Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your dumb Previous Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:24 AM
Clowd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
I can't say anything bad about Clowd

Or can I... Muhahahahaha
LOL, I know I ****ed up on some things on that car, but I don't think I messed up anything major.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:40 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got really screwed. My PO was the original owner, an artist. He made sure the car was flatbedded to a garage for storage during every winter and I have every receipt of the car since new. He replaced his 951 with an Audi RS6. He misses his 951.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 AM
ANORXIC'51'
Rennlist Member

Well, with a purchase price of $3,500 last September and a Carfax report showing no accidents with the 3 PO's...I really can't complain. Car is getting a new wp+associated belts and thermostats,radiator,vaccum tubing, and other odds and ends I can imagine may have been neglected...I can't wait, SHOULD BE DONE THURSDAY!!!

I can say the car is a whole lot better than when I got it...even did a few cosmetic improvement interior-wise.
All thats really left is a new shift boot/****, floormats, and the dreaded hood release cable/handle assembly...currently opened by, you guessed it, pliers+cable=hood pop!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by luxuriouslyloud951
Well, with a purchase price of $3,500 last September and a Carfax report showing no accidents with the 3 PO's...I really can't complain. Car is getting a new wp+associated belts and thermostats,radiator,vaccum tubing, and other odds and ends I can imagine may have been neglected...I can't wait, SHOULD BE DONE THURSDAY!!!

I can say the car is a whole lot better than when I got it...even did a few cosmetic improvement interior-wise.
All thats really left is a new shift boot/****, floormats, and the dreaded hood release cable/handle assembly...currently opened by, you guessed it, pliers+cable=hood pop!
if you're talking about the recess the release handle sits in, it's held in by two allen head screws that are easy to get to.

i had to replace the $6 item thru the dealer.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

my PO took my car to Earl Scheib and destroyed the beatiful Garnet Red paint the car had before it was sprayed black! I had it sanded back down and resprayed black again since everything else on the inside was done in black horribly. No such long on being a concours car now. To restore it back to Garnet Red, a painter told me it'd need $8,000-$10,000 in prep work and paint for both inside and out and that carpets will have to be pulled!

Why do people do this to such a perfect car already!?!?!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Josh was an awesome previous owner. Every recipt down to gas recipts with mileage. But it needed tires, a clutch, and brakes when I bought it. All of this I knew, and he gave me the clutch stuff. The car was also in absolutely immaculate shape. But I paid for it and now the recipt book is quite large and I am keeping up with the car.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
89AZ944
Racer

Found that my PO tried to fix a head gasket oil leak with BATHROOM silicone caulk!
Apart from missing the skid plates/engine shields, it was not too bad.

The person I bought it from was "technically" the 3rd owner. This jived with the carfax I pulled, but once I got it home and was reading through the owner's manual, I realized that the person who was acutally driving the car was this lady's kid. He "gave it back" to her when when she needed a car when she moved to PHX 2 years ago. I can't complain too much, she had Yokos put on the car about 2,000 miles before I bought it and kept on top of the basic service because it was her daily driver.

But I was pissed when my mechanic showed me that silicone fix......
Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok. since Xagafinelle hasn't chimed in yet, I'll post one of his....

The guy must have known the end was near, so he put on new radiator hoses, that are INCREDIBLY soft... not to mention, the bottom one from the rad to the water pump was too long on the bottom connection... it was a carquest hose... So, due to the extra length, the hose was rubbing on the power steering pulley... we got it, and I noticed that he knew it was rubbing because he attatched zip ties around the body surrounding the radiator and around the hose, and used a third zip tie to move the hose away from the power steering pump... he gets an F for effort, and about a week after the car was purchased, the hose popped...TAKE THE DAMN HOSE OFF AND CUT OFF ABOUT HALF AN INCH DUMBASS!

Oh, and one more... the guy decided that with his power steering tie rod replacement, He'd put on new boots... Well, He decided to put the boots as close to the steering knuckle as possible, and still have it attatched to the rack... Well, apparently that didn't work, because the boot tore and now has no protection....

