Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be able to buy my own 944 car at 16?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:27 AM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
and who in the right mind would spend 2.5K on a stereo?
A person who is going to get thoroughly introduced to life when his timing belt snaps and he's got $3,000 of repairs on his hands.

As I said before, "Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? No." I've loved my 924S, my '89 944 N/A, and my 951, but they all suck up money. They're not a wise choice for a teenager. They demand a lot of attention and if one is attentive to everything they're amazing. Forget one little thing though and the car gets very expensive and very broken very fast.

Aaron
Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes...I've learned the hard way, to not cut corners on this car....
Old 07-30-2005, 04:28 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

2.5k for a stereo?!?! are ya rolling on dubs too? to me that si just obscene. I personally love a great sounding car stereo, but that is just outrageous!! JUst reading a few of the posts, you sound like you want power and speed. DO NOT DRAG RACE!!! Its just dumb. I got my 944 when i was 17, paid with my own cash, i was dumb and had $6.61 left in my bank account. You buy you better have a decent set of tools, be familiar with automobiles and be prepared to have her on stands. The first 5 months I owned her it was quite literally every other week something went wrong. I'm not saying I know everything when it comes to cars either, but having a lineage of grease monkies in tha family does not hurt. And everyone here has taught me a good deal about these cars. Good luck in your decision. But for a first car, go ith something a bit more cost effective, just my 2 cents
Old 07-30-2005, 05:37 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to have to agree somewhat with what everyone else is saying. I have alwasy wanted a 944 since I understood anything about cars. When I was 16 I told my parents I was going to buy a 944. I had the money but the insurance I didn't have money for. So I decided that it wasn't the time. When I turned 17 I said that by the time I was 18 I was going ot have a Porsche. I bought a bike last Feb. Best investment I have ever made. Then during last summer me and my dad bought a 924S for $500. It was a parts car. When we went to pick it up, it was beat. My dad we are going to part this out and then its gone. All I wanted to do was drive it. Well basically I got the car running pretty close to stock times and looking decent. My dad nows says that was the whole plan. Like most on here say just wait trust me you will find a 944/951 for a decent price and that is in good shape. Don't ever rush into things with these kinds of cars. BAD THINGS HAPPEN.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

at 16, I traded a '72 Pinto with 100,000 miles (that dad sold to me for a buck) and 3k cash for a '68 stingray convertible. I bought it from a 19 year-old motor head who had graduated from my high school. Fun car, got my first bj in that car, kept it for six weeks - (kept blowing it's fuel pump). Dad help me sell for about 3.5k -and as I recall, he was pleased with how fast it sold.

The parents weren't exactly pleased, but after a little talking they went along. I was a responsible teen. In the end it all worked out.

If you end up going for one, don't buy until you find a good one - if the car is a hobby and you start taking care of it yourself, an N/A is a great car and easy to work on - and this is all the better.

Good-luck
Old 07-30-2005, 02:14 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

I was keeping up with the posts, but just skipped from page three to nine. Wow has this stirred up some opinions. I have two 16 year old drive with 944 stories.

Story ONE
I just bought my 83 944 from a 16 year old in town. He paid $3k for it and proceded to spend every bit of his money and some of his mom's on it. He paid the local import/Porsche shop to do the work. It got to the point where his mom told the shop that the car is killing them both and that he is not allowed to do any more work and asked them what he should do. Pretty simple... SELL IT!!! So, after he had $6k tied up in it in less than a year, he sold it to me for $3k. It was perfect for me because it had a new clutch and the timing belt was replaced. Now it is a race car and I made out like a bandit. PO on the other hand lost a lot of money and is now driving a 78 Camero.

Story TWO
I bought an 87 944 na automatic from a guy. He had bought it for his 16 year old daughter about 8 years ago. He drove it to the bank and the timing belt broke. Good thing he was at the bank because he needed an additional $2K to get it fixed. Gave it to his daughter who looped it coming into their neighborhood and hit a tree. He pulled it into his garage and there it sat on stands for 8 years. About half the life of the car. I bought it and parted it out. Now that engine w/ 72k miles on it is in my race car. Now, I also have plenty of parts from the car for sale... FYI

My two cents
The 944 is high maintenance until you get the bugs worked out and then they are awesome. They are not fast, but they are quick and handle awesome. My question is what do you plan on studying in college. If it is business or medicine or something, then the car is primarily a mode of transportation and a hobby. If it is something like engineering, then the car is the above plus a form of education. My college car was an 84 rabbit GTI that I leterally pulled out of some guys pasture. Did all the work myself and relied on my fellow engineering buddies in SAE for help and knowledge. I rolled the rabbit in an autocross and after I graduated bought a 924. Same fuel injection and a lot of common parts with the rabbit. I autocrossed that for a while and then started converting it to a track car. I lost interested in the 924 and then bought the current 944. My technique was to build on my knowledge base from the GTI to the 924 to the 944. So, a transition to a 951 or 968 is easy.

