Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A silly question but....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
phil74501
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A silly question but....

I have a 85.5 944. Where the heck is the antenna supposed to be? It wasn't on it when I bought the thing. Where I thought it was turned out to be where the rear wiper is supposed to be. Which is missing as well. I can't see anywhere else it would go. Thanks for any help
Old 07-05-2005, 01:39 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imbedded in the windshield. You should see a gold line running down the center and to the passenger side of the car.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:45 PM
ZV
Racer

And the rear wiper isn't "missing", many of the cars did not have that option. Unless there's a rocker switch for it on the center console next to the sunroof switch, your car never had a rear wiper.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:48 PM
phil74501
Racer

It must not be the original windshield then cause I don't see it.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
phil74501
Racer

Actually one of the rocker switches is missing. And there's a hole in the rear glass, with a plug in it, and a wire that has been disconected. I just assumed that was either the antenna wire or the wiper.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
ZV
Racer

Missing switch cover isn't all that uncommon, it doesn't necessarily indicate a missing switch. And almost all of the hatches had the hole in them. The factory just put a little plug in the hole if the rear wiper option was not specified. A hatch without the hole is very rare. As far as the wire goes, does the rear defroster work? If not, it may be a part of that. It's quite possible that somone took out the rear wiper, but I can't imagine why.

Regarding the front windshield, it's extremely common for it to be missing the antenna if it has been replaced. An OE windshield with the antenna in it is an absurd amount of money.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
phil74501
Racer

There are two wires that have been disconected. One on both sides of the car. The wire on the left side is bigger than the one on the right. I assumed one was the defroster and one was the wiper.

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by phil74501
There are two wires that have been disconected. One on both sides of the car. The wire on the left side is bigger than the one on the right. I assumed one was the defroster and one was the wiper.
Defronster and interior light trigger. Defroster on the driver's side, light trigger on the passenger's.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

you are a god ZV!!! i've been wondering why my interior hatch light hadn't been working the past few weeks. I saw that the wire on the right side had broken, but thought that it was just the completion of the circuit for the defroster (which I haven't needed to use lately). Now the lack of light upon opening is explained (it still worked by manually turning it on (with the side door(s) open). Ok, now the question is where can I get the plug that holds the crimped wire and connects to the input? And can I use any type of wire (to attach to what is left of the broken piece)?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by hazlgreen
you are a god ZV!!! i've been wondering why my interior hatch light hadn't been working the past few weeks. I saw that the wire on the right side had broken, but thought that it was just the completion of the circuit for the defroster (which I haven't needed to use lately). Now the lack of light upon opening is explained (it still worked by manually turning it on (with the side door(s) open). Ok, now the question is where can I get the plug that holds the crimped wire and connects to the input? And can I use any type of wire (to attach to what is left of the broken piece)?
The light trigger is part of the passenger's side hatch shock. There's a special fitting on the end that attaches to the car's body. I'll take a photo of it on my car when I get home today, hard to describe without the photo.

EDIT: The defroster actually just grounds out through the passenger side hatch shock itself. Same for the lighting circuit, opening the hatch completes a ground for the interior light circuit.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:56 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

ZV -

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I know where the part is (it is broken and resting in the cubby hole below my car stereo now --haha). I just need to get a new one and add a bit of wire when reconnecting it. Is that plug something that is a common size, or an item that I'll have to order from somewhere? I suppose I could just get someone to solder the wire onto the connector, but I'd rather have the actual fitting (that crimps on the wire).
Old 07-05-2005, 03:02 PM
ZV
Racer

I believe that it's a standard spade connector. There are a bunch of sizes, you can find them at any hardware store.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Actually, lots of people remove the rear wiper motor to save weight in track or auto-x cars. Many then plug the hole with a bolt and some washers. That's what my PO had done. I replaced the bolt with a plug from Rennbay. Looks much, much better.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:06 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Excellent. That was what I was hoping. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Actually, lots of people remove the rear wiper motor to save weight in track or auto-x cars. Many then plug the hole with a bolt and some washers. That's what my PO had done. I replaced the bolt with a plug from Rennbay. Looks much, much better.
Still, it's not likely that they'd remove the switch as well. At least, I wouldn't think it would be. Didn't know the wiper motor weighed that much.

Quick Reply: A silly question but....