Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

count yourselves lucky.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:29 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default count yourselves lucky.....

.....you only drive on one side of the road in your continent!

No, it's not bad news!!

Finally I found myself a LHD dashboard to replace my cracked and vandalised unit. They are as rare as rocking horse poop in the UK, and if I was to get one from Holland (the only place I could find one outside of a dealer), it would have cost me 400Euros, plus tax, plus about 200Euros shipping! (dealer is OVER £1000 plus tax!!!!!)

Anyhow, A guy on the PCGB board was hunting around a place called CMS in Telford, and he found a rear-ended 88 944 with a good (i.e. no cracks!) dash. So, I call the guy and go up there to get it today. £65quid plus tax = £78!!! (that's just over $100 your money!)

dead cool!

Just wanted to let you guys know that at least when you're searching for spares on your side of the pond, at least you don't have this sort of $h1t to contend with (and to share my joy of course!)

Oh, and if you need euro parts, drop me a line, and I'll call Steve and see what he's got.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Move to the US.. everybody's doin' it!

JK

oh yeah, our gas is cheaper too.

Except you guys got those cool front and rear bumpers.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pikey7
.....you only drive on one side of the road in your continent!

No, it's not bad news!!

Finally I found myself a LHD dashboard to replace my cracked and vandalised unit. They are as rare as rocking horse poop in the UK, and if I was to get one from Holland (the only place I could find one outside of a dealer), it would have cost me 400Euros, plus tax, plus about 200Euros shipping! (dealer is OVER £1000 plus tax!!!!!)

Anyhow, A guy on the PCGB board was hunting around a place called CMS in Telford, and he found a rear-ended 88 944 with a good (i.e. no cracks!) dash. So, I call the guy and go up there to get it today. £65quid plus tax = £78!!! (that's just over $100 your money!)

dead cool!

Just wanted to let you guys know that at least when you're searching for spares on your side of the pond, at least you don't have this sort of $h1t to contend with (and to share my joy of course!)

Oh, and if you need euro parts, drop me a line, and I'll call Steve and see what he's got.
Mike,
Can your friend Steve also find those Euro BMW smileys I sent the pics of? That would be cool. Good score on that dash, we never see one that cheap over here and we drive on the correct side of the road.

Steve
Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Can your friend Steve also find those Euro BMW smileys I sent the pics of?
doubt it, he's a p-man only. i've still got a trip down the scrappy scheduled for the weekend though.....
Old 07-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how you guys shift left-handed. I don't think that would ever feel right.

Good score on the dash.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red1
I don't know how you guys shift left-handed. I don't think that would ever feel right.

Good score on the dash.
I don't! well, in the TR8, you sort of de-clutch, wait, pray, and try to engage!! anyway, you can't do everything with your right hand........
Old 07-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pikey7
I don't! well, in the TR8, you sort of de-clutch, wait, pray, and try to engage!!
I thought that was standard Triumph shifting procedure anyway.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
pikey7
Drifting

it is. now try doing it with your left! I think we must have given all the LHD's worse gearboxes to make you work for it more though!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I never thought about that -- having to shift left handed. How come if you are on the opposite side of the car (right) the pedals arent opposite too.

Shifting a car and throwing a frisbee are the only things I do right handed. You are gonna ask, where did the frisbee thing come from. The only explanation I can give is its my palsy hand and so with the limp wrist I can get better flickage on my throws.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Originally Posted by UDPride
I never thought about that -- having to shift left handed. How come if you are on the opposite side of the car (right) the pedals arent opposite too.
I never thought about THAT! i guess it's just easier to change which side you sit and change on, rather tan change the complete control set. Then again, I'm not sure who had the first 3-pedal car, so if we did, or you did! ( it vaz probably zee geermanz!)

Originally Posted by UDPride
Shifting a car and throwing a frisbee are the only things I do right handed. You are gonna ask, where did the frisbee thing come from. The only explanation I can give is its my palsy hand and so with the limp wrist I can get better flickage on my throws.
CHEAT!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I am not sure what the history is, but it seems to be the most logical. I mean, aren't the majority of people more coordinated in their right foot, save for footballers anyways. Then again, this coordination is likely from the establishment of standards like the right footed throttle. I dunno.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:58 PM
pikey7
Drifting

it probably started when someone first put a foot accelerator (not gas, that's just lazy!) in, then added a brake to the left, then added the clutch to the left again, and it just stuck. who knows!? I'll still sleep tonight!

I CAN tell you why we drive on the left, but that's another story.....

Quick Reply: count yourselves lucky.....