Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+1 Callaway car in the world

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tifo- Plans as of right now are to fix it up and make it a daily driver/DE car.

Black 944 Turbo- I do have all 4 Ronals but the other one has a flat which is why the cookie is on the car right now.

Geo- I have my own reasons right now for not becoming a member but thank you for that bit of information.

Testarossa TD- Nice work, I'll be downloading that information and adding it to my collection as soon as I get home.

Wes- Thanks for the kind comments. I thought the engine design was quite unique as well which is part of why I wanted it so bad.

Sythik I have no idea why the PO tilted the speedo like it is but I rarely look at the speedo in a car so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have one heck of a unique car there.
Like I said I have the logo in vector if you were going to make vinyl for the sides or stickers for the dash or anything that needed it.

I hope you keep it stock, but she is your baby take good care of her.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:42 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great find you have there!! Spend a lot of time and money to finish that car properly. It could really turn out to be a beauty!!

Keep us updated
Old 08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice f'in find!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Truely a thing of beauty.

and some variations on track decor...

Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Found some more pics that I had.. Thanks Eric

Michael
Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

More I want more shots
Old 08-18-2005, 02:40 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

PM sent testarossa_td.

Look at the stichwork on the dash in pic 2! Nice touch.

Michael
Old 08-18-2005, 05:15 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For the turbo conversion I would just run a 951 fuel pump and injectors and get a split second FTC controler and be done with it. Fuel and ignition are easily managed with todays technology
Old 08-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagger93
Yea, that does seem half-*** in some ways. It would make a lot more sense just to throw big huge injectors in there and remap the entire fuel curve...you'd think a company with the resources like callaway would be able to do that, since i know Saab freaks who have remapped the entire LE Jetronic computer in their basement with a prom burner.
At the time Reeves Callaway did the 944 conversions, his company was still quite small; I believe the very first 944 conversion components were built at his home in Connecticut in the garage. . . It certainly isn't the same Callaway with the resources it has today.

I actually like the innovation of the "fifth injector". It's a no-frills, very basic, common-sense solution. Sometimes (often) the simple solution is the best one. On my car actually the Callaway plenum (metal cone thing in Azn's picture) has a port for a fifth AND a sixth (!) injector, but I'll probably end up simply running 75# injectors and a custom map or a standalone like the TEC3. . . haven't decided yet. That means the fifth and sixth injector ports are freed up for. . . well. . . other things. . . But that's a secret.

Fuel is often used to control CHT and EGT. In fact, manual mixture control is used on a lot of airplanes to set EGT for best power/best economy or some compromise between the two - the same can easily be done / mapped in a computerized system, or you can have multi-maps that can be toggled "on the fly" - pretty slick setup. I've been looking into this a bit.

I really like what Azn has done with the panel/interior modeling it after the GTL. Very nice touch. I'm going a slightly different direction with mine, but I recognized the reference he was making immediately after seeing the picture. I'd consider it but (1) I've already started going another direction with my project and (2) I just acquired a perfect uncracked early dash - I don't have it in my heart to cut it up!

Good work though man. . . seriously. I hope to see a few of the other Callaways (maybe Charlie's and that white one and yours) at fest in maybe 2-3 seasons once mine is all done.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
That means the fifth and sixth injector ports are freed up for. . . well. . . other things. . . But that's a secret.

ha,
if your thinking nitrous, anything that isnt port injected is half assed now adays. and could lead to disaster. and no one wants to see a dead callaway.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK cat's out of the bag. . . One for a very light NOS and the other for H2O. This will be heavily boosted, possibly running a 50/50 gas/methanol blend if required. I'll likely run dual maps for "on" or "off" the NOS too. Been talkin' to Danno about getting it set up. Either 2.8L or 3.0L, depending on what I can get my hands on. . .

Hey Azn, can you post some pics of the Callaway intercooler mounting or PM 'em to me - I'm trying to make sure I have the orientation and bracketing properly done. TIA.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

The dash on that car just looks nuts. Such a sleeper!

Hey Jeff you can answer this question I'm sure as well as other Callaway owners: Do your cars have water/air intercoolers? I should've brought this one up a long time ago. Saw that H20 comment up there so I'm wondering...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:47 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Glad to hear/see you've picked up the ride. I'll have to swing by and check it out sometime.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
OK cat's out of the bag. . .

Quick Reply: +1 Callaway car in the world