Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi, im a newbie and have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Race
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i was thinking coil overs too. if i were to replace the shocks, mines well replace the whole thing for a better feel you know? polly urathane bushings too.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Race
Intermediate

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/216645-pics-of-my-e30.html

this the kind of e30 you were talking about? ive never even heard of these cars, though i have heard of the older m3's...

KuHL 951

^^is that thing really AWD? that thing is awesome, love the 2 door style and those wheels. how much are these cars, not that i want to stray too far from the 944..after all this is a porsche forum, i can do research on my own i supose. just bringing it up because someone mentioned it earlier.

EDIT: after looking through the cars on ebay, seems these cars arent the greatest unless it WAS an m3 = big bugs. i still think the 944 is the best looking over all.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Supachink
Racer

If you are in to Vdubs, i rememer i really liked the corrado, there was a supercharged g60 and i turbocharged vr6 i think, might be wrong, but i always liked teh way that they looked... still do... hmm im going ebaying, ill see you guys in like 6 hours hahaha
Old 07-25-2005, 07:21 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=beeg]Race
Listen to these guys because they know what they are talking about!
I have had my 944 for about 3 1/2 months now. Before this vehicle, cars were cars! Get you to and from work, the pub, your girlfriends (hope my wife never reads this! ) or whatever.
Not anymore!
944's are special! Since buying mine, at a lot higher price than you would expect to pay in the states, I have put an extra $3k into it with more to come {OMG service and belt change this week, not much change from $2k}.
Drive one! YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED! Trust me!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Consider the faster and lighter older brother for an NA.........88 924S Toss in a 3k suspension upgrade and see all the 944's in your rearview!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 AM
snyper238
Instructor

Dang i told him this thread would blow up.....but i just went to sleep and woke up and it is 5 pages....dang
Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Race
Intermediate

heh, you were right. and most of it was last night at 1:30 or w/e. What do the 1988 944s's usually run for? Do you guys have a link or something for the supsension stuff?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Price is as any other 944. 944's are a dime a dozen but finding a well cared for one is not rare but can be hard to find at a good price. The more cared for and updated the higher the price.
924S's are a bit less expensive and are even harder to find in good shape. But when you do see one or a 944 that is well kept and fresh expect to spend no less than 4500 for a 944 and 3500 for the 924S generally speaking. Cars with records sell higher than those without or little records available recently.

I would not concern myself with what suspension to buy until you pick the car then go out and drive the car stock in a Drivers Ed course. Get how the car handles stock then proceed to upgrade the suspension. Also determine what you wish to use the car for, just daily, DE or street stock race class/GT class car. This is how you can determine which suspension mods you need to consider.
That said if you do get a car that is in need of TLC spend the money getting it up to good running order before pricing mods.

All the mods in the world will be a waste if the car has any of the issues we all suffer in maintaining the car!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Race
Intermediate

Yeah, very good point. Cars need to be running well and running reliably before mods can be done. As for what i want it for, well, lets just say i live close to a race track (about a 2 hour drive) and i also know a few places that are awesome driving roads. I want the car because, well, its a porsche id expect it to handle great (at least in stock form if things get replaced) and be some what fast through corners etc. I know this one spot up north close to our...well, our other house/cabin. It has alot of turns, even a couple hair pins, through the pines and by lake michigan and some sand dunes. In the summer i think it'd be awesome to go driving through. I've heard many a story from my dad about his vette through there (he sold it when my mom was pregnant with me). but, i think a corvette v8 and its handling kind of trumps the 944, but then again, i dont know much about the 944, and the vette had more hp and they are also alot more. (1981 model with a 4 speed runs anywheres from 15-25 grand or so, depending on buyer/seller and condition of the car). its just like the guys with the 911s, why do they buy them? they are expensive, and not really practical for every day use (even though it can be done), and they are high matenence. they buy them because they are porsche and they are a drivers car. most likely this is why alot of you have your 944s. im not saying I WILL buy a 944, ill probably change my mind 80 times before i actually buy my next car. But, i can tell you right now, the 944 is way up there on the list.

another thing, is the 3.0L from the s easily swappable into a 944 2.5L? im just woundering, and if it is, what do you think these engines go for from yards? if the car can be had for about 3500 or so, the engine should be that much you'd think right? anyways, an engine swap isnt out of the question for me and my abilities, just another thing im thinkin about.

EDIT: wow i typed alot, once you get typin you cant stop! :P
Old 07-25-2005, 01:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Race,
There are few things you need to know.

