Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:58 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
I was once cruising on the highway when some moron started riding my *** for no reason. Traffic was clear, so he could have changed lanes and passed me but he didnt. I even gave him a chance, I punched it up to 100MPH or so (remember, no traffic at this point) and then slowed to cruising speed. He came back up to my *** again (took him a while too!). So I stayed put and let him make a fool of himself....

...I started slowly passing the rig, with the tailgater behind me on my *** and traffic behind him. I pulled next to the rig itself and stayed there for a good 15 or 20 mins. ...

I got to combine my two favorite forms of revenge on road going morons. Speed matching, and a show of a superior car. Usually me leaving them in the dust makes a lot of morons think twice, and once they (eventually) catch up they behave themselves and accept the fact that I wont move over into slower traffic so they can pass and start tailgating the next guy a ways in front of me.
So who was the Richard Head in this scenario? Some twit driving in the left lane impeding traffic, or the poor bugger who is minding his own business trying to get somewhere without making an illegal pass on the right?

What would happen to your anatomy if you let the poor bugger past?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't alot of taxi's have video cameras? if they could see the guy came and wacked the driver door or driver side of the windshield with a baseball bat.. I don't see how that is not risking his life.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
don't alot of taxi's have video cameras? if they could see the guy came and wacked the driver door or driver side of the windshield with a baseball bat.. I don't see how that is not risking his life.
It's not directly risking his life at that point because it's the car being attacked, not the person... there are numerous accounts of road rage incidents where car windows get smashed, and the attacker then drives off leaving a scared but otherwise physically unharmed driver.

So, legally, you are not yet in a justifiable position to kill, maim or seriously injure someone and claim self-defense because at this stage all they have attacked is property. You are legally allowed to use "reasonable" force to protect property, however. This usually doesn't extend to homicide, no matter how much you love your car.

-Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, all it takes is one more hit on the windshield or window after its been broken, and you are eitehr dead or injured to the point you cannot retaliate... I know laws are tough like this but it just seems arguable.

Also, if someone is goign after your livestock, (cattle, sheep, horses, etc..) aren't you allowed to shoot them (if they are on your property attempting to harm the livestock)? I don't know if those are old laws or what?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Chemical imbalances-say nothing matters. Logic plays no part.
WRX guy-got screwed. Apparently even with a weapon he could not beat a guy with a short range screwdriver??? Says he picked the wrong fight....
F250 guy-a dime a dozen.

Here in Texas, even knowing the person you pizzed off could be carrying a handgun and legally shoot you does not stop them, now it is always at the back of my mind when I see someone road raging. But if you brandish it you are going down. In the cab case I would think you would have no problem getting off(at least here in Texas). I am more than aware of the injustices of the "justice" system. But it beats all else.

And as far as winging someone with a gun. Adrenaline says that is a bad idea, you only shoot to kill(Torso). Keanu Reeves does not live here

And on a slightly topical tech note. The Porsche 944 series is very adept at maneuvering with its 50/50 weight distribution and can get you out of most traffic situations.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole road rage thing could be pretty much de-fused if traffic cops, courts, and public education would emphasize what in Germany is called "rechtsfahren," or driving on the right lane except to pass. If drivers would conform to this simple courtesy, there would be many fewer inpediments to passing, much less driver frustration, and therefore less road rage on our crowded roads.

Here in Washington State, the state troopers are supposedly cracking down on aggressive drivers. The State Patrol even has an internet site to snitch on other drivers considered "aggressive." The cops completely neglect, however, to lift a finger about passive-aggressive drivers, who insist on hogging the left lane and blocking traffic. Freud may have considered such drivers "**** personalities," because they seem to take pleasure in blocking traffic. I suspect that if these passive-aggressive drivers could be curbed, most of the road rage incidents would evaporate.