Ok, and the best... the guy was poking around under the car, and either disconnected (or something did) the oil level sender wire. He didn't know where to put it back, so he zip tied that to the power steering rack...leaving the sender in the oil pan disconnected...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by TheStig
my PO took my car to Earl Scheib and destroyed the beatiful Garnet Red paint the car had before it was sprayed black! I had it sanded back down and resprayed black again since everything else on the inside was done in black horribly. No such long on being a concours car now. To restore it back to Garnet Red, a painter told me it'd need $8,000-$10,000 in prep work and paint for both inside and out and that carpets will have to be pulled!

Why do people do this to such a perfect car already!?!?!
you saw what it was AND STILL BOUGHT IT, and now try to make it sound like the po was a jerk.

you'd probably bitch if you were hung with a new rope.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:16 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Drove through a sandstorm, I know because the Black hood is peppered, even the side view mirrors have a peppered look to em. The thing that pissed me is either the PO thought he was a mechanic, or took it to a really ****ty one. The upper balance shaft woodruff key and sprocket grew lose, and all he had to do was replace the sprocket and woodruff key. INSTEAD, he gets a flat-head screwdriver and wedges it in there nice and tight next to the woodruff key. Well it scored the upper balance key, killed the sprocket, shredded the balance shaft belt, and would have taken my timing belt out in less than 100 miles because it was broken and right next top the timing belt. I remember Porsche of Scottsdale wanted 100 bucks for the damn upper balance shaft, slavage yard, 45 bucks.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:17 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

not 100 bucks, 1100 dollars
Old 06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
CHEERS944
Instructor

Apparently, I'm one of the lucky ones. My PO was the 2nd owner, very meticulous, & kept all receipts. Also, I probably paid a little more up front, but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind - he had just done a bunch of work to it - timing belt, water pump, oil cooler seals, new clutch, a/c compressor, etc.....

Thanks Nick!

~Christal
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, my first PO was a reserve cargo pilot and pilots are very meticulous about maintenance. Everything was done on the dot, and I've got all those receipts (from all over the country). She drove it to 165K miles.

The second PO didn't do much with the car except park it in the garage (3K miles in three years?), and some things started to go, PS hoses, ball joint boots, rack boots. But I got all of that taken care of now, so I can't really complain. Now it's onto shocks, sways and tires.

Somewhere along the line, somebody did a pretty bad hack job of installing upgraded speakers. Cut some of the mounting tabs off, and put some really odd ball screws in there (but did get a AM/FM CD player in the deal). There is still some sort of radio thing mounted in the left rear cubby hole, and they mounted the antenna for it so close to the rear high mount brake light that you can't unscrew it to replace the burned out bulb.

Hey, got a slight tear in my black head liner. Anybody have any idea what's the best way to fix it?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:28 AM
ApexCars
Pro

My PO had good and bad points. The good were that he was good on maintainance and kept receipts. He was making it into a track car so not too many miles put on it in the 3 years he had it. He also had 2 sets of DOT-R tires and 2 sets of wheels, Harness bar and harnesses included. Hadn't modded much, just chips and MBC. And he kept all the original parts.

The bad was that he didn't care about the cosmetics and the dash and dash trim were shot. Also, he cut a hole in the passenger seat for the anti-sub belt to pass thru. The mods he did, he was clueless on. He actually had 2 MBC's hooked up in line with the CV, one before the CV and one after.He didn't realize that one of the MBC's was an MBC and he didn't know you were supposed to delete the CV once you went to MBC. He also removed the brake sensors but didn't short the wires across so the pad warning light was always on.

I am very pleased with the car, and really haven't had any problems with it. I just have to find what appears to be a very small vacuum leak and then I'm ready to start having some real fun with it.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:36 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of them held the clutch pedal down a lot

Quick Reply: Your dumb Previous Owner...