Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, im a newbie and have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I was thinking that you may also wanna check out 944cup.com and take a look there. I am not sure where you are but these guys race 944's and swear by them. They can be a fun car from what I have read. Haven't experienced the backroads in mine as of yet

Michael
Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Race
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo x, that is like any car, "while you are in there" happens with anything more than 10 years old imo. im not worried about that, im worried about the costs for those parts. for a some what better performance than stock clutch i bought a borg warner for my lebaron for 150 and included the throw out bearing and presure plate and all. now granted, its a k car part and k car = uber cheap, but you get my point. what does the water pump run? 600? lol, i only had to pay 35 or so for mine, and i think the average car cost about 80? just things i have to worry about when considering a 944. BUT, thats why im here, to talk about this stuff with you guys who've done it.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by Race
isnt the s2 alot more though? i know the S was a turbo with even more hp than the "turbo".
The "Turbo S" is NOT the same as the 944S (2.5 litre, 16 valve, non-turbo), nor is it the same as the 944S2 (3.0 litre, 16 valve, non-turbo). Also, all 1989 Turbos are built to the Turbo S specification even though they are not badged as "Turbo S".

Aaron
Old 07-25-2005, 02:29 AM
Race
Intermediate

dsmtuners.com is a great dsm sight, full of people who are very smart with cars. reminds me of this site, only dsms...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 AM
pcarphanatik
Pro

If you want a car that is fast in the corners you want the 944.

If you want a car that is fast at the strip you want the DSM.

Tranny and driveline on 944-spec are "weak" for 1/4 mile purposes. They can be beefed up, but it will be pricey. DSM cars will need their tranny/driveline beefed up as well, but there is alot more aftermarket support (lower prices) for that purpose.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Race
Intermediate

how much better is the 3.0 over the 2.5? what other things on the cars were any better? of course its newer which is a plus, but it might also be harder to find and more expensive. as far as turbo 944s go, any car with a turbo is more than its non turbo counterpart (unless there wasnt one)...but with the 944, the 944 turbo/951 is way more than the n/a models. so, as of now, i cant even think about getting one. maybe if i get a944, and really like it alot, ill get a 951 in the future, who knows?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:33 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by Race
Turbo x, that is like any car, "while you are in there" happens with anything more than 10 years old imo. im not worried about that, im worried about the costs for those parts. for a some what better performance than stock clutch i bought a borg warner for my lebaron for 150 and included the throw out bearing and presure plate and all. now granted, its a k car part and k car = uber cheap, but you get my point. what does the water pump run? 600? lol, i only had to pay 35 or so for mine, and i think the average car cost about 80? just things i have to worry about when considering a 944. BUT, thats why im here, to talk about this stuff with you guys who've done it.
Figure $500 to $600 for clutch parts (clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing) and two days labor if it's a regular 944. 3-4 days labor for a turbo with the two-piece crossover pipe, and 5-6 days labor for an early turbo with the one-piece crossover. These times are not shop times, but times for someone working on the car as a project in his own garage. Add about $150 for a slave and master cylinder.

Tensioning the timing belt requires a $600 tool and much labor to get at. 30K mile interval or you'll be buying a new head because it will snap and allow the pistons to hit the valves.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Where are you located by chance?

Michael
Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 AM
Race
Intermediate

what im basically looking for is a car i can throw a seat in and a 5 point harness and just go to the track. with the 944 i wouldnt do that obviously, because in seats are so nice. but my point is, if the 944 is a turn key sports car that handles great, then this is the car for me. obviously i cant decide this from peoles opinions, id have to drive it for myself which i plan on doing. but, this is being very informative, and i am learning stuff i didnt read about. the suspension modifications look like they are worth it, and are actually about as much as any other car would be.

what about the VR6 v6 170hp vw engine? i remember somewhere that this could be swapped. i dont know much about the engine other than from what i read, it was supose to go into the 944 but then was cancled? anyways, is the engine any good, and are the things i said about it even true? and if they are, is the engine really hard to get and expensive, or realatively cheap...it looked like it came out of some special model jetta or something. idk, just another idea i was woundering about.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the word "Porsche"

this is one of the cheapest sites for 944 parts and this is a rebuilt water pump
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...106.021.px.htm

master cylinder
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...77.721.171.htm

slave cylinder
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...116.237.00.htm

You getting my view?

I see you dads point of view but the corvette really was a nice and fast built car. The 944 turbo was built to compete with it. The 944 was built so every one could own a porsche. And from the sounds of it, you seem like the kind of guy that likes to work on cars and wants to go faster. Welcome to Porsche World.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Race
Intermediate

yeah, i read the tool was 500 dollars or so, but that you could tighten it by feel...which i wouldnt do for risk of it being wrong. this obviously is an expensive specialty tool i might be able to get used, but all in all, i see your point it is a big job. another thing is im used to patients, and working on things. i just dont want the car to sit all the time with me trying to fix something for months and mothns like the lebaron project i did.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 AM
pcarphanatik
Pro

Originally Posted by ZV
Figure $500 to $600 for clutch parts (clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing) and two days labor if it's a regular 944. 3-4 days labor for a turbo with the two-piece crossover pipe, and 5-6 days labor for an early turbo with the one-piece crossover. These times are not shop times, but times for someone working on the car as a project in his own garage. Add about $150 for a slave and master cylinder.

Tensioning the timing belt requires a $600 tool and much labor to get at. 30K mile interval or you'll be buying a new head because it will snap and allow the pistons to hit the valves.
The great thing about the Porsche is that there is alot of grass roots support. Although the new parts can be $$$, used parts can be found for good prices. Also although some specialty tools may be required and although the factory version is $600.00; you can buy tools that do the job just as well from someplace like Arnnworx
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Race
Intermediate

from those sites i listed in my first post, they said not to trust rebuilt parts because they have the chance of breaking. seems logical to me, mines well spend the extra money, unless it is REALLY alot more...

as far as making things go fast, i just watch alot of tv, races etc... only work ive done is to get cars running, not making them fast. this is what i want to do next though, tune a cars suspension, learn how to drive on a track (toe heel braking etc) and how to shift through corners. id also like to work on a porsche, because it seems challenging and fun to me. i just am tryin to decide if its too much of a step, one i cant afford once im there.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 944 n/a is a very dependable car over the turbo (lets not listen to bloodraven haha jk) Is had much less stress on every part is like i said it is just a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder motor. i have never heard of a vr6 going into the 944 but maybe it can??

From what you said, that you want a car that you can take to the track and then drive it home this IS the car for you. All the 944's handle awesome (better than most cars of its time) it has a good amount of power (most models) and face it, the car just looks awesome even here in 2005. Despite the dictionary of swear words i have said and created, the hours of "i hate this car" i still love my 944 and i am happy i have it.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Race
Intermediate

infact, talking about tracks and such, i went to gingerman raceway which is located in south haven michigan (i live in the jackson area MI). if im right, it was 3si.org's national meet. lots of 3000gts there, a few supras, 1 first gen DSM, and a 944 "turbo". i watched the turbo go through the strait away and into the corner, and it was impressive. obviously i cant get one, but this is one reason im leaning towards the 944 among many reasons.

Quick Reply: Hi, im a newbie and have a few questions...