Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Water temp to 944 race car

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Water temp to 944 race car

I need to add a water temp sensor. I chose the Autometer mechanical, which comes with a 1/2" NPT (or optional 3/8" NPT) adapter, for it's range and the reliability. I was thinking that the best place to out this thing is in the head, where the stock sensor goes. The stock sensor would appear to have a 12mm thread, or there-abouts.

Has anyone tackled this approach before? Is there any commonly available adaptor? What about drilling out the factory thread to 3/8"? Seems like a lot of work for something that could me made simpler.

Are there any BETTER locations? I'm leary about the top rad hose - it's on the regulated side of the thermostat.

TIA

timo
Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can put together a solution for you. I have adapters that fit in the radiator hose that we make for Nissans. They will also fit the 944. We make them for electrical gauges with 1/8NPT sending units. You will have to use the optional 3/8NPT thermocouple with this solution. I have to make some modifications. It's something I've been toying with doing for some time (offering 3/8NPT). This will be a prototype. Please let me know if you are interested.

John D. and mods, if you feel this is out of line, please delete. I am only responding because I have a solution you won't find elsewhere.

FWIW, I'd probably use an electrical gauge with a 12mm sending unit.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

You can tap into the 'goose neck' on the cylinder head, that way you measure the coolent just as it is about to enter the engine.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the adapter that Geo is talking about on my car. Works great and is a nice looking part. The only other thing you will need is two extra hose clamps. Basically all you do is cut the upper radiator hose in two pieces (id say about 3/4 of the way from the top. Screw the temp sensor into the adapter, then slip the adapter on both sides of the radiator hose, tighten the clamps and your good to go.

I can take a picture of it installed on my car tomorrow morning when its light out again (and the mosquitos arent swarming around my car waiting for me to leave the house).
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I can put together a solution for you. I have adapters that fit in the radiator hose that we make for Nissans. They will also fit the 944. We make them for electrical gauges with 1/8NPT sending units. You will have to use the optional 3/8NPT thermocouple with this solution. I have to make some modifications. It's something I've been toying with doing for some time (offering 3/8NPT). This will be a prototype. Please let me know if you are interested.

John D. and mods, if you feel this is out of line, please delete. I am only responding because I have a solution you won't find elsewhere.

FWIW, I'd probably use an electrical gauge with a 12mm sending unit.

Would you consider this superior to the stock gauge? (Assuming the stock gauge and sender are working properly)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid question here, but if you have an oil temp gauge, would you even need the water temp gauge? If not, why not use oil temp instead? Wouldn't that be more critical? What would both give you that oil temp alone would not, apart from some type of redundancy?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

You know, I'd have to look at the stock location again to tell.

One thing I'm contemplating with my car is to have two water temp gauges - one before the radiator and one after. This way if something is going wrong I could figure out if it's the engine or the radiator that is causing the problem. But I'm going to have a buttload of gauges in my car anyway.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Stupid question here, but if you have an oil temp gauge, would you even need the water temp gauge? If not, why not use oil temp instead? Wouldn't that be more critical? What would both give you that oil temp alone would not, apart from some type of redundancy?
They tell different stories. Quick rises in water temps will mostly likely indicate a cooling system problem. This could be as simple as a radiator problem or it could be as complex as a blown head gasket. Sudden rises in oil temps would make me more nervous. They could also indicate a bad head gasket, or they could indicate something more serioius like bad rings or pistons where combustion gases are heating the crankcase.

In the end I'd be far less concerned about rising water temps w/o an equally quick rise in oil temps.

Complicating matters is that it seems to me that Volkswagen and Porsche seem to rely on oil for cooling more than most water cooled cars. I suppose those are throwbacks to their air cooled cars.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
They tell different stories. Quick rises in water temps will mostly likely indicate a cooling system problem. This could be as simple as a radiator problem or it could be as complex as a blown head gasket. Sudden rises in oil temps would make me more nervous. They could also indicate a bad head gasket, or they could indicate something more serioius like bad rings or pistons where combustion gases are heating the crankcase.

In the end I'd be far less concerned about rising water temps w/o an equally quick rise in oil temps.

Complicating matters is that it seems to me that Volkswagen and Porsche seem to rely on oil for cooling more than most water cooled cars. I suppose those are throwbacks to their air cooled cars.
Yes, we are thinking about it the same way. I had an oil temp gauge installed on my car based on the assumption that I would be able to detect a water temp problem by monitoring the oil temp. I don't want to add more gauges than necessary because I don't want the distraction or the weight. I guess it would be handy, but I don't view it as necessary, yet.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
timo944
Instructor

I have had problems with cooling, but not necessarily oil temp. Recently trhough, my oil temps have been sky high. In this hot summer weather I've seen upwards of 270, and the sender is in the oil pan.

I think water temp will tell me more about the cooling ability of the water, and that's what I want to keep track of. I also don;t necessarily trust the factory temp sensor. I'd rather install a $75 meter than blow a head gasket or even worse fry a motor.

Geo - I really want to install the sensor in the head, but how much you think that water hose adapter (for 3/8" NPT) is worth to you?

timo
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by timo944
Geo - I really want to install the sensor in the head, but how much you think that water hose adapter (for 3/8" NPT) is worth to you?
We normally get $39.00 for them.

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/prod...tType=Products

We normally supply them with a 1/8 NPT port. I will modify one to accept 3/8 NPT as a prototype. If you're willing to give it a try, we'll make you a deal. I'm not pushing this or trolling for business. It's just an option for you and a solution you won't find anywhere else. BTW, the adapter in the URL above will fit the 944 radiator hoses just fine.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
timo944
Instructor

OK Geo, I'll give it a shot. I'll send you a private message.

Quick Reply: Adding Water temp to 944 race car