Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005 | 12:34 PM
peterbojo
6th Gear

Question New to Porsche and have a problem

I recently about three months ago bought a 1988 Porsche 924S. The car is in pretty good shape. I drove the car across country with no problems. About three weeks ago I noticed that the water level was down so I added some. Well the water started disappearing very quickly after that. I noticed a few times that the car was puffing white smoke. Well the car overheated last week and when I opened the radiator cap i found what looked like a milkshake. The foam was a brownish dirty color. I checked the oil level right after that and it was fine. There was no water in the oil. When I chjecked it again after three or four days the oil level was up about two inches. And i definately have water in the oil now. I've done some research and think its possilbe the head gasket or the oil cooler gasket. I'm not sure if the head is bad or not. As far as i know the engine hasn't had any work done to it but I'm not sure I'm the third owner. Anyone that might have had this problem if you could respond with what your problem was that would be great. An assitance that anyone could give me would help greatly.
Old 07-08-2005 | 12:41 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the board first of all. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your car. Your symptoms lead to a bad head gasket alright. Milkshake in the coolant reservoir as well as milkshake on the dipstick indicates a shot head gasket. Do not drive your car. If you believe you can do the head gasket yourself and have the proper tools, I'd recommend it. The average shop price I've seen for a head gasket is anywhere from $1,800-$2,500. There's a great write up on www.clarks-garage.com that includes steps on doing a head gasket. Good luck to you and I hope you have better luck in the future with the car. These are great automobiles, but not perfect.
Old 07-08-2005 | 12:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

If it were just oil in your coolant, I would say it was the oil cooler seal.

But, since you have been losing coolant, puffing white smoke, running hot, and have coolant in the oil................my money is on the head gasket.

That is not to say that the oil cooler seal is not due for a replacement or could not be troublesome on its own.
Old 07-08-2005 | 12:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

sounds exactly like my headgasket issues. headgasket is not too bad if you have tools. Hardest part of the job is probably doing the timing belt right..
Old 07-08-2005 | 01:43 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Welcome to Rennlist -- and sorry to hear about your problems.

I'd also put my money on headgasket (white smoke?). But don't rule out the possibility that you got multiple problems, like a bad oil cooler gasket -> milkshake -> overheating -> blown headgasket.
Old 07-08-2005 | 02:51 PM
patrick-87-944
Racer

Had the same type probems with a '85 I am working on. I did the head gasket on mine only to find out the head was cracked and the water pump does not move water - so look for additional problems when it is apart - good luck.
Old 07-08-2005 | 03:40 PM
ljibis
Instructor

I think the diagnosis given so far is dead on - the head gasket in an old Jeep I had went out with similiar symptoms. My $.02....

As a fellow Porsche newbie, I'd recommend finding a good Porsche mechanic that you can trust and having him/her go through the engine. As patrick noted above, you might have other problems. Even if you don't, a skilled set of eyes and hands can give you an idea of things you can repair now to ensure good performance for a long time into the future.

I'm a relatively skilled shadetree myself, but these are complex engines and experience really counts. As you probably know, the water pump, timing/balance belts, and front engine seals are pretty typical problems with the 2.5L. Get it all done at once and you'll be good to go, if a little light on $$ for a while!
Old 07-08-2005 | 03:50 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

ljibis, I don't think these engines are complex at all. I rebuilt one after only having oil change experience, and it still runs today! that was 3 years ago!
Old 07-08-2005 | 04:10 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

blasphemy! Thats why your car uses 7qts of oil geoff!

peterbojo,
Welcome to the 'list! I'm going to agree with everyone else here as well. Sounds like the head gasket.
Old 07-08-2005 | 04:36 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Complexity - it all depends on how you look at it! Sure, it's all the same principles, etc, but...

All my experience is with either the old GM straight 6 from the '40's and '50's, small-block Chevys, or the archaic 4.0L Jeep 6. A blind monkey could work on a small-block. Just ask my dad

Anyway, I stand by my "get a good mechanic" advice. If you're lucky (like I sort-of am), he'll let you help do the work, maybe even at your house after hours...for a nominal fee, of course. Being friends with a good mechanic, and keeping plenty of beer in the fridge, is the best move I've ever made.
Old 07-08-2005 | 05:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Your dad is a blind monkey? just kiddin. but ljibis, it is essentially an old straight 6 with a balance shaft stuck on either side, and 2 cylinders cut off. I mean, even the cam tower, cam goes directly on top of lifters which go directly on top of valves. no rockers, nothin. no valve adjustments... IMHO, I'd say it's easier than a pushrod engine. and ljibis, I too have a good mechanic. I send my car to him when I screw something up twice... like an oil pan gasket...

I've seriously gotta find out why my car uses 7 quarts... ya know, now that I think of it, Xagafinelle's car does too... Maybe we just top it off? do you guys top it off? I'm seriously really effin confused here...
Old 07-08-2005 | 05:12 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
I've seriously gotta find out why my car uses 7 quarts... ya know, now that I think of it, Xagafinelle's car does too... Maybe we just top it off? do you guys top it off? I'm seriously really effin confused here...

I'll letcha know this weekend how much she drinks. (she's finally due for a change)
Old 07-08-2005 | 05:13 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

but don't turbos take more anyway? you're DQ'd
Old 07-08-2005 | 05:29 PM
ljibis
Instructor

My 944 is currently my only car, so if make a mistake I'm walking 25 miles to work But maybe I need to put my fears behind me and dive in....I guess it doesn't sound too bad when you put it in those terms. Thankfully my car doesn't need anything right now...it is a 19 y/o Porsche I'm sure that will change in due time!

peterbojo - let us all know what you find out.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and have a problem