Years ago in Texas the government promoted a "Drive Friendly" campaign, with frequent public service announcements on TV and radio to encourage driver courtesy. So, in those days if you were cruising along a country road and came up behind a rancher in his pickup truck, he'd slip over onto the right shoulder to let you pass. Nice, friendly, sincere, neighborly waves were exchanged, and both drivers then went on their separate ways feeling a little better about their fellow citizens. Traffic was smoother, and travel was fun. This courtesy is contageous. It works. It makes the day better. Why not have such "drive friendly" campaigns again?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Dash01
The whole road rage thing could be pretty much de-fused if traffic cops, courts, and public education would emphasize what in Germany is called "rechtsfahren," or driving on the right lane except to pass. If drivers would conform to this simple courtesy, there would be many fewer inpediments to passing, much less driver frustration, and therefore less road rage on our crowded roads.
Common sense and indeed the law most places, even if not enforced. In Germany , and this applies to the Nürburgring as well, the driver who stays left will be fined as well as the person who passses on the right. There is also a hefty fine for the simplest of hand gestures.

Reminds me of driving in the Olympus Rally in Washington back in '87. We had to get back to Tacoma in a timely fashion after a slightly long service stop. The locals thought it great sport to do all they could to keep the rally cars behind them! Nobody would move over! Maybe one reason there is no WRC in the USA now...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in WA State, it seems every fourth driver thinks it's his God-given right and duty to obstruct traffic, then self-righteously smirk about it.

On Interstate Highway 5 between Seattle and Bellingham, I sometimes watch so-called "agressive" drivers--those who change lanes frequently, etc.. It seems, this "aggressive" behavior is mostly in response to passive-aggressive jerks who insist on blocking the passing (left) lane, causing traffic to become clustered as other drivers vainly seek a way around. Most of the "aggressive" behavior completely dissipates when these drivers encounter courteous behavior from nearby cars.

Public education/driver training/traffic penalties would go a long way to curb the rude behavior of drivers who insist on obstructing other traffic in the left lane.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM
faithless
Pro

When I have some idiot tailgating me, I just let my foot off the throttle. They pass.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Adrenaline says that is a bad idea, you only shoot to kill(Torso)"

One shot one kill.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:46 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by m21sniper
"Adrenaline says that is a bad idea, you only shoot to kill(Torso)"

One shot one kill.
That is why you are the Sniper

You can use the little quotation symbol at the bottom right of a post you want to quote. Then simply type below the [QUOTE] tags.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Yes, Euro driving is nice. Same in Sweden etc.
A nice flash of the lights if you are not paying attention, you or they move over and go about your business nothing implied, just common courtesy..driving manners.
Of course you should not be in the fast lane if you are not going fast.
In the US on most interstates they state- left lane for passing only.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, in those days if you were cruising along a country road and came up behind a rancher in his pickup truck, he'd slip over onto the right shoulder to let you pass.
Still is. If you are on a two lane road with a shoulder on both sides it is courteous to break the law and drive on the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass. Try driving I6 from Waco to College Station some time, without this courtesy there would dead bodies strewn everywhere

Dash, I was just up in that area and I can safely say that the road rage up there is a direct result of the tree huggers. You have FAR too many drivers for a 2 (4 lanes but two of them are blocked by exit ramps) lane highway but the tree huggers have stopped the road from widening it appears. I have never seen exit lanes back up so freakin far.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Still is. If you are on a two lane road with a shoulder on both sides it is courteous to break the law and drive on the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass. Try driving I6 from Waco to College Station some time, without this courtesy there would dead bodies strewn everywhere
Yep. Still happens when you're away from the "city" areas. Polite people wave as they pass the car that moved right to let them go by.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

If you drive like a moron, you deserve to be harassed. Im a firm believer.

Im tired of people intentionally trying to kill me on the highway. When you are entering a superhighway entrance ramp at 45mph and traffic is doing 75mph and Im directly behind you, you are attempting premeditated murder and I will NOT have any part of it. You are gonna get the finger, the horn, the flashing lights, everything Ive got. There's nothing more frightening than knowing people are trying to end your life because they are ignorant.

Ignorance is not a valid defense when breaking the law and trying to harm other people.

Quick Reply: Road Rage