Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O.T.: Completely: Tipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't bother with Beverly Hills - unless it's a curious "check it out" trip for a few hours in the afternoon. You seen one pretentious bunch of people, you've seen 'em all. . .

You can actually get through Beverly Hills for an entire day without spending a dime - not that difficult either. Just avoid the obviously "touristy" spots.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Restaurant tip of 20% if service is good, if it's a place I go to alot usually 25 or 30% because of exceptional service for instance; if you come right before regular closing hour and they routinely say no problem we'll be happy to take care of you or they bring you samples of stuff to try as a courtsy, or they give you the price of a special you like but that is not being offered as a special that day. Basically if they seem to go out of there way to make sure you are satisfied then they get larger tips.

If service is mediocre then 10% if really, really bad then 5%.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tip your valets too! Hey, I have to self-promote once in awhile. I don't beat on the cars I'm entrusted with, which range from everyday fare to a 993 Turbo one time.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At hotels, I'd also tip the maid.

Also, rather than taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, you can save yourself some bucks by taking an "airport shuttle" a.k.a. "shared ride vans" -- they are basically shared minivans and are everywhere in LAX (just ask an attendant standing around). That ride in a cab might be $40-$50, but will be more like $20 with a shuttle.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe
I have already talked to one of the 'bellmen' at the Sofitel. The shuttle will take 2-3hrs frm LAX, a cab maybe an hr. After a 13hr flight, I dont mind the extra cost! LOL
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some of my friends did that same thing. They took all of the street signs and had them piled up all over the house. Unfortunatly a door store delivery guy spied a couple of the signs and turned them in, on the night of my bud's batchelor party. Luckily they had most of them in the basement, they only had to return about twenty they had upstairs.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 AM
marky522
Drifting

I tip normally starting at 20%, and go up from there. I am a manager of a Pizza Hut, we dont spit in peoples food for a bad tip ( i have been in 6 area stores) dont feel bad for the servers only making 2.50 an hour, most of my servers probably make the same if not more than me, depends how good they are. I agree about tipping better if its a normal hangout, I get AWESOME service at the local steak house, normally only pay for 1 of every 3 drinks, etc cause i have been going there so long and tip well i get taken care of. I leave $15 for my $12 haircut every 3-4 weeks same store same lady most of the time, and they do a great job. Not sure with cabbies, pizza delievery is another way to get taken care of, my drivers can tell me 9 out of 10 times when an order comes in weather theyll get a tip or not, my parents order from another local pizza hut, the driver knows them by name and will bump them ahead of other orders most of the time.

my .02

Mark
Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

For cabbies, 10% is common, but the % goes down on the real long rides, say over $50 fare.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

cow tipping

J/K I usually tip 15-20% unless the service is horrible, or sometimes more than 20% if im in a good mood and feeling generous
Old 08-11-2005, 01:28 PM
z3bra
Racer

Also, don't forget tipping stuff like pizza or other food delivery guys. Granted they're not serving you like a true waiter/waitress, but they're also beating the crap out of their cars and gas and so forth to bring it to you. I usually give about 10% or so on pizza or $2.00 minimum. Having done that as a side job in the past, no pizza guy's going to complain about it if you only give them a dollar and the remainder of the change, but if you're only giving the guy the change from a 20 dollar bill on an order for $19.50 he's probably going to be grumbling about what a cheapass you are to himself on the way back to the car.

Also when tipping and paying with a credit card, try to tip with cash instead, since the underlying wage is crap for most jobs like waitresses, if you tip them with cash they don't have to report the full amount for taxes which isn't exactly right from a legal perspective, but helps them out quite a bit on the take home pay and that way there's not a paper trail should they be audited by the IRS or state.

Given that nobody likes the IRS anyway, I just look at it as doing my little part to keep their grubby mitts off of people's income by giving the tip earning person the means to decide for themself whether or not to report it.

Just don't forget, what comes around goes around, there's nothing wrong with being a little generous with tips if you can, worst case you're only out a couple bucks and you might really make someone else's day if they're having a rough one just by the gesture.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guess when I buy the US dollars next week it should include plenty of 1's and 5's?
BTW: We dont have any note smaller than a $5 and that will probably dissappear in the next couple of years as well. Coins suck!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

But you'r plastic bills are pretty cool!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Until you have to stack them! The first person to invent a 'bill flattener' machine will make a fortune! LOL
Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by beeg
Until you have to stack them! The first person to invent a 'bill flattener' machine will make a fortune! LOL
I've got it! use an oldschool laundry wringer with metal rollers. take an old toaster apart and put the heat coils below the rollers. 'wring' the plastic money through the rollers and it will melt together.

now whoever invents a money seperator will make a fortune!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Spider
Instructor

NO MORE MUSHROOMS!

Quick Reply: O.T.: Completely: Tipping