Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Keys (For those who need them)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:14 PM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Keys (For those who need them)

I know that there are a lot of people looking for duplicate keys for the alarm on their 944/951/968 who are shocked by the cost the dealer demands. I've found out what works and it only cost me $2.39 at Ace Hardware (it's a national chain).

Specifics: Hillman DA28 key blank (ilco should be the same code, can be cross-referenced if you want to be sure, it's for a Datsun). This blank is just barely long enough, so make sure that the person copying it lines up the tip and not the shoulder (some of the shoulder is ground off during copying). Also, the alarm key is cut very deep, so make sure that the person copying it sets it properly in the machine, it's easy to not have it deep enough. The guy copying mine slipped and took a small chip out near the tip of the key, but it still works as well as any brand new key.

EDIT: I am in NO WAY affiliated with Ace Hardware, I was just very happy to find that I could get a key that the dealer swore would be $90 for only $2.39. I wanted to share the news with everyone I could and give them all the information they'd need to get a copy made for themselves. I've seen way too much mis-information about the alarm keys and how there's no possible way to duplicate them and I wanted to clear it up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2005, 07:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i got two key heads w/ lights and one blank for $40 from the dealer here....
Old 07-23-2005, 07:38 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i got two key heads w/ lights and one blank for $40 from the dealer here....
For the alarm or for the door/ignition? The older cars have a separate lock tumbler just aft of the door for the alarm system. The ignition key blanks will not fit in it. They're much more expensive than the ignition keys if you try to get them from the dealer.

Had one dealer swear that they couldn't be duplicated by anyone anywhere and that if I wanted two keys for the alarm tumber I would have to buy a new tumbler which comes with two keys and replace the existing one.

So yes, the ignition key blanks will not work in the alarm tumbler, but they are much less expensive.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hm. never had one of those, we always welded that hole up before paint.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

my ignition key works for mine. (had to remove 2 of the tumbler things, but it works) i made the key myself (at ace hardware no less, lol) i think the blank that matches the ignition is VW23
Old 07-23-2005, 11:23 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by wizkid918
my ignition key works for mine. (had to remove 2 of the tumbler things, but it works) i made the key myself (at ace hardware no less, lol) i think the blank that matches the ignition is VW23
Interesting, I may just have to try that to see if it fits. Would be worth the $3.00 just for the knowledge. Maybe my ignition key is just too wide...

Quick Reply: Alarm Keys (For those who need them)