Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint experts - what to do about bugs :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:23 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint experts - what to do about bugs :(

it figures, im using PPG products, and we are just completing the nose panel to make sure we got everything in the right order. we first use a DP50 epoxy primer because of a few spots that went to bare metal while sanding out rock chips and whatnot, then we used a K36 primer/surfacer which fills in any sanding marks, wetsand that with 400 and then 600.

THEN we find out, the color we, DBC Deltron Black i think it is, can not be shot over K36 unless a new sealer is put over it (or more DP50) so we do that, all is smooth.

shoot 2 coats of black, not bad, but a few marks we werent happy with (dad almost knocked the thing off the table and caught it before it hit the ground, the catch left the marks) so we wet sand that and shoot another coat of black, still ok.

go to shoot clear, lays down nice! 5 minutes later, a misquito kamikazees right into it... get him out with needle nose and only a little mark is there. shoot it with another coat (going kind of heavy with intent to sand it and float coat it) and sure enough, here comes another critter... get him out still ok, just build up more clear. well we go out after its flashed for about 30 minutes and what do you know.. this time its a real small guy, but sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl... he come out with the tip of a razor blade, but comes out rough because the clear was getting gummy.

so what can i do? i have heard of people setting some bug bombs off and then you have about 2 hours virtually bug free. and we also plan on doing the whole car early in the morning when bugs are least active. any tips?

other than that, new black looks HOT!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pray and get a bug zapper. Or build a 1X2 wood frame paint booth with plactic stapled to the frame.
I painted a friends sunroof and 2 bugs landed in it and dragged themselves across the clear!!!!

The paint smells good to them, sweet like honey.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:08 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Painting in the morning is the best bet, the night is the worst, as the bugs come to the light...

Are you spraying in an enclosed booth? I did, and my problem was dust nibs, even though my fans were well filtered (so I thought). I ended up spraying the final clear with the fans off and had less dust.

Anyway, as long as you got the thing out, it sounds like you have adequate clear to wet sand to perfection.

Post some pics when you have a chance! New paint is so exciting.

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are in a professionally built paint booth, you are bound to get at least one bug doing a death crawl across the lovely clear coat you just put on. I learned that 1) Pulling the bug out of the wet paint made a bigger mess from my fingers/whatever instrument I used, and 2) Its less work to just leave the bug in, let it dry and wet sand the area and however much of the bug is sticking out and live with the rest of the imperfection it caused. Putting more clear coat on to make it "flow in" just leaves your paint wet longer so more bugs can venture by and do a death crawl somewhere else in the clearcoat. Theres always more than one bug out at night. I have picked a couple of large wing insects like moths off of wet hoods. They live longer and push more paint around while they are dying. It could have been worse for you.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

turn the lights out in between coats and set up a bigg light somewhere away from the car that will attract them. Not a guarantee but works. If they land in the last coat, let it dry and wet sand them out, usually come out easy except their little legs.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
turn the lights out in between coats and set up a bigg light somewhere away from the car that will attract them. Not a guarantee but works. If they land in the last coat, let it dry and wet sand them out, usually come out easy except their little legs.
Worked for me, and I had some HUGEEEE bugs flying around the garage...

Quick Reply: Paint experts - what to do about bugs :(