Firstly.... Any $2000 944 will be beat-up. It will probably have bad paint, a poor interior and need mechanical work. Those are the facts. I have an 83 944 that I have been autocrossing that I am selling just over that price. It has poor to ok paint, an ok interior, farily solid mechanicals. It does need work however. To make "nice car" out of it can cost you $3000 easily and then you will still have things to fix. A mechanically solid car with ok to poor cosmetics will run about $3000-4000 including the car.

-Maintence.
Parts are more expensive that most cars. Rennlist however can help you reduce the cost of most parts by find the cheaper suppliers and with used parts as many folks part cars here too. If you are mechanically adept you can do all the work youself on these cars. It takes time an patience, but can be done.

-Power.
The 944 NA (2.5, 2.7, 3.0L) will never reach 300-400 hp. The motors simply do not have aftermaket support to get even close. Frankly it quite hard to get an 8v NA motor more that 10-15 hp over stock from. Their are few tuner that support the NA motor for increasing power. Their are a few, but these will cost you lots and lots of money. If you want 300-400 hp you need have a 944 turbo. Even then to get that power level will cost you a few thousand. Some might be able to do it for less, but it still not cheap. However it very reachable in 944 Turbo. No so in 944 NA. Even V8 engine swaps are a couple grand to do right.

-Performance -
Well with a NA you are pretty much stuck with stockish power levels. This means that most any mini van filled with kids can take you in stop light drag race. If you can't live with that just walk away now. That said the cars are great handling cars. They are more nimble that most cars on the street. On the track they can fast, but still never in a straight line. I race a stripped out 944 NA. It is quite a bit faster than than most folks think. It in fact is faster on the track than my stock 944 Turbo S. That is with the stock power levels, a little weight reduction, a nicely tuned suspension and solid driver. The down side is that it is no longer a comfortable street ride and is well outside of the $2000 budget. Really most cars like mine cost about $10k when up for sale. These cars are fully legal race cars (cage,seat ,etc) with minimal engine mods, "high performance street" suspension (not proper racing shocks can cost $5000 for a set), stock brakes, and a stripped interior. If you want to prepare 944 as track car with a similar spec it will run about 5 to 7k (car included) if you do it youself depeding on exact part cost and what mainteince work the car will need.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Just for an example of HP cost on an NA.

A racer in the SCCA ranks, need help on his name, has iirc over 30 Grand in his NA motor only and is pushing 325-350 HP tops. He also has a light weight car to use that HP. IIRC something to the tune of 5 Grand just in the intake manifold.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Race
Intermediate

thats rediculous. 5 grand into an intake manifold is such a waste. if they had that much money to spend, they could have taken welding classes, and learned how to weld their own manifold. as far as drag racing, im not to concerned about that. because of what you said though, maybe the talon is a better car for me? i mean, they can be made fast acceleration wise, and be good at the track. all for relatively cheap. a high perofrmance clutch can be had for 600 dollars for a DSM where as that only gets you the stock clutch... il just have to drive both of them, and decide then.i already know tons of crap about dsms, so im not worried about that. i dont, how ever know too much about the 944. even if i didnt buy it, i love increaseing my knowlege on sports cars and performance parts etc.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dgz924s
Just for an example of HP cost on an NA.

A racer in the SCCA ranks, need help on his name, has iirc over 30 Grand in his NA motor only and is pushing 325-350 HP tops. He also has a light weight car to use that HP. IIRC something to the tune of 5 Grand just in the intake manifold.
Are you taking about David Finch and his GT2 3.0L carbed 944 NA? That is probably the most powefull NA around.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Race
thats rediculous. 5 grand into an intake manifold is such a waste. if they had that much money to spend, they could have taken welding classes, and learned how to weld their own manifold.
Well if that is Finch's car he probably designed the maniford on his CAD system and it had built in carbon fiber. Custom for his car.

as far as drag racing, im not to concerned about that. because of what you said though, maybe the talon is a better car for me? i mean, they can be made fast acceleration wise, and be good at the track. all for relatively cheap. a high perofrmance clutch can be had for 600 dollars for a DSM where as that only gets you the stock clutch...
With level of power a 944 puts out all you need is the stock clutch. I think thos are like $450 for parts.

il just have to drive both of them, and decide then.i already know tons of crap about dsms, so im not worried about that. i dont, how ever know too much about the 944. even if i didnt buy it, i love increaseing my knowlege on sports cars and performance parts etc
If hp is you goal stayway from any normally aspirated 944.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Race
Intermediate

well hp isnt my goal. great sound mixed with speed IS though. btw, anyone see getaway in stockholm? 911 flyin through the streets. nice sound to it too (not to change the subject). id just like a track car/road car that is fun to drive and some what fast (thinking it'd be the dsm more or less).

Quick Reply: Hi, im a newbie and have a few questions...