What I am saying is, if you have the time, the resources, and the money a 944 is not a bad move. However, my GTI was the best car to have in college. I never washed it. I never locked it. I rolled the windows up when it rained. I thrashed the crap out of it on the street and autocrossing. I like my cars like my women... low maintence and fun to drive. (okay, a little crued but 100% true) Definitely LOW MAINTENANCE. But you can justify a lot if you have look at it as a learning opportunity.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:16 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AJBERB
Good thing he was at the bank because he needed an additional $2K to get it fixed.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:49 PM
cwatson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJBERB
I was keeping up with the posts, but just skipped from page three to nine. Wow has this stirred up some opinions. I have two 16 year old drive with 944 stories.

Story ONE
I just bought my 83 944 from a 16 year old in town. He paid $3k for it and proceded to spend every bit of his money and some of his mom's on it. He paid the local import/Porsche shop to do the work. It got to the point where his mom told the shop that the car is killing them both and that he is not allowed to do any more work and asked them what he should do. Pretty simple... SELL IT!!! So, after he had $6k tied up in it in less than a year, he sold it to me for $3k. It was perfect for me because it had a new clutch and the timing belt was replaced. Now it is a race car and I made out like a bandit. PO on the other hand lost a lot of money and is now driving a 78 Camero.

Story TWO
I bought an 87 944 na automatic from a guy. He had bought it for his 16 year old daughter about 8 years ago. He drove it to the bank and the timing belt broke. Good thing he was at the bank because he needed an additional $2K to get it fixed. Gave it to his daughter who looped it coming into their neighborhood and hit a tree. He pulled it into his garage and there it sat on stands for 8 years. About half the life of the car. I bought it and parted it out. Now that engine w/ 72k miles on it is in my race car. Now, I also have plenty of parts from the car for sale... FYI

My two cents
The 944 is high maintenance until you get the bugs worked out and then they are awesome. They are not fast, but they are quick and handle awesome. My question is what do you plan on studying in college. If it is business or medicine or something, then the car is primarily a mode of transportation and a hobby. If it is something like engineering, then the car is the above plus a form of education. My college car was an 84 rabbit GTI that I leterally pulled out of some guys pasture. Did all the work myself and relied on my fellow engineering buddies in SAE for help and knowledge. I rolled the rabbit in an autocross and after I graduated bought a 924. Same fuel injection and a lot of common parts with the rabbit. I autocrossed that for a while and then started converting it to a track car. I lost interested in the 924 and then bought the current 944. My technique was to build on my knowledge base from the GTI to the 924 to the 944. So, a transition to a 951 or 968 is easy.

What I am saying is, if you have the time, the resources, and the money a 944 is not a bad move. However, my GTI was the best car to have in college. I never washed it. I never locked it. I rolled the windows up when it rained. I thrashed the crap out of it on the street and autocrossing. I like my cars like my women... low maintence and fun to drive. (okay, a little crued but 100% true) Definitely LOW MAINTENANCE. But you can justify a lot if you have look at it as a learning opportunity.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Great story. Yeah Im of course not sure what Im doing in college but something prolly spanning biology and computers, engineering is still likely but not auto engineering.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

In that case, I would spend your free time in college doing college stuff in order to figure out "what you want to be when you grow up". College is an excellent opportunity to try new things and experience so much all in one location. You don't want to have to spend all your time working on your ride. It doesn't add too much value to a resume either. Spend your free time with the bio-tech club on campus and really build a killer resume. When you get out, you'll have more opportunities and will make quite a bit more money compared to if you didn't. I know you have some time before you go to college, but this is advice that has openned a lot of doors for me.

From a relatively innocent question, you have gotten a lot of different views on life and priorities. Not that any of us are qualified, but at least you are asking the right questions before you make a decision. That in itself is not something that most 16 year olds do. Just read my previous stories. I commend you for that.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 PM
my84-944
Racer

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy a Jetta or a Civic, or a Chevy.
Leave the 944 till you are 20 ish and the 911 till your 30+.
You will be better for it and so will your bank account.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

my first car was a geo metro. i kinda wish i had that as my backup vehicle now, 40mpg bullet proof 3 cylinder. good times.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I took a geo metro off-roading once. What a blast.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:16 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by Serge944
I took a geo metro off-roading once. What a blast.
A friend of mine had a Ford Festiva back when we were in HS. That dinky little car was a lot of fun and it had an amazing amount of room. I think it had more useful cargo space than my current daily-driver Lincoln.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:18 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clowd
Wait.. how do you people get licenses if you're 15?
well in virginia we had learners permits, but i used it like a license

Quick Reply: Should I be able to buy my own 944 car at 16?