one apart, but you might try posting that question on either the 968 forum here or on 968.net.

Regards,
Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I was guessing ... but the button is still there... does it do something else?

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Are you sure the clock works? They are notorious for dying.... I don't think the one in my 968 ever worked..
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

If you want to trade a full size pocket for the half pocket/half nonworking clock I'd be more than happy to do so.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The HVAC controls in Tifo's car have a colour coded label (blue to red) instead of numerical label.

I'm not exactly sure how or why. I think that is the superceeded HVAC unit, because both my 951, my 1992 968, and my friend Kevin's 1994 968, ALL have the numerical labels around the temperature control. What is funny, is that my temp control swivels freely, whereas kevin's has little "clicks" when you turn it.

As far as the clock goes, it should have two detents. Holding it at either detent sets the time. Try it with the car RUNNING.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

OK, I'll try it with the car running.

Regarding the climate control unit, it has no AC button, the button on the right is the recirc button, the one on the left is defrost. The right dial just dials it warmer (does not attempt to keep the car at a constant temp) or cooler, and has clicks in it when you turn it. There are no temp marks on the right dial as the unit doesn't know or care what temp it is, it is all up to the user to regulate the temp.

The standard unit (that I pulled out) that has A/C controls has three buttons. Two small ones on the left (recirc and defrost) and one large one on the right (A/C), and has numbers on the dial for keeping the temp in the car at that certain temp (as sensed by the little air temp sensor in the grilled hole next to the cigarette lighter).
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Regarding the climate control unit, it has no AC button, the button on the right is the recirc button, the one on the left is defrost. The right dial just dials it warmer (does not attempt to keep the car at a constant temp) or cooler, and has clicks in it when you turn it. There are no temp marks on the right dial as the unit doesn't know or care what temp it is, it is all up to the user to regulate the temp.

The standard unit (that I pulled out) that has A/C controls has three buttons. Two small ones on the left (recirc and defrost) and one large one on the right (A/C), and has numbers on the dial for keeping the temp in the car at that certain temp (as sensed by the little air temp sensor in the grilled hole next to the cigarette lighter).
Ahhh now it makes sense. Now that I look closer I see that it is indeed only 2 buttons as opposed to 3. And a quick check into my photo database of clubsport 968 interiors shows that they are all the same.. all non-AC HVAC controls have the colour coding instead of numerical labels! ya learn something new everyday!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

But one thing I do not get Jer, why did you get the 968 cubby? You've already got a working clock, (I can see the digits are lit up) and now you've got less cubby space!!!

IanM gave me an old full-size cubby to use in my 968 because I like putting my wallet in there.. which won't fit in the 968 clock-cubby.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Plus the extra weight of the clock kinda goes against the whole RS/CS theme don't it?

wee look at me post-whoring it up this morning!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

POST *****!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, well, you got me. I have a perfectly good 944/951 large cubby, but I really just don't like digital clocks, I am an old-school analog guy. Yeah, it adds a bit of weight, but I really don't use that space much anyway and my thin wallet fits in the small cubby still just fine .

The 968 clock purchase is also a little bit of forward thinking on my part. One day it may house a boost gauge instead of the clock that it does now.................................................

Quick Reply: 968 analog clock in, how to adjust time?