Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+1 Callaway car in the world

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Callaway came with an intercooler but it's just an air intercooler and a little bit small at that. I've not seen (or done) any delta-t tests on the Callaway intercooler versus say a 951 intercooler, but it's better than nothing and doesn't require changing the header panel and front fenders to accommodate a 951 I/C.

For my particular setup I'll just start off running the Callaway one and run a 931 vented header panel (which I already have) to supply ducted cooling air to the turbocharger and a Mocal external oil cooler (which I still need to get). The I/C for the Callaway goes down low, kinda' down where the lower valence is. If the delta-t values aren't large enough I can rig up a water cooling / spraying system for the I/C or run it in series with a 951 setup and rearrange/customize the plumbing to the ext. oil cooler, but I'm a long way away from such testing / R&D. . .
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt a 951 intercooler going to be harder to plumb? why dont you pick up a bigger front mounted unit?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Might do that - just depends on how big gains I stand to get from it. The Callaway intercooler is built like a Mack truck - damn near indestructable, but it's kind of small. I may end up doing that or a 951 i/c, or a larger behind-the-valence-mounted unit, or some combination. . . Just depends on what the numbers show and how I want to attack it.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

despite being as small as it is, I'm sure it's very efficient. Still outdated though considering new technology. Can you pretty much use any front mounted intercooler as long as its an air/air?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

POP- I'd be happy to take any pics you would like but unfortunatelty I'm away from the car right now so I can't but PM me exactly what you want pics of and an e-mail address and I'll will gladly take them for you.

Right now the plan is to run the stock setup as long as it will last and then if I have to drop the motor the the manifold I'll swap turbos and manifolds just to get a watercooled turbo. If the budget permits I might run a stand alone fuel management system and an ignition management system but no matter what I do it'll be able to go back to stock with just bolting on some parts. I really want to keep it stock but with so many advances in technology and potential HP I just can't seem to make myself do it.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed force has a pretty neat intercooler option.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...erupgrades.php
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Speed Force makes great stuff. I can agree with that. Tim's shop is actually about 20 miles from my house and I've been there. He's got a lot of cool stuff there!

most of his stuff that's Billet aluminum is made at his shop through his machine. That intercooler setup looks like a great idea. relocating it down below may increase lag. This is a trade off though since more air will be getting to the cooler than the factory location on the 951 lowering those charge temperatures. Good find Testarossa.

I'm gonna have another look at that Callaway article and see how they did their setup again.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
That intercooler setup looks like a great idea. relocating it down below may increase lag.

I'm gonna have another look at that Callaway article and see how they did their setup again.
Wondering where the turbo is myself on the Callaway setup. If it's like the standard 951....tons of piping should be your last concern. Our setup is not the most efficient (although better temp environment being away from the headers).
Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The Callaway turbo is on the exhaust side, much different than the placement on the 951.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

better temp envioronment?

i bet that callaway turbo spools a hell of a lot faster than the 951. dont turbos like fast hot exhaust air.
thats why im going to put my turbo where the callaway one is. just slightly lower, under the frame rail.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

The callaway does spool up a lot faster, I think I read it's at full spool at 2500RPM. Problem is fitting a turbo that close to the exhaust makes it a lot hotter so you sacrafice the life of the turbo. As far as height is concerned that is about as low as you can mount it so oil will still drain.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

and the oil drain problem is exactly what worries me. what i really need is a K26 that i can hold in my hand and find out where i can put it. and how i could route the lines, hoses. but as of yet every one that ive gotten a line on slips through my fingers. if all else fails a little box under the turbo with a tiny sump motor would work just fine.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Awesome another Callaway found! Looking good too! Obviously you still have the Sabb Microfueler for the 5th injetcor. I was fortunate to get the IHI compressor maps and Microfueler adjustment spec sheet from John Kuhn who has a Callaway 928TT over on the 928 boards. PM me if you are interested and I can send you the copies. Agreeing with Jeff it would be fantastic if we could get our cars to the Fest at the same time. With that I am looking forward to seeing more pics. Take care and nice find!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Campeck any special reason you want to use a K26? There are plenty of other comprable turbo's out there that should fit the bill for what you want. Either way gotta get a turbo to start mocking up a manifold and position your lines.

Charlie, I'd be happy to get any information on the turbo that I can get my hands on. I see the injector in the intake but I have yet to find where they hid the microfueler, I'm guessing it's probably hidden under the dash or next to the center console. Any ideas? Do you have any pictures of your car? From the description it sounds hot!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 12:19 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, I would love to see some more cllaway's.

Quick Reply: +1 Callaway car in the world