Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb a/c question #9759792

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dumb a/c question #9759792

After evacuating a system completely of all old refrigerant and oil, installing a new R/D and o-rings, what is the exact procedure for introducing new oil & refrigerant into the system? I have tried this by adding two cans of oil first via the low-side port and jumpering the compressor clutch and then subsequently trying to add freon. Unfortunately the compressor died, possibly due to residual contamination in the system (so I've been told - maybe) or possibly due to inadequate oiling. I figured by adding the oil first it would help to prevent compressor failure but have since been told that the system requires freon to circulate the oil and carry it through the system (the oil can't move on its own or something?)

So the question is, if one cannot run the compressor without oil and without freon, how does one introduce the oil and freon into the system in order to prevent another compressor failure? This is an r-12 system and cans of refrigerant "pre-mixed" with oil are unavailable.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

POP:

Pour some of the oil into your compressor, drier, and evaporator (if possible). Then button everything up, pull a vacuum, and charge using a set of gauges.

Check out www.ackits.com and look for the forums section (Upper left corner of website). It has all the info you need.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic site! I may pick up one of those little vacc. pumps. Good stuff.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also...

If your system is in vacume, or has a low charge, the can pressure will force some freon into the system. It may not be enough to run the compressor, but from experience or at elast on my car it forced enough in to allow me to run the compressorand charge the next can.

Heybiff
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends what you're using to charge the system. If you have a set of manifold gauges, and a big cylinder of refrigerant, you should remove the compressor, pour a little bit of oil into the low pressure port, and a bit into the high pressure port. Then, re-install the compressor. Pull a vacuum on the system, this should leave a tiny bit of oil inside of the compressor, to keep everything somewhat happy. Fill your oil injector with the correct amount of oil, and connect both the low and high pressure hoses. Open the low pressure valve, allowing refrigerant to force it's way in. It will force the oil in as well. It will only partially fill the system this way. Once the system has taken a bit of refrigerant (maybe 40% of the total amount), turn the car on, and hit the A/C button. If the compressor doesn't kick on, it should be safe to jumper the low pressure switch by now, and finish filling the system.

If you're charging from cans, evacuate the system, vacuum it, then connect the can to the low pressure fitting, and open the valve. Allow it to force as much of the refrigerant/oil mixture in as it can, then fire up the car. Usually this will give enough pressure for the low pressure switch to allow the compressor to kick on, otherwise once it's stopped filling on it's own, it should be safe to jumper it, and finish filling the system.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pour oil into the compressor. Turn the first can of refrigerant upside down so that the gas pushes liquid refrigerant into the system.

Quick Reply: Dumb a/c question #9759792