Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's a noise emanating from my car...soundclip up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005 | 06:10 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Default There's a noise emanating from my car...soundclip up.

And I don't know what it is...but I can describe it and what happened that started it

On the way home in heavy traffic, I was in 3rd gear. There was a slight anti-lurch, or something..like a momentary clutch depression, and then it was fine. Feels the same. Sounds different.

So, onto the noise...

You know that slightly "chalky" or "hissy" sound the transmission makes when at idle in neutral? (At least, I HOPE other's know this noise!)
When you press the clutch in, the noise dissapears...

Since the incident, the noise is slightly exaggerated when pressing the accelerator pedal - only for an instant. If you have the clutch in, it's not there. Clutch out, it's there.

What could cause this? I've read about condo -- err, rubber failure in clutches. Could it be a forewarning?
I'll make a recording shortly. I need opinions

Last edited by WolfeMacleod; 08-09-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2005 | 06:13 PM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

model and year would help in diagnosis...
Old 08-08-2005 | 06:34 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawn Gnome
model and year would help in diagnosis...
1988 924S
106,000 miles.

Fresh timing belt, balance belt, rollers, water pump.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:04 PM
chuckster
Intermediate

My guess is the release bearing is making noise. I would drive it (easy) until it goes out completely. Mean while saving money for a clutch job. The lurch? I dont know. Could be the clutch rubber twisting a bit but usually they fail pretty suddenly. Then no clutch at all.

Good luck,
Chuck
Old 08-09-2005 | 12:30 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuckster
.... Could be the clutch rubber twisting a bit but usually they fail pretty suddenly. Then no clutch at all.
I don't think most people would have noticed it. I don't think most people would have noticed the change in sound, either. It's more of a "tonal" change, really.
Guitar players would understand...you can feel the tension change as your string go out of tune... I am extraordinarily "tuned" to my "instrument" while driving it. I notice any little shudder, vibration, change in sound, rattle..that was not there before.
I remember the first time my clutch pedal finally stopped squeaking.

My air conditioner also started making a slight "whistle" today, something it had not done before.

As soon as I can wrench the laptop away from my wife, I'll make the recording.
Old 08-09-2005 | 01:24 AM
chuckster
Intermediate

I really dont think there is anything you can do (want to do) until your clutch fails completely.

The A/C whistle maybe a squeal/slip of the belt. Try adjusting the strut and/or take the belt off make sure there is no rust on the pulley's.

Chuck
Old 08-09-2005 | 01:25 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Here's the soundclip:
http://www.wolfetone.com/MP3/car.mp3

Up untill the 15 second mark, the clutch is out. YOu can hear it's a little "throaty"
At the 16 second mark, the clutch is in for the next two presses on the gas. Smoother sound, more even, like it used to be.
As I let the clutch out just after the 20 second mark, you'll hear the "click" of the transmission. This click begins the chalky, hissy noise I mentioned.
Then, the sound gets throaty again.

From about 30-36 seconds, I'm on and off the clutch. You can hear the clicks and the hiss, if you listen closely, and then I pedal the gas a couple more times.

For the musicians here, this clip was recorded with a Sennheiser E-815S mic, held out the bottom of the drivers door.
Old 08-09-2005 | 01:27 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuckster
I really dont think there is anything you can do (want to do) until your clutch fails completely.

The A/C whistle maybe a squeal/slip of the belt. Try adjusting the strut and/or take the belt off make sure there is no rust on the pulley's.

Chuck
It's not a belt whistle or whine. It's coming from the vent

No rust.

Quick Reply: There's a noise emanating from my car...soundclip up.