Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just spoke to the original owner of my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're the "mini-humbucker" style.

Seymour Duncan have some replacement that would fit:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...shtml#firebird

Just wondering what else is out there; what's hot and what's not.

My main amp is a MusicMan 130HD combo (sort of the "Fender twin" evolution.) Don't make 'em anymore, of course; cold steely hands stuff...

I'm sure this would add at least 15-20hp to my S2 (this is a Porsche forum, right?)

-Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 04:57 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
They're the "mini-humbucker" style.

Seymour Duncan have some replacement that would fit:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...shtml#firebird

.....I'm sure this would add at least 15-20hp to my S2 (this is a Porsche forum, right?)

-Mark
Are they using the large plastic soap-bar ring that's sunk into the body such as on a Les Paul? Or do they use thin rings that are top-mounted and not sunk into the body? I've seen Firebirds done both ways.
If the former, I'd go with P-90's. If the latter, Seymour might be your best bet. I've not been able to put all the parts together for mini-humbuckers...and they're PITA to make, too.
If you can go with P-90's, they'll add 20hp to your axe!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should look up my origional owner...would be intersting to speak with. He'd prolly find it amusing some kid has it to mess around with while it was his whow off porsche turbo a while ago.
~Eyal
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I can't see how the headgasket would blow (EVEN WITH MAJOR ABUSE) on a S2. The only way I can see it blowing a headgasket is if the engine got very hot and warped the head.
please accept my apologies for using the wrong term in my post. I should have said "replaced" the headgasket.

Apparently a lot of people thought like you do. but I was young and ignorant once too . Fact is the gasket was replaced, and the butcher that replaced it did a very very good job of hiding his handiwork. no marks on the bolt heads, no sealant on the motor. that sucka looked like it was buttoned up by the factory. It fooled an amateur (me), the mechanic that did the PPI with me, the mechanic that replaced the oil cooler seals twice, the porsche specialty repair shops two mechanics that replaced the seals the third time.

it was not until the head was off that they saw the mark from the rolac grinder on the head by the oil passage.

why it was replaced in the first place is anybodys guess. it could have been from the coolant hose and the ps pump kissing each other. Which reminds me, I don't want to hear any bashing of other manufacturers/praising porsche genius when they built a car with that crappy hose routing.

With the vin i think it goes into the database.

Quick Reply: Just spoke to the original owner of my car