Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My front end is creaking!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

No, no, no... I placed the jack under the engine ONLY to install the KLA parts shown in the post. They require removal of one of th cross-member bolts on each side, so the jack was just there to make sure nothing moved and make me feel better laying underneath it.

Sway bar itself does not require engine support or clearance.

I will be under my car later this morning, but the hot set-up from memory is:

- Ramp front of car (I use those black "Rhino" ramps)
- Remove undertray
- Disconnect sway-bar ends from A-arms
- Disconnect sway-bar supports (where the rubber wrap-around bushings are)
- Fit new bushings
- Reinstall same way

A pair of vice-grips to hold the sway-bar bushing holders together while you try to line up the bolts is pretty handy.

When I got my 968, there had been a PS fluid leak that just TRASHED the bushing on that side (passenger), the ball-joint in the A-arm, and the castor block.

The only rubber left in my front end now is the two bushings that wrap around the front swaybar. All else is spherical bearing or solid (read race car). Creaking front and rear suspension is now given for me, but it shouldn't be for you.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:49 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Paragon parts diagram shows a middle, and end bushing...which one, or ones do I have to replace??
Old 08-15-2005, 11:03 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably the middle, usually it is the passenger side one that gets whacked from PS (ATF) Fluid and oil leaks. It is rare that the end ones need replacing. I would buy both middle ones and do them at the same time.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:40 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say, may as well replace them all including the upper and lower bushings to the A-Arm that fasten the sway to it. Rubber gets old. You need to take all that stuff off anyway to get to the middle strap bushings and they are fairly cheap to get the whole works. I think I got them all for something like 50 or 60 bucks from Zim's.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the same squeak (bed springs) and it seems to come from small bumps and upon depressing the brake pedal (again, a small weight transfer). New rotors, bearing, pads, sway bar bushings, shocks/struts in past three years so they aren't worn. What lubricant can I use on the bushings to see if that's the problem? WD-40, Belt dressing?

Jim 1987 944S
Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim 944S
I have the same squeak (bed springs) and it seems to come from small bumps and upon depressing the brake pedal (again, a small weight transfer). New rotors, bearing, pads, sway bar bushings, shocks/struts in past three years so they aren't worn. What lubricant can I use on the bushings to see if that's the problem? WD-40, Belt dressing?

Jim 1987 944S
Yeah, Jim! That's when my creaks happen. Even when I get out of the car in the garage...opend the door, get out, and as the car rises, creak! I was thinking WD40, just to see if that solves the problem even temporarily.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it possible to open the center bushing clamp, cut out the stock rubber one piece bushing, replace it with the two piece delrin bushing, close it back up...all without taking the sway bar off the A-arm??
Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

You probably can, but I imagine you'll mangle the bracket in the process.

My delrin bushings started creaking recently.
My creaking may be the result of using antiseize on them (a nono apparently), though.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:03 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm ignorant here...do the bushings hold the bar tight, so it doesn't slide around, or do they let the bar flex and move easier??
Old 01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm lame! I am JUST NOW ordering new sway bar bushings for the front.

Should I stick with stock, or get the delrin middle bushings (mainly to make it easier to get them onto the bar)? If the delrin make the car harder-riding, forget it! Also, where should I buy the complete front set?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Fixed!

Here's an update:

My mechanic installed my fresh sway bar bushings....and the creak is GONE!!

Quick Reply: My front end is creaking!