Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All performance out fo 944na RoW 2.5l

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 02:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by dede944
Hi !

Cam http://www.jmengines.com/index.htm - 12-18 hp
Pulley http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...y_Code=PULLEYS - 7 hp
Exhaust - with no cat : )
FR wilk chip

That's gonna get you near 2000$
I'm still very surprised nobody here has tried a Milledge cam. When I talked with Jon last week he told me he sells a bunch.

Pulleys don't add hp, however the reduced inertia will show up as a hp increase on an inertial dyno only because we changed the total inertia. But in the context of this discussion (what whp is attainable, that's fair).

Or, a better idea than no cat would be a modern high flow cat that would cut down on pollution without reducing hp or torque (the 944 cat is very early cat technology appears to be rather restrictive).
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:30 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
I'm still very surprised nobody here has tried a Milledge cam. When I talked with Jon last week he told me he sells a bunch.
I'd try one, but you can't change cams in SCCA IT.

BTW some guy with the initials JM used to drove my car. I heard he might have worked on it a couple of times too.
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
I felt it came sooner and lasted longer.
Well which is it? Sorry - couldn't resist.

I read the first note in this thread and immediately thought of our buddy GUIDO. Then I see he's still here looking for the holy grail.

Say massimo - you're not a therapist too, are you?
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:51 PM
Sam I am
or Sam O
Rennlist Member

Less weight = more horsepower. The cheapest and easiest power gains you can make.
Old 08-01-2005 | 05:00 PM
tomrc
Pro

I get in my NA and I get a kick out of it every time, it's a blast, So I need to ask. What do you want from this extra 20hp? Do you want to be able to do big smokey burnouts to impress friends and family ? Do you want to be able to beat that V-tech that keeps hounding you at the stop light? Or do you want to do some track racing/autoX or something in that area? Me? yea I'd like a 20 extra HP, do I need it? Not really, I would rather just smooth out the powerband a little and maybe add some torque at the low end below 2k. Other than that I find the car to be extremely entertaining. I'm going to lighten the car also somewhat but still keep it civilized.

If you want to do big smokey burnouts or beat up on V-techs go buy another car, if you want to track it, then find out the rules for the class you'll race in and go from there.

JMHO
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:46 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

OK, I pulled out the old dyno sheets for my car. This is flywheel hp, corrected.
With the old cam it made 184hp, with the new cam it made 193. This was at 6300 rpm.

Right now it makes 0hp, rod bearing. See my other thread (engine wanted).
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:09 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
then why are you on here, mark with a 93 honda? I owned a mazda and it was crap, so I will assume that jap cars are made of crap. Go figure I am narrow minded. Flame me all you will, but I do not want to end up dead because some kid thought his car was so fast that he had to kill me on the freeway...

-matt
i dont care what you drive
Why i am on here is because i cant find a single web board for my prelude with the Quality content as here, but i can tell ya from those sites that stickers add HP baby....... About the rest of your statement, i am not quite sure what kind of mazda you owned but i would venure a guess to the fact that it was beat to $hit, cause most of the Jap cars i have delt with ran great 300K + hence why i currently own a prelude and not currently a P-car. And i agree with you about your last sentence, jsut as much as you dont want to end up dead either do I, but what exactly does that have to do with Honda? I would venture a guess that my prelude would do pretty well on a track, and will one day try it out, dont need a fast car, I have a well sorted 160K mile prelude to learn to drive fast...

Mark
Glad you dont care...
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:24 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

FWIW, I had one of the hightest power 2.5L N/A's at 944 fest (highest power one that I know of).

I had 124 rwhp.

Mods: ~50k miles
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:36 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

A practical upgrade might be a hotter cam...for $700 or so, JM Engineering ( I think?) offers a whole new cam. IDK how much gain there'll be for a RoW car, but they claim about 14 hp for one of their streetable cams on a 944.

Other than that, you'd need to invest major $ to get it to put out any more power.

Edit: Oops, I got lazy and I didn't read everyone's post.
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by amishman66
Less weight = more horsepower. The cheapest and easiest power gains you can make.
Interesting concept. Too bad it's not correct
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:48 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockfan4
OK, I pulled out the old dyno sheets for my car. This is flywheel hp, corrected.
With the old cam it made 184hp, with the new cam it made 193. This was at 6300 rpm.

Right now it makes 0hp, rod bearing. See my other thread (engine wanted).
Damn Kurt. Get that puppy running.

For those nay sayers about the 944 engine making power, this is with totally stock internals and only port matching to 1" of the mating surfaces. Everything else is stock. That's fantastic Kurt.
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:51 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok, a Prelude will not last as long on a track as a 944, or any purpose-built sports car. Plain and simple. I know the Preludes, and have put some wheel time behind my friend's Preulude. Its a fun car, but its stability and limits are not even close.

If you want to see what you can get from your N/A, go right ahead. Why spend money boring out, and modifying a N/A when Porsche release a bigger N/A called the S, and S2? Ive seen decent S2 cars go for just a little more than an N/A. And we are STILL talking about the less than 9,000 range. You even get the better suspension, brakes, cooling, etc... Unless you go for a 1983 N/A, because its the lightest version.

Anyways, what is 20hp really worth? I honestly don't feel 20-30hp will make that much difference. A 968 has 50 more horsepower than my car, and being in them, they arent THAT much better.
Tuning your suspension right, proper tires, various systems working correct, etc... will make your car go faster. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car too. These ARE becoming 20 years old really quick. I mean, there are minivans that smoke Ferraris off the line now a days. At an autocross, a 944 is still quite competitive when set up. Even stock they arent slow at all in the hands of a good driver. A 944 can drive 130 just as well as any Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc... out there. On the track the 944 handles great even stock. It can hold its own fine for what it is. How many other 20 year old cars will still get 700 miles on a tank of gas and do what the 944 can? Especially sports cars. Performance is a funny subject.

You really wanna go faster? Get bigger brakes. You wont need to slow down as long. Learn to keep momentum up instead of stopping and speeding back up. Cheaper, and it will make a noticeable difference.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:01 PM
M758
Race Director

My 944-spec made 134 rwhp. All stock except for a chip and no cat.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:16 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fishey
I can make anyones N/A put down 200whp on the dyno and its no BS

Just don't expect it to be cheap
hmm...and would it happen to go kshhhhh whenever you hit the little button on the steering wheel?
Old 08-01-2005 | 10:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Ok, a Prelude will not last as long on a track as a 944, or any purpose-built sports car.
Oh, I think you'd be surprised. And are you saying the Prelude will lunch a bearing faster than the 944?

I realize this is a Porsche forum, but let's get real.

Quick Reply: All performance out fo 944na RoW 2.5l