Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement for plastic sheet behind door panel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm i don't have it on either door. Oops.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:23 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna have to side with Adrian on this one...
I was going to fab something, but for $15...I rather save myself the hassle of cutting something up and gluing it on. I expect the glue won't be anywhere near as easy to remove as the old protective sheet was.

What is the p/n for that piece?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:57 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by njwilser
Adrian,
You Brits truly don't know the qaulity of that fine US gov't issue postal tape. Push on Bruce, I think that door might actually be a mod. exceeding the oem. Sorry, I feel I must stand up fo Mr. Arn and his high standards.

LOL
Old 06-29-2005, 09:07 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by adrial
I'm gonna have to side with Adrian on this one...
I was going to fab something, but for $15...I rather save myself the hassle of cutting something up and gluing it on. I expect the glue won't be anywhere near as easy to remove as the old protective sheet was.

What is the p/n for that piece?

at last !

The other thing is the adhesive they use, is strong/even, but will allow you to pull it off and refix it a few times, even months afterwards.

get the right stuff, if you cant afford a few bucks, why run a Porsche, get a Nissan or a Chevvy!

man some peeple are so cheap a$$
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeesh! And some people get worked up over nothing!

Considering that I have had to get by the vapor barrier once since I've owned the car, I'm not too concerned with ease of removing it. Some plastic sheeting will do the job just as well, so that's no longer an issue. It'll look uglier, sure. But then, I won't exactly get the opportunity to marvel at the proper fit of the OEM part that's hidden behind the door panels.

But hey, the OEM part is less of a hassle, right?

Not really. Because in order to get it, I'll have to drive 20-30 minutes to the nearest Porsche dealer, pay them $15 to order it because they don't have it, 20-30 minutes back home, wait a couple days, drive another 20-30 minutes back to pick it up, and then 20-30 minutes to return home. All to save about 15 minutes of cutting?

Nah, I'd rather spend $2 on the vinyl drop cloth, another $1.50 on a 25 oz. beer for the project (Virginia doesn't sell 40's), 15 minutes of cutting/fitting and have enough material left over to do the other door if necessary. And then my Miata's doors, if necessary. And then maybe my roommate's doors, too.

So, yeah... buying the OEM vapor barrier just seems to be waaaay too much of a hassle, and certainly inefficent, considering that in practice, it won't work any better.

BB.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Supachink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIRGINIA DOES SELL 40's! im a college student and we buy them by the casefull.... with a fake id of course... lol. Which porsche dealership would you be talking about driving to? the one in Crystal City, i guess thats crystal city.... im not sure... but its off of rt 1
Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Really? I've never seen 'em, and had heard they didn't.

I stand corrected.

BB.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Yeesh! And some people get worked up over nothing!
cheesh yes !

Considering that I have had to get by the vapor barrier once since I've owned the car, I'm not too concerned with ease of removing it. Some plastic sheeting will do the job just as well, so that's no longer an issue. It'll look uglier, sure. But then, I won't exactly get the opportunity to marvel at the proper fit of the OEM part that's hidden behind the door panels.
I've had to remove it around 3 or 4 times.
1> replace the linkage for the CL
2> fix the door locks
3> do my ICE upgrade project
4> because last cowboy didnt do it properly, and the door cards rotted to buggeray, so I had to re-do them myself. I bet you know how difficult and (expensive) it is to get replacement door cards for an S2 (rocking and Horse and $h1t - are 3 words that come to mind)

But hey, the OEM part is less of a hassle, right?
now you got it buddy

Not really. Because in order to get it, I'll have to drive 20-30 minutes to the nearest Porsche dealer, pay them $15 to order it because they don't have it, 20-30 minutes back home, wait a couple days, drive another 20-30 minutes back to pick it up, and then 20-30 minutes to return home. All to save about 15 minutes of cutting?
actually you were first the right time because

1> I get a chance to drive ma Pawsha, to a pawsha dealer and play with all the cars and drink free drinks and eat free cookies
2> The parts are in stock
3> I'd generally rng ahead to oredr them next day.
4> unless you think otherwise in which case.. to quote one of Americas greatest role models "Homer Simpson" If a Job is worth doing well do it half arsed

Nah, I'd rather spend $2 on the vinyl drop cloth, another $1.50 on a 25 oz. beer for the project (Virginia doesn't sell 40's), 15 minutes of cutting/fitting and have enough material left over to do the other door if necessary. And then my Miata's doors, if necessary. And then maybe my roommate's doors, too.
Miata... sorry I see your POV now..
no need to defend yourself

So, yeah... buying the OEM vapor barrier just seems to be waaaay too much of a hassle, and certainly inefficent, considering that in practice, it won't work any better.
OH hang on a minute Miata, sorry I just cant help it

BB.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life:

to believe everything,or to doubt everything.

Both ways save you from thinking."

Alfred Korzybski
(1879-1950),
Polish-American Linguist
Old 06-29-2005, 05:05 PM
njwilser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian,
Are those the door panels your using (ouch).
Maybe you should just pick up some new panels to match the oem poly sheeting.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
...useless, childish drivel...

BB.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:02 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Well, I just checked with Pelican and I have some bad news. The original part (944 555 178 05 for the right side) is available in PCNA's warehouse in Atlanta, but now costs $35.

Quick Reply: Replacement for plastic sheet behind door panel?